Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Kalashnikov Klub (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   AK 47's with Folding Stocks (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452239)

akapennypincher 11-09-2012 09:14

AK 47's with Folding Stocks
 
How bad is the RECOIL?

WayaX 11-09-2012 10:09

Which type of folding stock?

The fact that a stock folds does increase or decrease the felt recoil.

I think what annoys people who dislike folders (underfolders in particular) is the lack of cheek-weld on the more minimalist ones. This becomes even more of an issue when using optics.

If you're shooting an AK-47 and are worried about recoil you can do two things that will make a bigger difference than stock type:

1) Get a good brake. The 74-style brake works well, though it is also a flash enhancer.

2) Get an AK in 5.45 or 5.56.

ChuteTheMall 11-09-2012 10:18

The recoil is insignifcant, it's an intermediate cartridge anyway. Add a little rubber tubing or patch as a pad if it bothers you.

DaleGribble 11-09-2012 12:13

Waya nailed it.

It's not about recoil, that's minor in any AK, it's the lac of a comfortable cheek weld. I've got an under older that I rarely shoot simply because I hate the cheek weld. I prefer the traditional fixed stock for two reasons, comfort and I can get my sights on target quicker.

Just my opinion.

smokin762 11-09-2012 12:46

When I had my Romanian SAR-1, I put the Romanian side folder on it the day after the AWB expired.

I didn’t like the cheek weld with it. I also didn’t like the slap on my cheek bone.

I went to Home Depot and bought some pipe insulation to put on it. It worked fine for me.

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pi...&storeId=10051

CGP 11-09-2012 14:42

Get a buttpad.

jdavionic 11-09-2012 16:11

I've got a wire folding stock. It's fine for me...but then again, I didn't vote for Obama.:supergrin:

ezdaar 11-09-2012 16:24

What recoil, Dont be a sissy.


http://s803.beta.photobucket.com/use...7c7b2.mp4.html

Three-Five-Seven 11-10-2012 17:00

No problemo.

WASRfan 11-11-2012 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezdaar (Post 19613659)
What recoil, Dont be a sissy.


+1. 9yr olds in Somalia shoot AKs...

CarlosC 11-15-2012 19:22

The recoil on any AK is negligible. Try a Moisin Nagant M-38. Nothing like a 7.62x54 in a carbine to put some hair on your chest.
Seriously though, just be sure to keep the AK, or any rifle, nice and tight against the shoulder and the felt kick will be a lot less.

MeanAction 11-17-2012 01:26

Negligible. The issue I see is the underfolder not being along the axsis of the bore and not getting a good cheek weld. It's more of a jaw weld.

chief63 11-17-2012 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanAction (Post 19640270)
Negligible. The issue I see is the underfolder not being along the axsis of the bore and not getting a good cheek weld. It's more of a jaw weld.

This is true playing with my first AMD. I need a forgiving red dot.

MeanAction 11-17-2012 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief63 (Post 19640352)
This is true playing with my first AMD. I need a forgiving red dot.

Yeah, I'm rocking a Aimpoint Comp M so there is really no need for a cheek weld. Stand at the ready. Focus on your target. Take weapon off safe. Raise weapon till the dot is on your target. Pull the trigger. Stay focused on your target throught process.

maxxmojo 11-17-2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosC (Post 19636164)
The recoil on any AK is negligible. Try a Moisin Nagant M-38. Nothing like a 7.62x54 in a carbine to put some hair on your chest.

Or burn it off with the subsequent fireball.

Honestly if the recoil on one's AK is too much for them then a good muzzle device will solve that problem.

mjkeat 11-18-2012 14:37

The pros of a good cheek weld is being overlooked.

As far as recoil goes. I doubt there is a person here that can hold their sights on a target w/o them moving under recoil.

SFF900 11-18-2012 22:13

My experience is with an interarms underfolder. Slightly uncomfortable with the factory slant brake for recreational shooting. Under stress I would never notice it it would be a non-issue. I replaced my slant brake with the PWS FSC47 and that made a big difference, not uncomfortable at all.

HexHead 11-19-2012 06:19

I've got a Polish Tantal AK-74, which has the E. German wire side folder. Not uncomfortable at all.

Dan Glock 11-19-2012 10:07

Same here. I just shot 100 rds with my Polish underfold not much difference against standard butt stock. I actually prefer it now, it looks intimidating at the range

mdlott 11-19-2012 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief63 (Post 19640352)
This is true playing with my first AMD. I need a forgiving red dot.

You might try a cheek riser from amd65tech.com. I've got one coming for mine, and it appears to be a good solution to the problem. We shall see.

WayaX 11-19-2012 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19644972)
As far as recoil goes. I doubt there is a person here that can hold their sights on a target w/o them moving under recoil.

Keeping sights on target and keeping sights from moving are two different things.

Keeping sights on target is a function of distance, cartridge/rifle combination, and your ability to control the gun. This requires some training, but is not that difficult to achieve at closer distances with an AK. Keeping sights from moving would require not breathing, no heart-beat, no recoil, and no muscle fatigue.

mjkeat 11-19-2012 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayaX (Post 19647973)
Keeping sights on target and keeping sights from moving are two different things.

Keeping sights on target is a function of distance, cartridge/rifle combination, and your ability to control the gun. This requires some training, but is not that difficult to achieve at closer distances with an AK. Keeping sights from moving would require not breathing, no heart-beat, no recoil, and no muscle fatigue.

I think my point was missed. I was attempting to point out the absurdity of those claiming recoil is not an issue.

WayaX 11-19-2012 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19648201)
I think my point was missed. I was attempting to point out the absurdity of those claiming recoil is not an issue.

I guess I did miss it. Yes, recoil is an issue on any rifle for the untrained, unpracticed, and unprepaired. Even for those who are, recoil can be substantially controlled (in intermediate calibers), but will always be a consideration.

mjkeat 11-19-2012 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayaX (Post 19648950)
I guess I did miss it. Yes, recoil is an issue on any rifle for the untrained, unpracticed, and unprepaired. Even for those who are, recoil can be substantially controlled (in intermediate calibers), but will always be a consideration.

In your defense I wasn't real clear in my original post.

Compensators/brakes are great in my opinion. Every advantage is welcome in my book.

MeanAction 11-20-2012 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19644972)
The pros of a good cheek weld is being overlooked.

As far as recoil goes. I doubt there is a person here that can hold their sights on a target w/o them moving under recoil.

Since I have moved to the reflex/red dot underfolder world, I've changed my mind about cheek weld. I feel like the lack of check weld helps me stay on target better. The is no jarring of the face which in turn jars the eye. It's more like a video game. Just keep the dot on your target. I was totally worried about check weld at first but after my range trip that changed. 25m hitting targets at will with zero check weld. This article is interesting cause the Army had to learn to shoot reflex sights without a critical cheek weld. http://762precision.wordpress.com/ar...ight-red-dots/


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.