Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Securing gun safe in an apartment? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449209)

ChrisMJX 10-23-2012 18:50

Securing gun safe in an apartment?

I recently purchased a safe for my gun and other valuables. I'm glad to have it, however I live in an apartment and now I have the problem of how to secure the safe itself. Obviously if someone broke in, a safe is basically advertising "take me".

I only have wire-rack shelves in my closets, and the mounting kit that came with the safe is just a couple of screws and anchors. They would attach through the bottom it seems. I live on the third floor and I'm pretty sure the floors under the carpet are gonna be wood, although I don't know because I haven't attempted to pull up the carpet. It didn't come with a tether.

Any ideas?

Sgt127 10-23-2012 19:27

I always thought it would be a good idea to get a huge slab of 1/4" steel. Like, 4'X6' and bolt the safe to it. It would distribute the weight and, it would be very, very difficult to move. Like, wouldn't come back out of the closet bolted together, couldn't use a dolly etc. It would be alot heavier and, damn near unmanageable.

Or, if the weight it too much, two 1'X6' slabs of steel.

Opie 1 Kenopie 10-23-2012 20:23

You can anchor your safe directly to the floor if it has screw holes on the bottom. Use really long, heavy weight screws though. If your safe has no holes, you can use a carbide drill bit and make your own. I also like the metal slab idea above, but long PLANKS of steel would be way easier to bring into the house. Once mounted to the safe, you couldn't get the safe out your front door. Thieves won't stay in your place long enough to work on opening the safe.

Another idea would be to have steel angle iron bars drilled with holes, then welded onto your safe at a local machine shop. Some guy would do it for $20 guaranteed. Bring it home, bolt those brackets to the floor and you're done.

SJ 40 10-23-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt127 (Post 19549479)
I always thought it would be a good idea to get a huge slab of 1/4" steel. Like, 4'X6' and bolt the safe to it. It would distribute the weight and, it would be very, very difficult to move. Like, wouldn't come back out of the closet bolted together, couldn't use a dolly etc. It would be alot heavier and, damn near unmanageable.

Or, if the weight it too much, two 1'X6' slabs of steel.

Excellent idea ! SJ 40

robhic 10-24-2012 09:08

I like the long bar of steel attached to the front, only, as a minimal idea. Easier to work with and, as Opie says above, it would make getting the safe out of the apartment/building a major headache that I'd expect thieves wouldn't want to deal with.

mrstrau 10-24-2012 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMJX (Post 19549323)
I recently purchased a safe for my gun and other valuables. I'm glad to have it, however I live in an apartment and now I have the problem of how to secure the safe itself. Obviously if someone broke in, a safe is basically advertising "take me".

I only have wire-rack shelves in my closets, and the mounting kit that came with the safe is just a couple of screws and anchors. They would attach through the bottom it seems. I live on the third floor and I'm pretty sure the floors under the carpet are gonna be wood, although I don't know because I haven't attempted to pull up the carpet. It didn't come with a tether.

Any ideas?

I'm in the same situation you are....I live in an apartment with 5 other guys, whom I all trust, but there are always new people in and out because people know people, you know?

anyway I was going to buy a safe from Dick's for like 2-300 bucks but I figured they would be easy to steal. So I've decided to start saving and go for a good safe, like a Liberty. One model, I think its like the G22 or G23, is something like 540 pounds, which I don't think would be exactly easy for someone to steal. For now, I'm going to be chaining my guns through the gun locks to the radiator in my closet. I don't think anyone will get to them, and they will be somewhat secured until I get the safe.

If you can't drill into the floor, and I'm assuming you can't because you live in an apartment, is there anyway to chain the safe down? Would it be that easy for someone to walk out with it if it wasn't secured down?

jthrelf 10-24-2012 12:07

im in the same situation. Third floor apartment. I just drilled through the carpet and into the floor board with a very long bolt. I doubt they will notice when I move out

federali 10-24-2012 14:47

An easier method

The idea of using a steel slab is good but impractical because steel is expensive, it is heavy and it must be transported into your apartment, then drilled and tapped for substantial bolts. This requires equipment the average homeowner or apartment dweller doesn't have.

Being handy, I've done many installations and repairs for apartment dwellers. I'm amazed at the number of different construction techniques in use. Many larger buildings do not use wooden joists so anchoring to the floor is a hit or miss proposition.

Your new safe should have mounting holes in its bottom. Make a form of plywood and 1X6's. Then, go to Home depot or Lowes and buy a few bags of Sacrete, sand mix. You may buy these in 50 pound bags so there's no problem getting them into your apartment. Pick up a plastic mortar pan for about $10.00 or less. Mix the Sacrete and fill the form to the top. Use a piece of wood as a screed to get the top nice and flat. Next, insert the necessary threaded bolts in the wet cement, making sure they will correctly align with the holes in your safe. You may need to use cardboard as a temporary form to hold the bolts vertical while the cement sets. You may add a few pieces of rebar to the form.

After setting, bolt your safe onto the concrete platform. Apartment thieves will not get your safe unless they thought to bring along a sledge hammer and the people below you are deaf.

For added insurance and if you have room, add a few hundred pounds of lead ingots to the safe's interior.

Thomasc18 10-24-2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt127 (Post 19549479)

I need to try this! Great idea.

FAS1 10-24-2012 17:21

I would at least anchor it to the wall studs. 2 high and 2 lower. Drywall is easy and cheap to patch when you move.

Depredador 10-24-2012 17:41

I'm in the same situation. Adding weight to a safe is always a good idea.

Lugi 10-24-2012 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMJX (Post 19549323)

Any ideas?

I lived in a apartment and had a safe....it was the first floor apt, All I did was drills holes and use the right anchors. And when I moved all I did was unscrew the anchors...and move the carpet back and forth and the holes disappear.