Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Seals vs Delta Force comparison. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450724)

Ruggles 11-01-2012 19:27

Seals vs Delta Force comparison.

Needing a break from the election posts :rofl:

http://dsc.discovery.com/adventure/n...l#mkcpgn=otbn1

Brief but an interesting (if pointless overall) little article. Ever since the 1980s the Seals have had the media attention while Delta has gone unnoticed in comparison. To the "common" man the Seals are mystic warriors while Delta is a great unknown.

Being a Marine I have to vote Navy and thus Seals but objectively the Army boys are step for step as good I would guess.

What is everybody's opinion?

stolenphot0 11-01-2012 20:02

VS

stolenphot0 11-01-2012 20:02

Rabbi 11-01-2012 20:04

SEALs have to star in their own movies.

Chuck Norris only gets to pretend he is Delta.

Case closed.

Chuck TX 11-01-2012 20:09

Chuck Norris portrayed Delta Force.

/thread

Ruggles 11-01-2012 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolenphot0 (Post 19581233)

Saw it in the theater while I was in the service baby! LOL back when Sheen was pretty good in movies with Young Guns and this :rofl:

Ruggles 11-01-2012 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolenphot0 (Post 19581234)

Own in on DVD, came with Delta Force, Missing In Action and Invasion USA for $5 :supergrin:

Ruggles 11-01-2012 20:27

Delta had their own TV Show (The Unit) but the SEALs get all the Hollywood love it seems. Of course SEALs don't have motorcycles with rocket launchers on them like Delta does so......

I thought the SEALs did a pretty decent job acting, I mean considering their other skill sets to be able to act at all is pretty impressive IMO.

stolenphot0 11-01-2012 20:31

yeah I saw both in theaters. I was 8 for Delta Force. My mom was out of town and dad was in charge of watching us, so he said I could go with my friend and his dad.

Spiffums 11-01-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck TX (Post 19581275)
Chuck Norris portrayed Delta Force.

/thread

Was that when LAV had a beard?

Ruggles 11-01-2012 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffums (Post 19581391)
Was that when LAV had a beard?

Not sure, it was Lee Marvins last movie before his death. As you know Lee Marvin was a real life ass kicking Marine in WWII :) He even took some lead in his caboose in action :cool:

Ruggles 11-01-2012 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolenphot0 (Post 19581376)
yeah I saw both in theaters. I was 8 for Delta Force. My mom was out of town and dad was in charge of watching us, so he said I could go with my friend and his dad.

Dads get it, moms not so much. That kinda of movie is what 8 year boys need to see. I bet you sprouted your 1st chest hair that day :supergrin:

UtahIrishman 11-01-2012 20:45

Tough choice...I'd say in real life they are both exactly the same type of men with very similar training.

8-Ball 11-01-2012 21:07

I don't care for attention whores and show-offs so I vote for 1st SFOD-D.

Ruggles 11-01-2012 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8-Ball (Post 19581505)
I don't care for attention whores and show-offs so I vote for 1st SFOD-D.

Johnny Storm! Flame on! :rofl:

8-Ball 11-01-2012 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggles (Post 19581509)
Johnny Storm! Flame on! :rofl:

:rofl:

;)

ithaca_deerslayer 11-01-2012 21:19

What about the Green Berets? I'm a John Wayne fan, so they must be the best.

Ruggles 11-01-2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer (Post 19581536)
What about the Green Berets? I'm a John Wayne fan, so they must be the best.

The Duke was Marine in Sands Of Iwo Jima before he was a Green Beret :rofl:

I think the Green Berets are a different type of solider than either Delta or the SEALs. The Berets are a vital unit in todays world IMO.

tsmo1066 11-01-2012 21:27

The SEALS and Delta Operators are both representative of the cream of the crop when it comes to Special Ops assets and as far as lethality, capabilities, overall skill, etc. go, they are more-or-less on par with one another. The SEALS tend to operate more in the open, however, whereas Delta operates more in the shadows, so to speak.

You will seldom ever see a press conference held outlining a Delta Operation as they don't like to publicize their tactics or missions. In fact, they often give credit for operations they conduct to other units or assets in order to keep a lower profile.

Generally speaking, if you hear about a Delta operation at all, it's normally because something went horribly wrong (Blackhawk Down). When a Delta mission goes right, they typically just fade away and move on to the next assignment.

Jim B in CO 11-01-2012 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggles (Post 19581405)
That kinda of movie is what 8 year boys need to see. I bet you sprouted your 1st chest hair that day :supergrin:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

GRIMLET 11-01-2012 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsmo1066 (Post 19581559)
The SEALS and Delta Operators are both representative of the cream of the crop when it comes to Special Ops assets and as far as lethality, capabilities, overall skill, etc. go, they are more-or-less on par with one another. The SEALS tend to operate more in the open, however, whereas Delta operates more in the shadows, so to speak.

You will seldom ever see a press conference held outlining a Delta Operation as they don't like to publicize their tactics or missions. In fact, they often give credit for operations they conduct to other units or assets in order to keep a lower profile.

Generally speaking, if you hear about a Delta operation at all, it's normally because something went horribly wrong (Blackhawk Down). When a Delta mission goes right, they typically just fade away and move on to the next assignment.

Wasn't the story of Blackhawk Down a Ranger operation with Delta soldiers Shuttgart and Gordon doing a type of overwatch?
There was no realistic way they could have survived when they hit the ground. They didn't do it for glory or promotions.
There heroic requests were not a plan or an operation.

ithaca_deerslayer 11-01-2012 21:42

I don't know about Delta being secretive. My experience with them is they tend to brag a lot, but just aren't very specific about where they've done stuff. I guess you could say that is kinda secretive.

They also do a different kind of training that must help them stay low profile. When you look at them, they seem kinda over weight, and you wouldn't intially think they are serious fighters. But they must obviously still be in top shape and ready, as the Delta guys I know are on call from some top commander. They have to be ready to go at a moment's notice, even when relaxing at the local bar, where I happened upon them and realized they were Delta after talking to them.

cgwahl 11-01-2012 21:45

Seeing as how Delta Force doesn't exist, this whole comparison seems silly. :whistling:

ChuteTheMall 11-01-2012 21:45

CJStudent 11-01-2012 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIMLET (Post 19581584)

Wasn't the story of Blackhawk Down a Ranger operation with Delta soldiers Shuttgart and Gordon doing a type of overwatch?
There was no realistic way they could have survived when they hit the ground. They didn't do it for glory or promotions.
There heroic requests were not a plan or an operation.

Actually the opposite. The Rangers were doing perimeter security for Delta on a door-kicking snatch and grab. Delta had some snipers in helicopters overhead for overwatch, though.