Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Feeding the Malcontent, (State Corrections) (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446807)

Hack 10-08-2012 15:04

Feeding the Malcontent, (State Corrections)

In order to not run afoul of current regulations I work with, I will attribute this to what I have seen in the state system that I used to work in. However, I would not be surprised as to how much this applies in many prison settings.

When feeding inmates it is amazing at times the amount of complaining that I have heard. I'm thinking it really hasn't changed that much over the years. What they have been fed was deemed nutritionally sufficient, and varied enough to keep them in reasonably good health, and to have been done on a budget.

It is sometimes interesting when I have mentioned to them about how good they really have it. The responses I have gotten were varied, of course; but usually they reek of discontent. No, they haven't gotten everything they wanted. But, they have gotten fed the nutrients of a life sustaining diet, and gaining weight was easy enough. They were not forced into hard labor in our country, since there are those who deem that to be cruel, and unusual punishment. They haven't had to grow there own food to survive, nor have they had to bribe the guards with money in order to have food brought in to them from the outside, (not to mention that was illegal).

In some countries it is expected that there will be a family member who will bring food in from the outside, or else the inmate goes hungry. In some others if they are lucky enough they will get enough to live on, and to survive. I remember when the county I was born in used to feed a couple of bologna and cheese sandwiches, and maybe some cold cereal a day, (I was involved in local jail ministry then), yet these knuckleheads that I have watched over the years in the state were complaining because the food didn't meet there personal dietary standards; while getting three hots and cot.

Get a clue inmates, (some of those incarcerated will possibly see this), don't get convicted of crimes against society. Then you can eat what you can afford to eat on your money, or ours if you are on welfare.

blueiron 10-08-2012 18:32

I keep telling ya - exhausted inmates are compliant inmates!

Hack 10-08-2012 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueiron (Post 19498356)
I keep telling ya - exhausted inmates are compliant inmates!

Totally agree. Unfortunately, chain gangs and such like are not allowed in the fed system. But, I have some ideas that would really work, and may even be allowed under federal law, although policy would have to be changed.:supergrin:

blueiron 10-08-2012 19:05

Don't want 'chain gangs'? How about press gangs aboard merchant ships? Hulls need to be needle chipped, brightwork needs polishing, metal needs to be painted, bilges need cleaning, decks need holystoning, engineering needs greasing, etc.

It gets them out of the nation, teaches them a trade, reduces escapes onto U.S. territories, and malcontents can ride out their protestations in the brig under Admiralty law.

Work the way out or suffer the consequences.

Bren 10-08-2012 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hack (Post 19497677)
Get a clue inmates, (some of those incarcerated will possibly see this), don't get convicted of crimes against society. Then you can eat what you can afford to eat on your money, or ours if you are on welfare.

They need to have and annual "Nutriloaf Month" so they will appreciate what they are getting the other 11 months of the year.

Hack 10-08-2012 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19498471)
They need to have and annual "Nutriloaf Month" so they will appreciate what they are getting the other 11 months of the year.

He, he. I think that would be a splendid idea.

I know the US Army DB used to do that to certain of the malcontent. From what I heard it worked real well concerning behaviour modification.:supergrin:

Hack 10-08-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueiron (Post 19498469)
Don't want 'chain gangs'? How about press gangs aboard merchant ships? Hulls need to be needle chipped, brightwork needs polishing, metal needs to be painted, bilges need cleaning, decks need holystoning, engineering needs greasing, etc.

It gets them out of the nation, teaches them a trade, reduces escapes onto U.S. territories, and malcontents can ride out their protestations in the brig under Admiralty law.

Work the way out or suffer the consequences.

Now there is something to propose to your congress person. Since you don't work for my agency it may even be more effective.

Vigilant 10-08-2012 19:36

So much WIN in this thread! :thumbsup:

I have told more than one of those turds that if they don't like our customer service, there is a quick and easy cure for that.

I'm about tired of the bellyaching. I had one sitting in front of me a while back who had the nerve to say, "I don't like it here". My response: "Well guess what. You're not SUPPOSED to like it here!"

Bastards.

Hack 10-08-2012 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigilant (Post 19498596)
So much WIN in this thread! :thumbsup:

I have told more than one of those turds that if they don't like our customer service, there is a quick and easy cure for that.

I'm about tired of the bellyaching. I had one sitting in front of me a while back who had the nerve to say, "I don't like it here". My response: "Well guess what. You're not SUPPOSED to like it here!"

Bastards.

I feel the pain brother.

frizz 10-08-2012 19:46

They are malcontents, right?

Hack 10-08-2012 20:03

Quite so.

kpuscg04 10-08-2012 21:38

As a former merchant mariner, I'd like to address the suggestion of putting convicts on merchant vessels as work crews.

NO.

That is all.

Hack 10-08-2012 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpuscg04 (Post 19499150)
As a former merchant mariner, I'd like to address the suggestion of putting convicts on merchant vessels as work crews.

NO.

That is all.

OK. How about committing them to transportation, with BOP in charge of the inmates, and merchant mariners being in charge of the ships?

Vigilant 10-08-2012 22:44

How about bring back the REAL chain gangs? As Blue said, exhausted inmates are compliant inmates.

drewseph 10-08-2012 23:02

"This jail sucks."-I/m

"Thanks man." -Me

merlynusn 10-09-2012 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpuscg04 (Post 19499150)

NO.

That is all.

As another former merchant mariner. I agree Jim.

If anyone really wants a longer explanation, I'm more than happy to oblige.

frizz 10-09-2012 07:24

This reminds me of what a mental health counselor told me he haw at the women's prison in Alabama. Hamburger meat shipped into the cafeteria that was marked "Unfit for Human Consumption."

Gotta admit mixed feelings on that.

RocPO 10-09-2012 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizz (Post 19499956)
This reminds me of what a mental health counselor told me he haw at the women's prison in Alabama. Hamburger meat shipped into the cafeteria that was marked "Unfit for Human Consumption."

Gotta admit mixed feelings on that.

Good thing it was going to inmates then. :upeyes:

lawman800 10-09-2012 07:54

I've heard inmates gripe while I was booking and processing at the County lockup. I just tell them it ain't the Hilton and if they don't like it, don't come back.

frizz 10-09-2012 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocPO (Post 19500037)
Good thing it was going to inmates then. :upeyes:

Better them than COs.