Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Why NRA ? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447599)

RustyL 10-13-2012 11:54

Why NRA ?
 
Is the money given to the NRA worth it? I know they fight mightily for our 2nd amendment rights. Is their influence that great with our politicians? I'm thinking of joining.
I own many guns, mainly for hunting. I quit hunting and started fishing...and the fishing industry has their whacked out folks too, wanting to ban this or that.
The reason I joined this GT is I want to learn about handguns. I bought a G 26 and have applied for my CC permit. The more I read about handguns, the more I feel the gun industry is under attack. Anyway, enough of my ranting, Why did you join the NRA?

G36's Rule 10-13-2012 12:07

Anyone who owns and enjoys their firearms and understands our rights should be a member of the NRA. They do have influence and do use it.

Another organization you should consider is the Second Amendment Foundation. They are the ones who brought the Heller case up and eventually dragged the NRA on board with them.

RenoF250 10-13-2012 12:08

I think they must spend 90% of the money sending out junk mail.

Providence 10-13-2012 12:15

I am a member and will continue to be one... but... this week the NRA sent me a Personal Defense Network DVD in the mail, unsolicited. They want me to pay for it or send it back. Not cool in my book. Don't send me stuff unsolicited.


Please vote! It's that important!

FCastle88 10-13-2012 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Providence (Post 19514315)
I am a member and will continue to be one... but... this week the NRA sent me a Personal Defense Network DVD in the mail, unsolicited. They want me to pay for it or send it back. Not cool in my book. Don't send me stuff unsolicited.


Please vote! It's that important!

Just keep the DVD, legally you're not required to pay for or return unsolicited items that are sent to you.

okie 10-13-2012 12:32

I am proud to be an NRA member, every member makes up the NRA and we are very powerful:patriot:

mac66 10-13-2012 12:35

The NRA is the big dog on the block when it comes to gun rights. Whatever else they may do good, bad or indifferent, they are the reason why we still have our guns. Numbers speak loudly, and the NRA has the numbers. They get the attention of law makers (and everyone else).

Don't think that just because no new gun control laws have been passed under Obama that the left has given up. Politicians know that "gun control laws" are the poison apple (thanks to the NRA). New gun control laws won't look like gun control laws and they won't be called gun control. They will look like health care and environmental regulations.

So yeah, the NRA is the big stick. Every gun owner should belong.

rick458 10-13-2012 12:40

NRA does keep our guns safe, see if Arkansas has a State gun rights group.
I'm in the NRA and the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Assoc)
that will keep you abreast on State and Local legislation.

tous 10-13-2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250 (Post 19514307)
I think they must spend 90% of the money sending out junk mail.

If that's your best conclusion, then let your membership expire. We have little room for whiners.

Before you do, ask the folk in England, Australia and Canada what is more annoying, losing their right to own and enjoy firearms or some mail that they had to toss in the trash every so often.

The NRA costs money, so they solicit from their members and the public just like any other business and the means they use mailings and emails and such. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Shinytop 10-13-2012 12:48

In some cases a member can save the NRA money by not renewing. If a member cannot or will not contribute more money based on the constant mailings then not renewing will be a help to the cause. Maybe they could let members opt out of mail solicitations.

voyager4520 10-13-2012 12:49

They helped fight a bunch of additions to the Assault Weapons Ban. They helped the people of Chicago and DC fight for their right to own handguns and in those decisions affirmed that the Second Amendment is indeed a right to self-defense, not just having guns for military service and sporting purposes. They helped fight the UN Arms Trade Treaty which is still a threat, and they brought more exposure to the Obama/Holder Fast and Furious gun smuggling. They're also working to get National Carry Reciprocity similar to driver's licenses. That's just off the top of my head.

ronin.45 10-13-2012 12:52

Join! They are the #1 voice for our rights. Don't let a little junk mail keep you from supporting those who support us.

RenoF250 10-13-2012 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tous (Post 19514386)
If that's your best conclusion, then let your membership expire. We have little room for whiners.

Before you do, ask the folk in England, Australia and Canada what is more annoying, losing their right to own and enjoy firearms or some mail that they had to toss in the trash every so often.

The NRA costs money, so they solicit from their members and the public just like any other business and the means they use mailings and emails and such. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Little sensitive eh? Must be on the NRA junk mail committee.
My membership cannot expire, I am a life member. If you don't think sending offers for life insurance etc. 2X a week if stupid then I guess we will just agree to disagree.

TK-421 10-13-2012 12:55

I'm planning on joining when I can afford to do so, they really seem to have a fair bit of weight to throw around in Congress, and they're doing a fairly decent job from what I can tell. They also fund some lawsuits, which is nice, because generally the every day man can't afford lengthy lawsuits to protect our rights when they're infringed upon.

So, the NRA, the Texas Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, any other groups I should join? Preferably ones who actually do something, like the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation. Can't comment on the Texas Rifle Association, since I haven't done any research on them, but I am in Texas, so I figure I might as well join, if it will help them out.

tous 10-13-2012 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinytop (Post 19514396)
In some cases a member can save the NRA money by not renewing. If a member cannot or will not contribute more money based on the constant mailings then not renewing will be a help to the cause. Maybe they could let members opt out of mail solicitations.

Uh, they already offer that feature.

If you are not so danged important that you will lower yourself to dial a telephne, Call this number: 1-800-672-3888

Tell the nice person that aswers that you do not wish to recieve unsolicited mail.

Thank them, find something else to whine about get on with your life.

tous 10-13-2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250 (Post 19514412)
Little sensitive eh? Must be on the NRA junk mail committee.
My membership cannot expire, I am a life member. If you don't think sending offers for life insurance etc. 2X a week if stupid then I guess we will just agree to disagree.

We disagree.
:wavey:

tous 10-13-2012 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19514413)
I'm planning on joining when I can afford to do so, they really seem to have a fair bit of weight to throw around in Congress, and they're doing a fairly decent job from what I can tell. They also fund some lawsuits, which is nice, because generally the every day man can't afford lengthy lawsuits to protect our rights when they're infringed upon.

So, the NRA, the Texas Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, any other groups I should join? Preferably ones who actually do something, like the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation. Can't comment on the Texas Rifle Association, since I haven't done any research on them, but I am in Texas, so I figure I might as well join, if it will help them out.

The Texas State Rifle Association is an excellent organization.
They are very effective thwarting the hippie socialists at the state level.
Join us and become a snorting bull.

TK-421 10-13-2012 13:27

Trust me, after living in Illinois for most of my life, through no fault of my own, I'm glad to be out of there. :supergrin: As soon as I could afford to get the hell out, I did. And I'm damn proud to support any organization who fights for my rights. All it takes is a job and some money.

HerrGlock 10-13-2012 13:42

Strange, I've never gotten one piece of junk mail from the NRA since I called them and asked to be taken off the junk mail list. Only the magazine and voting guides ever since.

I guess that's only if you can figure out what this means:
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Note, even if you don't particularly like the NRA join. They're the only ones that is spoken of in "the gun lobby" tones by all the media and the Brady Campaign so they're the only ones the anti groups are actually afraid of. In addition to the NRA, consider SAF, Second Amendment Sisters, JPFO, etc.

frizz 10-13-2012 14:07

NRA: Not perfect, but worth it.

Shinytop 10-13-2012 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by tous (Post 19514415)
Uh, they already offer that feature.

If you are not so danged important that you will lower yourself to dial a telephne, Call this number: 1-800-672-3888

Tell the nice person that aswers that you do not wish to recieve unsolicited mail.

Thank them, find something else to whine about get on with your life.

I think I am not the whiny one, Tous. Why are you are on a discussion board if you do not like discussion?

tous 10-13-2012 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinytop (Post 19514642)
I think I am not the whiny one, Tous. Why are you are on a discussion board if you do not like discussion?

Those to whom I responded were not discussing, they were whining.

Asking why one should join the National Rifle Association is somewhat like asking why one should step out of the way of a speeding car.

The answer is obvious.

Okay, I wil admit to some bias. I have been an NRA member for more than 50 years, have actively participated for a lot of those years, and have been a Patron member for the last 10 years and an NRA istructor for longer than most of y'all have been alive.

I don't spend that kind of money on dubious efforts.

I've likely seen more vicious attempts to disarm the American citizen thwarted by the NRA than most and I remember how it used to be before the hippie socialists decided guns are bad for children and other living things,

:wavey:

Mushinto 10-13-2012 14:53

The NRA is one of the largest lobbying organizations in the nation. Their marketing people are smarter than you or I am.

If sending out mail, DVDs etc. did not raise tons of money for gun rights, then they wouldn't be doing it.

For the OP, join or be a scab.

rednoved 10-13-2012 14:56

I'm a member of the NRA and I'm about the join the TSRA.

tous 10-13-2012 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednoved (Post 19514714)
I'm a member of the NRA and I'm about the join the TSRA.

About to? :shocked:

What's keeping you, amigo?
:supergrin:

We'll be honored to have you, sir.


:cowboy:

:wavey:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:54.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.