Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   glock 19 gen4 vs hk usp compact (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447178)

kave 10-10-2012 18:22

glock 19 gen4 vs hk usp compact

hey guys. anyone have an experience comparing these two guns. from general comparision they seem pretty equal. glock appears to have a better trigger, while hk appears to not have all the issues with feeding and ejecting that glock does. will be daily carry for me and all the bad glock reviews have gotten my attenuation. hk price is considerabily more, but peace of mind is more important to me than a few hundred bucks. thanks for any help.

bac1023 10-10-2012 18:24

I don't think they're equal at all.

I'll take the HK all day long.

FnKev 10-10-2012 18:32

I agree with bac. I own a couple G19s and a HK USP compact. I love my glocks, but my USPc is my EDC and goto gun. Ive had zero issues with it over the last year and have close to 2500 rounds through it. It'll eat anything. +P+ is a lot of fun to shoot too.

Fire_Medic 10-10-2012 18:32

Hk 100%

tbc 10-10-2012 18:39

HK USPc. It looks better too.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/11/a4yryhuv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 :D

rustynail 10-10-2012 18:40

I've had both, got rid of the HK didn't like the mag release but it was a really nice well made gun a class above glock for sure. I just prefer my Glocks, simple for me to work on and just as dependable, gen4 19 included.

barth 10-10-2012 18:47

I have a HK P30 40 LEM V1 and HK P2K LEM V1.
These designs came out after the USP compact.
And I favor both over USP guns.

Make sure you check them out.
As well as the outstanding HK LEM trigger.
P30 40
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mya...=true&rs=false
P2K 357
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mya...=true&rs=false

skyboss_4evr 10-10-2012 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 19505032)
I don't think they're equal at all.

I'll take the HK all day long.

Spoken like a true gun snob.

The G19 will do everything the Hk will do at a fraction of the price.

zgar 10-11-2012 00:55

HK any day ! Own the P30 & The HK 45. zero issues ever!

Pred8tory 10-11-2012 04:26

I own both. I have 3 HK USP Compacts, 9mm, 40 and 45. Glocks, too numerous to mention. I really like the V1 option on the HKs that allow cocked and locked as an option. That being said, if I carry a semi-auto it's usually a Glock 26/27 in my pocket.

Bruce M 10-11-2012 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr (Post 19506007)

Well the H&K will do almost everything that the G19 does. It won't regularly bonk you in the face with an empty casing :supergrin:

And there might be a slight bit of difference in the fit and finish of a couple of internal parts.

Brandon712 10-11-2012 08:47

I own a USP compact .45 and I LOVE it. It has a thumb safety but I wish it had the DAK trigger in it. I am not a big fan of DA/ SA.

The one issue I have with it is its a bit bulky to carry (due to it being the .45 model), the grip is pretty chunky.

It fires like a dream and its accurate as hell for a little compact. way more accurate than I could ever hope to be.

Checking the date code I believe mine was built in the late 90's. But picked it up barely used about 5 years ago for $520. It was just too good of a deal to pass up.

USMC03Grunt 10-11-2012 12:25

While I own a Gen2 G19, I'm more of a .40/.45 guy so what I can compare is my Gen3 G23 made in 2004 and my USP-40C made in 1996. While the Glock is good in that it doesn't spit brass into my face ala Gen4 style and is combat accurate, the USP-40C is still the better gun. In both cases, reliability has been 100% with both guns so I don't even consider this a factor from these two makers. However, it's better fit, finish and accuracy are what sets it above the Glock.
Yes, the Glock is plenty "combat accurate" but the H&K is "combat accurate +P" so-to-speak. The LEM trigger is excellent and if you're worried about a mechanical safety or don't want the DA/SA trigger pull, the LEM is perfect for you. The LEM trigger also allows you to do something no Glock is able to do and that is give you a second strike capability. Might be a factor in your decision based on your training or maybe not but it's an option the Glock can't match.
Now the Glock with it's lower bore axis does allow faster split times between shots. When I was testing several .45 ACP handguns years ago (never got around to testing the .40 S&W handguns) my G21 was turning in faster split times than my USP-45F. However, those times were about .002-.003 faster so is it really all that much faster to make a real difference? I don't think so.
One other thing I discovered is that like the .40 caliber models, the .45 ACP Glock and USP were similar in accuracy in that the USP had the edge. Part of my testing battery was to run an El Presidente course of fire twice with a reload for a total of 12 rounds fired then scored with a Virgina count. The Glock 21 did turn in slightly faster times but the better accuracy of the USP-45F turned in the better overall scrore.
Honestly, I don't think you are going to go wrong with either choice. The HK is more modular in you can set it up the way you want it but the Glock is going to allow you more bells and whistles in the form of aftermarket accessories. If you have the budget for the higher priced H&K and want the better finished pistol with better accuracy, I say go for it. If however, you are more limited in what you can spend, the pre-gen4 Glock isn't a bad choice either IMHO. Then again, may as well do what I did and buy both and enjoy them equally. :thumbsup:

USMC03Grunt 10-11-2012 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyboss_4evr (Post 19506007)

Second strike capability?:tongueout:

jones n 10-11-2012 13:48

I have own both in the past and its all about what you like.
I like the Glock a little better so I ended up selling the HK but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

barth 10-11-2012 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones n (Post 19507682)
I have own both in the past and its all about what you like.
I like the Glock a little better so I ended up selling the HK but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

+1
I have and like both.
You really need to shoot both and see if you favor one over the other.

JBarbaresi 10-12-2012 21:19

I sold a usp40c to buy my first g19 years ago. Several reasons for this, all personal preference. I have no regrets, in fact ive tried several other guns along the way as well and nothing beats the g19 for my needs.

H&K 4 LIFE 10-13-2012 06:17

I like both my G19 (Gen 3) and my USPc .40. Both have been good reliable guns.

I think it comes down to what you really want. Do you want a striker fired pistol, or a hammer fired pistol? Do you want a manual safety? How good are you with the DA to SA transition, or do you want to carry cocked and locked?

Keep in mind that magazines for the HK are going to generally be more expensive as well. I try to buy all my HK magazines lightly used off the forums.

The brass to face issue with the Gen 4's seems to happen with some pistols and not with others. But one thing is for certain, it will not happen with the HK. :)

skyboss_4evr 10-13-2012 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC03Grunt (Post 19507402)

LOL touché!

JBarbaresi 10-13-2012 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC03Grunt (Post 19507402)

Glocks dont need a second strike :tongueout:

They are both good, so are several other brands out there. At mil pricing i can almost get 2 g19s for the price of 1 hk. If you plan on keeping it forever the price point is moot.

Deriffe 10-14-2012 19:33

Had an HK USP Compact .40 and sold it to get a G23 because I loved my G22 and did not care for the magazine release on the HK. Quality weapon for sure, but just my personal preference was to get another Glock.