Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   .22 LR which one do you like? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451071)

Kentguy 11-03-2012 18:59

.22 LR which one do you like?

Greetings,

A couple of days ago I had an itch to shoot some .22's. I have a Savage mark II BXP rifle with a Bushnell scope and a Colt Gold Cup 1911 Government model w/5" barrel and the ammo I had was the Federal bulk pack stuff, CCI Stinger & Velocitor rounds. Everything cycled fine with the exception of just a few of the Federal's in my Colt pistol.

I was wondering what do you folks like to shoot when you hit the range for .22 LR time? The ones I mentioned above is my usual ammo but I would like to try something different.

Any suggestions?

shotgunred 11-03-2012 20:23

I haven't had any problems with any of my 22's with bulk packs so that is what I will continue to use.

Ljutic 11-03-2012 20:37

If you want to see how accurate your rifle can be, try the Wolf Match Target. It does really well in my Mark II FV-SR.

countrygun 11-03-2012 20:40

All .22s, even the same brand and mosel will have their own taste in ammo for best results so I try to keep several boxes of each guns favorite, but I also bulk buy bricks of different ammo on sale because I know one of my .22s will probably like it. I had problems with a lot of duds in the Remington bulk in the brown and white bozes no matter what gun so i stopped buying them.

For plinking generally CCI bulk.

unit1069 11-03-2012 22:01

Through my Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" pistol I've found that the Federal bulk pack ammo is the most reliable for cheap range ammo.

All the Speer CCI ammo in Mini-Mag, Stinger, and Velocitor has been reliable when you step up to the premium .22lr ammo.

SJ 40 11-04-2012 08:47

When it comes to bulk 22 lr plinking ammo every time Dicks has the Remington Golden Bullet 525 ct. boxes on sale I grab one. I have yet to not have it run well from any of my 22's,no FTF's and in the guns that really like it excellent accuracy. SJ 40

michael e 11-04-2012 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ 40 (Post 19589515)
When it comes to bulk 22 lr plinking ammo every time Dicks has the Remington Golden Bullet 525 ct. boxes on sale I grab one. I have yet to not have it run well from any of my 22's,no FTF's and in the guns that really like it excellent accuracy. SJ 40

This is what I use, runs in all 11 of my 22s . Only brand I have found that will run in them all.

ditto1958 11-04-2012 09:58

None of my 22's are picky. I try to stay away from ammo that burns really dirty. Otherwise, I try to shoot the cheapest I can buy.

robhic 11-04-2012 10:41

The bulk Winchester and Federal boxes from Walmart are some of my favorites, and my Ruger MkIIIs like it too! :supergrin: It is inexpensive and shoots without issue for me. For real reliability there are always the CCI MiniMags.

Warp 11-04-2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentguy (Post 19588016)
Greetings,

A couple of days ago I had an itch to shoot some .22's. I have a Savage mark II BXP rifle with a Bushnell scope and a Colt Gold Cup 1911 Government model w/5" barrel and the ammo I had was the Federal bulk pack stuff, CCI Stinger & Velocitor rounds. Everything cycled fine with the exception of just a few of the Federal's in my Colt pistol.

I was wondering what do you folks like to shoot when you hit the range for .22 LR time? The ones I mentioned above is my usual ammo but I would like to try something different.

Any suggestions?

CCI .22lr is awesome.

Stingers and Velocitors would not be my choice for the range due to lack of accuracy. Mini Mags have enough oomph to run even dirty semi autos, virtually never fail to fire (mine never have), and are reasonably accurate.

CCI Standard Velocity is a good inexpensive target round, especially if you get the stuff packaged in the less expensive boxes vs the expensive plastic.

Federal seems to be the better bulk pack. I understand Remington upgraded theirs, but I refuse to buy it after they marketed the absolute POS that was the "Golden Bullet" for so long.

Wolf Match Target is an excellent target round for the money.

SCmasterblaster 11-04-2012 13:59

My Ruger Mk II

likes the CCI Green tag. :cool:

Kentguy 11-04-2012 16:35

I stopped by my favorite ammo shop and picked up some Wolf match target and CCI mini-mags for something else to run down the range.

Thanks for all the suggestions I have just a few more that I want to buy and try out like Winchester brand. They have several different types and I have had some good reports on several of them.

Another brand I have heard some good things about is the Aguila SuperMaximum Hyper Velocity 30g rounds.

Has anyone shot the CCI "Segmented" HP rounds?

SCmasterblaster 11-04-2012 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit1069 (Post 19588658)
Through my Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" pistol I've found that the Federal bulk pack ammo is the most reliable for cheap range ammo.

All the Speer CCI ammo in Mini-Mag, Stinger, and Velocitor has been reliable when you step up to the premium .22lr ammo.

I also have a Ruger MkII 6 7/8" and your ammo choices match mine exactly. :cool:

rv4driver 11-05-2012 08:25

As a Bullseye shooter, I've tested a lot of brands and types in my guns, and haven't found anything to exceed the reliability or accuracy of CCI Standard Velocity. It won't lock the slide back on my Hammerli on the last shot, so it is too weak for some semi-autos, I'm sure, but it does cycle every round. I've tried the CCI Green Tag and didn't see any difference in reliability or accuracy over the cheaper Standard Velocity (in my gun...). It's sub-sonic so probably not good for semi-auto pistols.
Wolf Match Target is just as accurate, smells different.
The regular CCI stuff is a bit stouter for semi-autos, and is almost as accurate as the Standard Velocity in my shooting. I use Peters 500 round high velocity bulk packs (brown box) for training and general plinking. Great ammo and great pricing.

The only thing I will not buy is Remington Bulk pack stuff.
Once bitten, ya' know.

SCmasterblaster 11-05-2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv4driver (Post 19592950)
As a Bullseye shooter, I've tested a lot of brands and types in my guns, and haven't found anything to exceed the reliability or accuracy of CCI Standard Velocity. It won't lock the slide back on my Hammerli on the last shot, so it is too weak for some semi-autos, I'm sure, but it does cycle every round. I've tried the CCI Green Tag and didn't see any difference in reliability or accuracy over the cheaper Standard Velocity (in my gun...). It's sub-sonic so probably not good for semi-auto pistols.
Wolf Match Target is just as accurate, smells different.
The regular CCI stuff is a bit stouter for semi-autos, and is almost as accurate as the Standard Velocity in my shooting. I use Peters 500 round high velocity bulk packs (brown box) for training and general plinking. Great ammo and great pricing.

The only thing I will not buy is Remington Bulk pack stuff.
Once bitten, ya' know.

There sure is a wide variety of .22 LR ammo. :cool:

Batesmotel 11-05-2012 10:13

My overall favorite is Winchester Super X 40 Grain Standard Velocity.

In my S&W 41 I only shoot Federal Gold Medal or Eley Tenex.
My wife's Browning Buchmark 5.5 Match Likes most Match ammo.

When I hunted rabbit a lot I would sometimes run CCI Stingers or Mini-Mags in a Browning A Bolt.

With the Boy Scouts we received a massive shipment if CCI Standard Velocity Factory Seconds as a grant/donation. Other than a slightly higher than normal rate of bad primers they shoot great.

Batesmotel 11-05-2012 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 19593244)
There sure is a wide variety of .22 LR ammo. :cool:

Testing .22LR ammo in a variety of guns can become a hobby in it's self. Tons of fun and not too expensive.

janice6 11-05-2012 10:46

Federal bulk pack is my favorite for my S & W 22S, 7" bbl.. Very reliable and rarely a FTF.

I quit buying Remington bulk pack when I had so many FTF in each pack. Every 5th or 6th shell, and repeated firing pin strikes had no effect. I finally pulled the bullets in some of the FTF and found no primers in them. After that, I will not touch Remington at any price.

My gun is more accurate than I am so no comments on the ammunition accuracy.

I shoot .22 at about 50 to 75 feet (range max).

collim1 11-05-2012 15:03

The Savage MKII is an awesome .22LR bolt gun. Mine loves CCI Blazer .22 and shoots it better than any other I have tried, except match grade stuff. I dont compete, so my .22 is for fun and occasional squirrel/rabbit hunting after deer season ends.

SCmasterblaster 11-05-2012 16:24

If I had to pick one, though, it would be the Federal JHP bulk pack.