Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   1911 Forums (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Finished product (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447822)

Disregarded9-side 10-14-2012 23:32

Finished product

Hey all,

I've made a few threads about this pistol in the past, but it's finally ready to roll. My year-long quest to own a reliable 1911 has finally ended successfully, but not without much tribulation.

This pistol had some cycling issues out of the box that were remedied, after a trip back to Illinois, then lot of experimentation, extractor adjustment, new parts, fitting and filing and now it runs like a champ. Even with the Wilson/Rogers 47 mags (I posted about a month ago concerning reliability with these).

I fitted and installed the Ed Brown Maxi-Well mainsping housing; it's a very nice piece and looks and functions perfectly with this SA Loaded. The VZs are Operators II in Black Desert Sand with the non-beveled mag-well fit--I had seen them in pictures, but they REALLY compliment the coloring of this stainless pistol, especially given that it has polished flats and a brushed undercarriage and top of the slide. The grip they provide is sure, but not so aggressive that it's ripping your skin off. Everyone gets the Ops 2s, and initially I wanted to be a bit different but I'm very glad I went with these.
Here she is right after I finished with all the new parts filed, fitted and installed:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/222/img0919j.jpg

I'd been out of town and working so much that for about 6 weeks I hadn't had ANY time to hit the range :faint: ; those of you that know me know I typically shoot MUCH more often than this. Today I was able to put 200~ flawless rounds through her, using an assortment of magazines and factory fresh 230gr beans.
Here's a pic of the post range dirty muzzle, I always love that look, and a recovered 230gr. FMJ ball bullet (one of two, actually)--I was surprised to see that it had expanded to over an inch. Note how the pedals split along the edges of the grooves from the rifling, I thought this was interesting:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/233/img1007g.jpg

I want to go ahead and get a few new parts to (play with) replace the MIM ones that came with this pistol, let me know if you have recommendations you think would compliment this project for a stainless:
-Hammer
-Hammer strut
-Firing pin stop
-Beavertail grip safety (leaning strongly towards Ed Brown)
-Slide stop
-Thumb safety

Want to get them all in solid steel/machined from bar-stoc.
Thanks all, hope you've been well during my absence.
:wavey:

steve1911 10-15-2012 00:18

Looks great, i like Ed Brown parts and Wilsons parts, also egw are good to go to name a few.

Congrats! on your 1911.

1911club#410

faawrenchbndr 10-15-2012 02:24

Looks great,......my Springer Loaded bobtail project is ready
for refinishing.

I prefer Brown parts, EGW makes awesome barrel bushings!

ca survivor 10-15-2012 06:42

Looks great.

bac1023 10-15-2012 19:31

Very nice indeed

Congrats! :cool:

gajones06 10-16-2012 05:26

I'm a huge fan of ed brown parts...they are the only ones I use.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TTM65 10-16-2012 07:52

I by no means wish to start a fight but am asking because I do not understand why people buy a gun knowing they are going to have to dump a fair amount into it just to get it to run reliably. This gun is an example of what I mean.
SA Loaded approx 900.00 then
after a trip back to Illinois, then lot of experimentation, extractor adjustment, new parts, fitting and filing and now it runs like a champ.
Then a few hundred in the forthcoming hammer and strut, FPS, grip safety, slide stop, and thumb safety.
Why not just purchase a quality built gun to start with? Ok, not everybody will buy a wilson etc but why not a semi custom that starts with quality parts and functions out of the box? I personally think that the shooting society has accepted lesser quality over the years and now lesser quality is the industry standard.

Again, just a question and my .02.

okie 10-16-2012 08:01

Nice job my friend:supergrin:

Disregarded9-side 10-16-2012 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTM65 (Post 19523217)
I by no means wish to start a fight but am asking because I do not understand why people buy a gun knowing they are going to have to dump a fair amount into it just to get it to run reliably. This gun is an example of what I mean.
after a trip back to Illinois, then lot of experimentation, extractor adjustment, new parts, fitting and filing and now it runs like a champ.
Then a few hundred in the forthcoming hammer and strut, FPS, grip safety, slide stop, and thumb safety.
Why not just purchase a quality built gun to start with?

As the OP and the purchaser, I couldn't agree more with your point about buying a reliable pistol to begin with.

The problem and reality is that no 1911, certainly no sub-$1,000 '11, can be TRUSTED out of the box (I know this will solicit posts saying that "my RIA/Kimber/Taurus has 10,000 rounds through it and it's never malfunctioned", and I'm sure you're telling the truth; but even good manufactures produce bad pistols and getting the 1911 design reliable is more of an art than a science. Every one of them I've bought will not cycle consistently before being worked over.

I've achieved my goal of having a reliable 1911 for far less money than had a bought a semi-custom or full-house custom pistol. Yes, I could have spent $1,500 and probably gotten a much more reliable 'gun, but there would still have been a good number of MIM parts that I would want replaced, and others I wanted substituted for ones I simply prefer. My budget was $1K, and with an $801 purchase price and the refinements required to get it to function, I'm still under that (excluding the ammo; however, now that it's in working order, and because I reload, ammo costs are now less of a concern).

This ain't my first rodeo--I've been through a few '11s, none worked out of the box. I knew what I was getting into. I also knew I wanted a pistol that wasn't so valuable that I couldn't work on it, gaining some gunsmithing experience with the platform, and also beat on it at the range and for IPSC use; I'm a much higher volume shooter than most 1911 owners. It will be nice to always have one I can tinker with, even after I scoop the Ed Brown I've always wanted.
I started with a Kimber, figured I'd try the SA.

I also agree with your point about the market holding the manufactures to lower standards with regards to function--one should remember that 1/3rd of guns purchased in the US are never fired by the original owner, 1911s and other "pretty" 'guns probably rank high on the safe-queen chart.

Disregarded9-side 10-16-2012 10:21

And thanks for all the positive remarks.
She really did turn out to be a looker.

The FCS are not my favorite looking thing in the world, but there's no denying their extreme functionality on such a full-sized platform.

Travclem 10-16-2012 10:37

Looks a lot like my TRP(bottom). My Springfield loaded "build" is on top.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...m/0416c8eb.jpg

Travclem 10-16-2012 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTM65 (Post 19523217)
Why not just purchase a quality built gun to start with? Ok, not everybody will buy a wilson etc but why not a semi custom that starts with quality parts and functions out of the box? I personally think that the shooting society has accepted lesser quality over the years and now lesser quality is the industry standard.

Again, just a question and my .02.

I personally picked up my Loaded for about $400 in trade. It made a great base gun.

ilgunguygt 10-16-2012 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side (Post 19523635)
As the OP and the purchaser, I couldn't agree more with your point about buying a reliable pistol to begin with.

The problem and reality is that no 1911, certainly no sub-$1,000 '11, can be TRUSTED out of the box (I know this will solicit posts saying that "my RIA/Kimber/Taurus has 10,000 rounds through it and it's never malfunctioned", and I'm sure you're telling the truth; but even good manufactures produce bad pistols and getting the 1911 design reliable is more of an art than a science. Every one of them I've bought will not cycle consistently before being worked over.

I've achieved my goal of having a reliable 1911 for far less money than had a bought a semi-custom or full-house custom pistol. Yes, I could have spent $1,500 and probably gotten a much more reliable 'gun, but there would still have been a good number of MIM parts that I would want replaced, and others I wanted substituted for ones I simply prefer. My budget was $1K, and with an $801 purchase price and the refinements required to get it to function, I'm still under that (excluding the ammo; however, now that it's in working order, and because I reload, ammo costs are now less of a concern).

This ain't my first rodeo--I've been through a few '11s, none worked out of the box. I knew what I was getting into. I also knew I wanted a pistol that wasn't so valuable that I couldn't work on it, gaining some gunsmithing experience with the platform, and also beat on it at the range and for IPSC use; I'm a much higher volume shooter than most 1911 owners. It will be nice to always have one I can tinker with, even after I scoop the Ed Brown I've always wanted.
I started with a Kimber, figured I'd try the SA.

I also agree with your point about the market holding the manufactures to lower standards with regards to function--one should remember that 1/3rd of guns purchased in the US are never fired by the original owner, 1911s and other "pretty" 'guns probably rank high on the safe-queen chart.

:wow: Thats absolutely ridiculous!!

MD357 10-16-2012 12:00

Quote:

First let's just relay that someone has to be extremely ignorant of the history of the 1911 to believe that you have to spend $1000 to have a reliable one OR that the design isn't inherently reliable. To the point of not understanding the platform altogether.

Second, whenever someone says they've had an amount of problems with a particular platform, it always makes me wonder if the problem isn't the consistent variable...... the owner or shooter. Rather, that's what the odds favor.

shotgunred 10-16-2012 21:33

Any gun that can't be taken out of the box new and shot the ***** out of need to be returned. If you want to toy with your gun then toy with it. But I should run new out of the box!

Disregarded9-side 10-17-2012 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD357 (Post 19523918)
First let's just relay that someone has to be extremely ignorant of the history of the 1911 to believe that you have to spend $1000 to have a reliable one OR that the design isn't inherently reliable. To the point of not understanding the platform altogether.

Second, whenever someone says they've had an amount of problems with a particular platform, it always makes me wonder if the problem isn't the consistent variable...... the owner or shooter. Rather, that's what the odds favor.

Nope. QC is horrible on these guns. You're entitled to disagree, but my experience couldn't have painted this picture more clearly. Colts obviously didn't used to cost over a G, and they also used to be much better pistols.

I love the platform, and obviously having turned multiple failing pistols into a working ones I have a more than decent knowledge of 1911s. No matter if you, I, or anyone else had purchased the aluminum framed Kimber I did, the magazines with steel followers would be eating chucks out of the frame. When I called their CS about it, they had no problem admitting right off the bat that this was a known issue. Shipping the pistol with these mags is terrible business practice, poor quality control. Consumers obviously don't care, as they continue to sell these 'guns faster than they can make them; new Kimbers are always on back order.

Implying that I'm incompetent doesn't prove that the 1911 is infallible in all forms, it simply proves that you're being unkind and not remotely thoughtful--that's not in any way a personal attack, just fact. If you read, and comprehended, half of what I said in this thread alone you'd realize your remarks to be wholly without reasonable foundation. And your comments are forgiven, so let's get back to celebrating the piece we all love. All of this has nothing to do with my OP.

Cheers.

Disregarded9-side 10-17-2012 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travclem (Post 19523681)
Looks a lot like my TRP(bottom). My Springfield loaded "build" is on top.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...m/0416c8eb.jpg

These are beautiful pistols, I came very close to going with the those exact Alien grips on my Loaded as well.

ilgunguygt 10-17-2012 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side (Post 19529854)
Nope. QC is horrible on these guns. You're entitled to disagree, but my experience couldn't have painted this picture more clearly. Colts obviously didn't used to cost over a G, and they also used to be much better pistols.

I love the platform, and obviously having turned multiple failing pistols into a working ones I have a more than decent knowledge of 1911s. No matter if you, I, or anyone else had purchased the aluminum framed Kimber I did, the magazines with steel followers would be eating chucks out of the frame. When I called their CS about it, they had no problem admitting right off the bat that this was a known issue. Shipping the pistol with these mags is terrible business practice, poor quality control. Consumers obviously don't care, as they continue to sell these 'guns faster than they can make them; new Kimbers are always on back order.

Implying that I'm incompetent doesn't prove that the 1911 is infallible in all forms, it simply proves that you're being unkind and not remotely thoughtful--that's not in any way a personal attack, just fact. If you read, and comprehended, half of what I said in this thread alone you'd realize your remarks to be wholly without reasonable foundation. And your comments are forgiven, so let's get back to celebrating the piece we all love. All of this has nothing to do with my OP.

Cheers.

No one said that the 1911 platform was infallable. You said "certainly no sub 1K dollar 1911 was able to be trusted." You said that as fact. Its far from fact. Its so far, in fact, that no matter how much you claim to know about the platform, that single statement proves otherwise. :rofl:

TTM65 10-17-2012 23:06

As I said, I did not mean to start a fight or disagrements with my question. I have built more than 300 1911's in my shop and as far as I am concerned I learned from the best there was. I know the cost to build and fit a proper 1911 has increased over substantially over my 20 years in the business but it is not that expensive when compared to what is available off the shelf. I do not stock retail items in my shop so my first thought was I was out of touch with the retail world but when I observed so many posters of this forum and others explain their plan of which 1911 to buy then put X amount of dollars into it to fix the known issues I was quite suprised. My thought was why not build a reliable one from the start and save a few bucks AND get a reliable pistol. Again, maybe I am just out of touch with the retail world and the level of quality people are willing to accept.

Disregarded9-side 10-17-2012 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgunguygt (Post 19529957)
You said "certainly no sub 1K dollar 1911 was able to be trusted."

No, that's not what I said. What I said was:

Quote:

The problem and reality is that no 1911, certainly no sub-$1,000 '11, can be TRUSTED out of the box
I do consider that a fact; especially when a life is on the line. Without test firing 100-500 rounds, no cheap 1911 can be trusted to protect your life. Some more modern handgun designs many people feel are much more trustworthy. Ask Bill Wilson, or simply read one of his books. Ask Travis Haley. Ask Masad Ayoob. The 1911 can be an extremely reliable gun when it works correctly, but they're picky animals. It's not as if this is the first time you're hearing this. The gun can't even be considered reliable without a cleaning after every 500 rounds (again, Bill Wilson's words, not mine).

None of this keeps mine from working, nor does it keep it from being my favorite firearm design. I just happen to shoot quite a bit and be a realist.

You're entitled to your opinion, and that's fine. But that's not why I started this thread. If you wish to express your discontent with my opinion more, please feel free to PM me.

Which thumb safety profile do y'all prefer? Must be extended and ambi for my use. I have a very high tang grip and my thumb rides the safety.