Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Ruger rifles and scope rings ? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447783)

AK_Stick 10-14-2012 17:56

Ruger rifles and scope rings ?

Does anyone know, are the Ruger scope rings return to zero rings, or does the zero change between removal and re-attachment?

Got a 30-06 with express sights, and thinking about taking it on my deer hunt this fall, but I need return to zero rings so I can use a scope for the longer shots/as it gets dark.

Kentucky Shooter 10-14-2012 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 19518607)
Does anyone know, are the Ruger scope rings return to zero rings, or does the zero change between removal and re-attachment?

Got a 30-06 with express sights, and thinking about taking it on my deer hunt this fall, but I need return to zero rings so I can use a scope for the longer shots/as it gets dark.

I have to assume the standard ruger rings must be re-zeroed each time they are removed. I have had a few ruger rifles and never tested this, but i feel confident that is correct.

A question you might investigate would be to see if Leupold, Burris, or others make a Quick release ring for a ruger rifle that does return to zero.

AK_Stick 10-14-2012 18:23

Warne does, hence why I'm asking, if the Ruger rings are not RTZ's I'm going to order a set. I was just curious, as its drill weekend, and I can't squeek away to shoot until atleast the end of the month.

However, looking at the Ruger rings, there is only one moving part, and the rest of it is a fixed engagement on the receiver, so I would think, given the same torque on install, it would return to zero.

3rdgen40 10-14-2012 18:25

Why not use a low power variable scope ? A 1.5-4.5 or something like that.

AK_Stick 10-14-2012 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 (Post 19518711)
Why not use a low power variable scope ? A 1.5-4.5 or something like that.

Precisely what I will be doing, using a German #4 illuminated 1.5-5x20mm

However, the issue I ran into last year was that the weather was so nasty, and it rained/blew so hard and so much, that I couldn't keep the caps of my scope open, or I'd have freezing rain/sleet on the lens. I ended up jumping several deer at 10 or so feet, but I couldn't get my gun to my shoulder, and my scope caps open fast enough. This year, if the weather is that bad, I'm simply going to remove the scope, and shoot with the express sights.

Cole125 10-14-2012 19:54

No Ruger factory rings DO NOT return to zero. I've got a Ruger M77 .308 and I have to re zero it every time I take the scope off.

I suggest getting Warne QD rings.

3rdgen40 10-15-2012 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 19518728)
Precisely what I will be doing, using a German #4 illuminated 1.5-5x20mm

However, the issue I ran into last year was that the weather was so nasty, and it rained/blew so hard and so much, that I couldn't keep the caps of my scope open, or I'd have freezing rain/sleet on the lens. I ended up jumping several deer at 10 or so feet, but I couldn't get my gun to my shoulder, and my scope caps open fast enough. This year, if the weather is that bad, I'm simply going to remove the scope, and shoot with the express sights.

Oh ,okay.That makes sense.