Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Thinking about selling all my 9's (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446812)

MLittle 10-08-2012 15:33

Thinking about selling all my 9's

This will probably generate a lot of traffic on GT....

I'm thinking about selling all of my 9mm pistols. I have four of them: a Sig Sauer P226, Glock 26, CZ75D Compact and Smith and Wesson 6906. Yeah, I know I probably won't get crap for them at my local gun store....even when I sell them on consignment.

Here's my reasoning on why I might sell. For the past 2 years I've only been carrying 45acp pistols and occasionally a pocket 38 revolver when I can't carry my normal edc (either a Glock 30sf or Sig P220 Carry). I'll shoot one of the nines at the range once and a while, but I really like my 45's better. I reload my own ammunition so shooting my 45's really isn't a big deal....about $12 a box. Reloading 9mm costs me about $6 a box.

As far as 45's go....have enough (Glock30sf, two Sig P220Carry's, a Colt Commander and in a few months a new Ed Brown Executive Carry).

Am I nuts?? Please be kind in your remarks......

mixflip 10-08-2012 15:37

Why sell them? Whats wrong with just keeping them. Who knows they might get restricted or banned and go up in price since they would be grandfathered as pre-banned. You never know???

Plus there is the revolution and/or zombie apocalypse. You could always use more guns there.

CBennett 10-08-2012 15:39

Keep at least one sell the rest to fund something fun :)

DonD 10-08-2012 15:40

No you're not nuts unless you're selling the 9s out of a feeling that they're inadequate which they're not. If you are bored with them and prefer the .45ACP, they can provide lots of components for you to reload with. Don

checkyoursix 10-08-2012 15:43

Since you do need to sell them, take your time. GC classifieds, a local board, selling a gun to another individual it's more rewarding for you and the buyer. This way you will feel better about having sold them.

You have plenty of good guns, you reload, do as you see fit. Have fun and buy more 45's with the money.

K.Kiser 10-08-2012 15:49

Both are nice calibers, but you prefer the .45 so I say full speed ahead with whatever it is that you want... This for the most part is a luxury sport that is for entertainment, so it makes perfect sense to concentrate on what entertains you the most... 9mm's are just about everywhere, so if you ever want to switch back it shouldn't be a real issue to do so with relative ease... However, if I were you I wouldn't sell the reloading supplies just yet...

12131 10-08-2012 16:39

You're not nut. Sell them, if they don't fit your style.

mjkeat 10-08-2012 16:40

Why the preference for 45 over 9?

I'll add, if the 45 gets it done for you then that's what I'd stick with. Hang onto them for a while longer. Prices may go up.

faawrenchbndr 10-08-2012 16:41

If they are something you no longer care for,.....part ways with them.

GlockinNJ 10-08-2012 16:42

If you don't need the money, why sell? Guns don't expire.

ctfireman 10-08-2012 16:45

If you don't need the money just hang on to them. You may change your mind down the road. If you can use the money, sell local or here in classifieds so you don't take a huge loss.

alwaysshootin 10-08-2012 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBennett (Post 19497790)
Keep at least one sell the rest to fund something fun :)

That's what I did, and the one I kept, is actually a 40 cal, with the 9MM conversion barrel.

With having so many calibers, years ago, decided to narrow it down some. For me, the nine was for plinking only! I prefer the 40, 45, and 10MM for my carry role. Had a 19, and 23 at the same time, and when I headed out the door, the 23 always got the nod. When it comes to range time, there never seems to be enough time, and the nine, rarely sees a target.

Keep one, they are fun to shoot!:wavey:

GlockFish 10-08-2012 17:01

That's crazy talk.

countrygun 10-08-2012 17:03

I have an odd perspective in that, despite the fact I have been a shooter since my teens, I didn't own a 9mm until I was in my late 30's. The performance of the ammo until then and my .45/357 mindset kept me from "bothering".

I carry a range of guns and the 9 fits in now. In a general "for the good of things/you never know" kind of way, I can'tsee being without some 9. They are fun to shoot if nothing else and I know if I got rid of my CZ 75 Compact I'd never find a .45 that fit that niche, multiply that by an extra factor if I had a "D" model.

It is sort of the way I feel about my Python and my Officer's Model Match. Those I know I am never going to carry (The Python is a 6") but with both of them there are times I just WANT to shoot a handgun like that.

I guess I don't have a problem keeping a gun in a common caliber if I like the gun enough to have bought it.

bac1023 10-08-2012 17:13

Sorry to hear

9mm is my favorite caliber. I've got over 50 9mm pistols.

jbglock 10-08-2012 17:26

I'd keep one or two given what the climate may be if we get another Clinton style ban. They may shoot up in price. At worse they won't go up but they certainly won't go down either. I'd wait a little longer and then sell them.

Cole125 10-08-2012 19:07

Nothing wrong with liking the .45 ACP, it's my favorite pistol caliber. :cool:

Keep at least one 9mm, though.

cowboy1964 10-08-2012 19:12

You may get a good price for the Sig. The rest, I dunno.

I agree, keep one, just because.

I'm actually thinking of giving up on .45. Even with reloading, the bullets cost more and I'm growing to actually not like the recoil impulse so much now that I'm shooting more .40 (it used to be the other way around). Plus I just don't like the low capacity. Not knocking .45, it's an awesome caliber, but this is just the way it is for me.

Line Rider 10-08-2012 19:45

Keep the SIG P-226, sell the rest.

checkyoursix 10-08-2012 19:52

Why people say keep one? These are mass produced items, not some unique collectors' stuff. If it is emotional then keep them.

Rationally though there is not a single reason in the world to keep them; actually, given the performance of gun manufacturers stocks, gun prices might be heading down even though obviously I have no idea where they are heading.