Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Handgun stopping power (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447031)

OctoberRust 10-09-2012 20:08

Handgun stopping power

That's a LOT of time he had, before he was incapacitated.

Was watching unsolved mysteries, but when I came accross this I figured I'd post it here just to put handgun stopping power in perspective.

uz2bUSMC 10-09-2012 20:19

That puts everything amazingly into perspective.

OctoberRust 10-09-2012 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC (Post 19502238)
That puts everything amazingly into perspective.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, or serious.

I mean, don't worry, you carry a 10mm, regardless of where you hit your attacker he'll be vaporized. We're talking about lowly handgun rounds in this topic. :dunno:

Every circumstance is different, I know some people can die on the spot simply by tripping on their own two feet, and others can be a bullet sponge.

There isn't much more information than beside it being a handgun. It looked like he was his in COM at least once though, and he was walking and talking for a far lengthier time than what's ever considered a good SD stop.

M 7 10-09-2012 21:55

OK, the guy took two peripheral hits (one to his arm and one to his shoulder -4:05 in the vid) and remained upright and mobile for several hours afterwards.

What's so surprising about that? :dunno:

PghJim 10-10-2012 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by M 7 (Post 19502513)
OK, the guy took two peripheral hits (one to his arm and one to his shoulder -4:05 in the vid) and remained upright and mobile for several hours afterwards.

What's so surprising about that? :dunno:

I think he took three hits, or you have one of them wrong. One shot hit the liver. They did not say anything about caliber, so it is hard to draw any conclusions.

SCmasterblaster 10-10-2012 07:44

It is an awful shame that the guy died . . . . .

M 7 10-10-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by PghJim (Post 19502719)
I think he took three hits, or you have one of them wrong. One shot hit the liver. They did not say anything about caliber, so it is hard to draw any conclusions.

Listen to the vid at 4:05- they said that he took two shots- one to the shoulder, the other to the arm and died of complications from the lacerated liver. Perhaps one of those shots produced that damage, but the vid clip is pretty clear- it was two shots.

Either way, the shots were peripheral hits and the results are what we'd expect- the guy remained capable/mobile for quite some time after being shot.

If those shots had punched him COM, I doubt that the story would've unfolded as it did with the poor SOB expiring much sooner than he did under the actual circumstances.

SCmasterblaster 10-11-2012 11:58

Reason number one million to carry and be ready with a handgun.