Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rimfire Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The real reason I love my Henry (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447449)

ditto1958 10-12-2012 10:58

The real reason I love my Henry

I have a 10/22, a Marlin 60 and a Henry H001. I really like them all, but I have found I shoot the Henry most of the time. My honest reason? The Henry lever action stays much cleaner, so I hardly have to do anything to it after shooting it. The bolt stays closed when it's fired, unlike a semi auto action that blows the bolt open to eject and feed, so it hardly gets dirty at all.

The Ruger and the Marlin are no fun to re-assemble- particularly the Marlin. The Henry? I wipe it out a little, run my bore snake through it, and wipe down the outside with a soft cloth.

Seriously, all three rifles are accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. Easy maintenance really is a factor, though, in deciding which one to shoot.

bac1023 10-13-2012 18:38

Very cool

janice6 10-13-2012 18:44

I was raised on a 1886 Winchester lever action.

I love to feel the slick smooth action of the gun as the lever is pushed forward to eject, and the lack of resistance and silken smooth sliding of the steel parts when loading the next round. The mechanics of an old lever action is like an art form, to experience.

Lever guns are beautiful machinery.

CanMan 10-13-2012 19:20

.22 LR really is my favorite caliber. I don't know if it's because reloading seems like a PITA anymore, I've taken up Bullseye shooting again or the fact that shootin' a .22 is just plain fun. I've got revolvers, pistols, bolts & semi-autos in .22LR. Never had a lever gun in any caliber. I've been keeping my eyes open for a Win 9422 or a Marlin 39A. Going to the Gun Show tomorrow and maybe, just maybe I'll find one.

3rdgen40 10-14-2012 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by janice6 (Post 19515323)
I was raised on a 1886 Winchester lever action.

I love to feel the slick smooth action of the gun as the lever is pushed forward to eject, and the lack of resistance and silken smooth sliding of the steel parts when loading the next round. The mechanics of an old lever action is like an art form, to experience.

Lever guns are beautiful machinery.

Well put.I have a great appreciation for a fine lever gun as well.

rvanpelt 10-25-2012 21:40

Another vote for the Henry. :cool: Mine has the octagon barrel and the big lever. I love it! Accurate, love the reliability and styling. I started hunting with the Win. mod. 92 and 94 levers which the Henry is modeled after. The quality is every bit as good.
Rod van Pelt:wavey:

Ruggles 10-25-2012 21:54

I have 3 Henry rifles. All .22 LR, 2 lever action and 1 bolt. All great guns :) I would recommend a Henry lever action to anyone wanting their first .22LR above any other make or model.