Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Tula or Wolf? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446712)

Walk Soft 10-07-2012 20:58

Tula or Wolf?
 
I'm wanting to buy a case of plinking ammo to shoot out of my new Colt LE6920(that you guys helped me decide on).
Does anyone have a preference between Tula and Wolf?
I realize they're both bottom of the barrel,but buying the Colt has put a strain of my "gun" budget.

mvician 10-07-2012 21:11

MFS over Wolf or Tula.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104532480


use code 2FALL for $5 shipping before Oct 14th.

jbglock 10-07-2012 22:50

I'd pay a bit more and get some PMC Bronze .223 55grain. Funtion and accuracy are great in my 6920. Went to a gun show yesterday and just about everyone selling ammo had it for $7 a box or less.

cowboywannabe 10-07-2012 22:57

Tul is cheaper.

JimBianchi 10-07-2012 23:05

Silver Bear is my favorite cheap ammo.

Very accurate too.

MAC702 10-07-2012 23:11

I bought 1000 rounds of Tula .223 when Cabela's put it on sale 2 years ago.

It jams every .223 rifle I own, including Ruger Mini-14's. I've never jammed a Ruger Mini-14 in my entire life until then. And when I say jam, I mean jam, not malfunction. It sticks in the chamber so badly, the rim breaks, and you have to extract the fired case with a cleaning rod.

An AR can't get through one magazine. It'll jam a Mini-14 at some point during the day.

And I still have 850 rounds of this crap.

I've not heard of problems with Wolf, but I've not shot much of it.

WoodenPlank 10-07-2012 23:27

I'd try a bit of both before buying in bulk. The last Colt barrel I had did not like steel cased at ALL.

cowboywannabe 10-07-2012 23:58

Is it "tul" or tula"? Ive only seen tul ammo, not tula ammo.

wildmanjeff 10-08-2012 06:50

I can't speak for others' rifles, I built 4 rifles this year so far, each one gets tested with couple mags of Tulammo just to see how gas system functions=if it functions with lower powered ammo, it will probably never fail to cycle with 855 ammo.

I have had one failure out of probably 400 rounds so far, a failure to eject.

I prefer brass cased ammo for ability to reload--most ammo has went up about 20% this year. Tulammo is still $5 box at wal-mart.

It is coated with a polymer/shelac/varnish or something. I ran some thru a rifle with no gas tube to sight it in, and it wanted to stick in the chamber since it was not immediately ejected, but it was still able to be cycled out with the charging handle. I did not notice any residue or anything in the chamber when cleaning. It is also supposed to be non-corossive now, but I clean throughly anyway as it is dirty burning ammo.

for practice and testing I recommend it, also for stockpile, in case next administration decides to tax the hell out of ammo and ammo becomes 200% or more what it costs now.

Walk Soft 10-08-2012 07:03

[QUOTE=wildmanjeff;19496351

for practice and testing I recommend it, also for stockpile, in case next administration decides to tax the hell out of ammo and ammo becomes 200% or more what it costs now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just bought two cases of green tip,but now i need something to shoot.I'll probably buy a couple boxes of 20 of Tula just to try,Thanks.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...y/SAM_0253.jpg

Walk Soft 10-08-2012 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodenPlank (Post 19495953)
I'd try a bit of both before buying in bulk. The last Colt barrel I had did not like steel cased at ALL.

I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Walk Soft 10-08-2012 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBianchi (Post 19495919)
Silver Bear is my favorite cheap ammo.

Very accurate too.

If I can find some I'll give it a shot,thanks.

Walk Soft 10-08-2012 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvician (Post 19495714)
MFS over Wolf or Tula.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104532480


use code 2FALL for $5 shipping before Oct 14th.

Thanks for the link.I ordered two UMC value packs,15 boxes of the MFS(on sale) and 15 boxes of Federal AE LCT ammo.
I've noticed most places prices are pretty much the same on ammo.Shipping cost is the biggest variable.

Jeremy_K 10-08-2012 07:16

FWIW I've fired about 100 rounds each of TulAmmo steel, Wolf steel, and Hornady match steel through my Stag out of 5 different mags and haven't had one malfunction.

rockapede 10-08-2012 07:17

I've shot probably 1000 rounds of Tulammo. Other than one light load (that felt light) that didn't cycle far enough to strip a new round, but ejected just fine, I've had no issues.

SGT HATRED 10-08-2012 07:18

I too have had problems with tula in my bushmaster. The case jamming in the barrel and without a ram it's impossible to get out. However this happens occasionally with all the steel cased ammo I purchased. I found a guy selling 800 rounds of mixed ammo for 80$. It was wolf classic military, tula and brown bear. Not every mag would have a jam but it happened more frequently with the tula...

Walk Soft 10-08-2012 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy_K (Post 19496429)
FWIW I've fired about 100 rounds each of TulAmmo steel, Wolf steel, and Hornady match steel through my Stag out of 5 different mags and haven't had one malfunction.

It's worth something.I was hoping for a lot more replies like this.

Walk Soft 10-08-2012 07:22

I bought a case of Tula in 9mm and never had an issue in my Glocks.Glocks have spoiled me.

Glockdude1 10-08-2012 07:22

M193

:cool:

RatDrall 10-08-2012 07:37

Quote:

if it functions with lower powered ammo, it will probably never fail to cycle with 855 ammo.
If it functions with low powered ammo, it's over gassed, isn't it?

mjkeat 10-08-2012 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC702 (Post 19495928)
I bought 1000 rounds of Tula .223 when Cabela's put it on sale 2 years ago.

It jams every .223 rifle I own, including Ruger Mini-14's. I've never jammed a Ruger Mini-14 in my entire life until then. And when I say jam, I mean jam, not malfunction. It sticks in the chamber so badly, the rim breaks, and you have to extract the fired case with a cleaning rod.

An AR can't get through one magazine. It'll jam a Mini-14 at some point during the day.

And I still have 850 rounds of this crap.

I've not heard of problems with Wolf, but I've shot much of it.

I'll pm you my address. I'll pay shipping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wildmanjeff 10-08-2012 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walk Soft (Post 19496392)
Yeah I just bought two cases of green tip,but now i need something to shoot.I'll probably buy a couple boxes of 20 of Tula just to try,Thanks.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...y/SAM_0253.jpg

Same here bud-- I like the M855 ammo. I was lucky enough to get 3x 840 round earlier this summer when it was still $360 each with shipping--hope those prices return

wildmanjeff 10-08-2012 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatDrall (Post 19496481)
If it functions with low powered ammo, it's over gassed, isn't it?

not necessarily--there should be a range that it functions with. I personally use mid length gas system on the 4 rifles I built, 16 in FN barrels with PWS 556 FH/comp ,Spike's tactical T-2 buffers, standard buffer spring- and it recoils really soft in my opinion.
The carbine gas system is supposed to have a higher gas impulse than the mid-length gas system. I had read on AR15 web forums that they can be overgassed, but I have only shot one carbine with carbine gas system. kick was a little harder, don't know specifics on the gun though (just shot one at the range).

SCSU74 10-08-2012 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walk Soft (Post 19495690)
I'm wanting to buy a case of plinking ammo to shoot out of my new Colt LE6920(that you guys helped me decide on).
Does anyone have a preference between Tula and Wolf?
I realize they're both bottom of the barrel,but buying the Colt has put a strain of my "gun" budget.

I got a cmmg .22 drop in bolt. Much cheaper than either :)


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

wildmanjeff 10-08-2012 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCSU74 (Post 19496860)
I got a cmmg .22 drop in bolt. Much cheaper than either :)


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of the conversion. If I was able to go out plinking more I probably would


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.