Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My shiny boots finally paid off (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450953)

collim1 11-03-2012 01:34

My shiny boots finally paid off

Today the entire shift, minus me, got an earful about their boots looking like crap.

I have been putting Kiwi on my boots every week for years and have caught crap from the BDU guys for years.

Today for once, I got to be excluded from the rant of the day butt chewing.

Besides looking good they wipe clean with a damp rag and scratches only get the layer of polish so they buff out and dont damage the leather.

Shine away guys.

OFCJIM40 11-03-2012 02:29

Company man.

Kidding

Patchman 11-03-2012 06:28

Good for you!

sheriff733 11-03-2012 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by collim1 (Post 19585563)
Today the entire shift, minus me, got an earful about their boots looking like crap.

I have been putting Kiwi on my boots every week for years and have caught crap from the BDU guys for years.

Today for once, I got to be excluded from the rant of the day butt chewing.

Besides looking good they wipe clean with a damp rag and scratches only get the layer of polish so they buff out and dont damage the leather.

Shine away guys.

Yeah, that's what our kiss assess do here, too.

:tongueout:

j/k

I don't polish. So, I just went and bought a pair of the 5.11 HRT boots (I think is what they are called) with the felt toe so now I have an excuse not to. :supergrin:

Kingarthurhk 11-03-2012 07:36

In the Border Patrol we had a Field Office Supervisor who wanted brass polished and boots and leather polished before shift. They didn't care what mess you looked like after shift when you had been humping the brush for 10 hours.

On day shift I thought the shiny brass was stupid. You weren't going to catch many people lit up like a Christmas tree when the sun hit you.

But, that was old patrol. The new kids get nylon instead of leather and no brass to polish. Less work, and less wear and tear on the back.

Mattz 11-03-2012 08:45

Good for you. I polish my boots everyday before shift. Used to catch ****, too.. even to the point guys were telling me to stop polishing my boots. lol

msu_grad_121 11-03-2012 09:18

Funny, this just came up a few days ago on mids. One of the shift's "old timers" was giving the newb on afternoons grief for her boots looking like mirrors, and started in on me, too. Mine aren't shined like hers, but they're definitely better than his. "Oh it's not tactical to have your boots shined like that."

I just told him that by that logic, his shiny bald head isn't tactical, either, and FAR more likely to light him up than our boots. :supergrin:

Kingarthurhk 11-03-2012 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 (Post 19586224)
Funny, this just came up a few days ago on mids. One of the shift's "old timers" was giving the newb on afternoons grief for her boots looking like mirrors, and started in on me, too. Mine aren't shined like hers, but they're definitely better than his. "Oh it's not tactical to have your boots shined like that."

I just told him that by that logic, his shiny bald head isn't tactical, either, and FAR more likely to light him up than our boots. :supergrin:

Speaking of not tactical. We had a former police officer from New Orleans come to our border patrol station as a trainee. I would always show up to muster early, it helps to get a seat in the back. I would smell him comming and call out his name before he reached the muster room. He asked me how I knew it was him. I told him it was his aftershave that was pretty pungent. I told him, I could smell him, when wind changes direction in the brush so could all the illegals. No one smells like that out in the brush.:rofl:

Panzergrenadier1979 11-03-2012 09:30

Our troopers seem to compete with each other over who has the least shined boots.

merlynusn 11-03-2012 09:45

I don't think boots should look like mirrors, but they should at least be black and not greenish because it's been so long since they have had a coat of polish.

Kingarthurhk 11-03-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzergrenadier1979 (Post 19586250)
Our troopers seem to compete with each other over who has the least shined boots.

My wife and I had a deal struck up. I would polish boots, brass and leather. She would iron my uniform. Then again, I would polish her shoes for her too.:supergrin:

CitizenOfDreams 11-03-2012 09:58

I thought this thread would be about kicking a civilian with your shiny boots. :dunno:

Morris 11-03-2012 10:26

The last time we had any sort of formal inspection was about six years ago. Boots were clean, serviceable and black. In our area, being polished lasts about as long as it takes to walk to the car.

We have a few gray toes that make me cringe. But since I am not a sergeant, I just shake my head and continue on. It's up to me to keep my gear and footwear in proper order.

blueiron 11-03-2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19586240)
No one smells like that out in the brush.:rofl:

Perhaps, but the nortenos do when out on the weekend here. We didn't need canines to track them after a crime. :supergrin:

blueiron 11-03-2012 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlynusn (Post 19586298)
I don't think boots should look like mirrors, but they should at least be black and not greenish because it's been so long since they have had a coat of polish.

Agreed. Polish them with bleach and the toes and heels come out white.

RetailNinja 11-03-2012 13:51

I polish once every month or so. Horse hair brush and a damp rag do wonders.

EDIT: College boi here who was taught at the academy to polish boots by my former USMC roomate. His stuff looked like black chrome.

Kingarthurhk 11-03-2012 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueiron (Post 19586892)
Perhaps, but the nortenos do when out on the weekend here. We didn't need canines to track them after a crime. :supergrin:

The people we caught smelled like feet and ass, and would often use their hands to clean the last mentioned area of anatomy.

Even after being cleaned, the processing area laways smelled like a moldy goat.

blueiron 11-03-2012 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19587273)
The people we caught smelled like feet and ass, and would often use their hands to clean the last mentioned area of anatomy.

That's the before. After, they all run out and buy a 1987 Ford truck with gobs of chrome, garish cowboy boots, and a black cowboy hat. Then they shower in the nastiest cologne, this side of Axe body spray.

blueiron 11-03-2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19587273)

On second thought, are you certain you weren't processing Iraqis?

Sharky7 11-03-2012 15:39

:needspics: