Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduction Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   New G19 owner from San Jose Ca. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450423)

408essj 10-31-2012 09:39

New G19 owner from San Jose Ca.

3 Attachment(s)
Hello fellow gun enthusiasts,

I'm new to the hobby of firearms and just recently purchased a new G19 gen 3.
I absolutely love it, I've added a streamlight tlr-3 and have put 250 rounds through it this far.

Question though, loading magazine round after round got old quick for just a ten round magazine so I purchased a rebuild kit for a 33 round magazine.

I've tried to do some research but ended up in circles with a clear cut law..
Can I posses a 33 round magazine at the range?

Anyhow this board is quite great thanks in advance!

slugger6 10-31-2012 11:46

Welcome from Ohio.

jph02 10-31-2012 17:12

:welcome:

Lowjiber 10-31-2012 17:59

Welcome to GT from southern Nevada.

I'm sorry about the California thing. I used to "live" in Los Gatos.

jdl2 10-31-2012 18:34

Welcome!

Raven1967 10-31-2012 18:36

Welcome to GT!

bac1023 10-31-2012 21:24

:welcome: and congrats

Glock40man 10-31-2012 22:17

:welcome: to GT!

UtahIrishman 10-31-2012 22:20

Welcome I used to live in Campbell.

I haven't checked in a while but the last time I visited California I left my 15 round magazines at home. The law then wasn't very clear and it sounds like it hasn't changed. Or if it has not for the better.

Tkz 11-01-2012 01:39

Hi 408essj, I'm new also. The 19 is sweet, wouldn't give up my 19 for anything! Good choice.

average nobody 11-01-2012 06:26

welcome and yes you can own it,
I have never had issues at reeds, los altos rod and gun club,or targetmasters, used to live in essj also. jackson and san antonio Your statement tells me you are manufacturing,which is illegal to make a new complete high capacity magazine out of a parts kits .But possession of the magazine is not illegal in cali.

california penal code section. 32310. Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section
32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any
person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for
sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

mymini40 11-01-2012 07:27

Welcome to GT!

408essj 11-01-2012 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by average nobody (Post 19578263)
welcome and yes you can own it,
I have never had issues at reeds, los altos rod and gun club,or targetmasters, used to live in essj also. jackson and san antonio Your statement tells me you are manufacturing,which is illegal to make a new complete high capacity magazine out of a parts kits .But possession of the magazine is not illegal in cali.

california penal code section. 32310. Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section
32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any
person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for
sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Wow! I had no idea?! I've read and read and it never was as
Clear cut as that statement....

Manufacturing? So once it's put together then at that point it's legal?

Crap.. 39 bux thrown away....
If I go to a range say I had one that was already built with one it would be
Fine?
Über noob to shooting and was oblivious..

I always have a hard time deciphering anything when I read different threads on the matter and I found a thread on Calguns? That I thought read correct that I could use??
I thought when I bought the kit it was a kit that needed assembly??

Still lost... Ahhhh

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

408essj 11-01-2012 09:39

Thanks for the welcome everyone

408essj 11-01-2012 09:44

Is it legal to buy a already complete 33 round mag from someone in the state of California that is already ready to go as in full add and ammo and fire

average nobody 11-02-2012 01:32

" Manufacturing? So once it's put together then at that point it's legal?" YES its legal to own a magazine already put together, the problem is the act of you putting it together thats the part that makes it illegal, and its illegal to sell or buy hi cap mags already assembled in cali, unless your law enforcement thats why in cali you can buy rebuild kits to fix old preban mags only , not to make new mags out of kits.
if you are ever confronted by police for the hi cap mag, remember possession is not against the law so you can own them .If the cops dont believe you and arrest you which is highly unlikely, plead the 5th its not your job to explain legal possession it is up to them to prove you illegally imported, bought,sold or manufactured a hi cap mag, I know a guy who was arrested for possession of magazines able to hold more then 10 rnds, he got released from the station few hrs later, and he won a out of court settlement for wrongful arrest.

If I go to a range say I had one that was already built with one it would be
Fine? yes because like I said possession is not against the law.

when I go to the range I usually bring around a dozen 17 rnd mags and 2 or 3 33rnd mags with me. Again Yes you can own use 33rnd mags.

average nobody 11-02-2012 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408essj (Post 19578876)
Is it legal to buy a already complete 33 round mag from someone in the state of California that is already ready to go as in full add and ammo and fire

simple answer its illegal for someone to sell you a functioning 33rnd mag in ca. Example If I was to sell you a magazine dissassembled it would be perfectly legal for me to do, and you would be the one breakin the law if you put it together. If I sold you a complete mag I would be breaking the law.

Hope I helped and not confused you more.

408essj 11-02-2012 08:16

Within this thread alone I've finally understood what the heck I been searching for all along!
Much appreciated.

Sketchy Ca.

ca survivor 11-02-2012 11:43

:welcome:

average nobody 11-03-2012 04:06

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=124709
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e_restrictions
large capacity magazine info.Please read it all for yourself dont just take my word a stranger on a forum, im no lawyer.
had to go back and search for this . I was starting to go crazy trying to find all this again. A must read.Calguns has alot of info but it is hard to find sometimes.I wish I could give you more firearm penal codes but california changed them all around in january 2012.