Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New to the Glock Family (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446666)

Taycel 10-07-2012 16:15

New to the Glock Family

Around the first week of August, I bought a new Glock 19, after never owning a handgun before. I have always owned a rifle and a shotgun, but had the urge to buy my first pistol since several of my friends at church are into CCW's, also. After constantly reading forums and watching Hickok45 on Youtube, I went to my local gunshop/range and shot a box of bullets through a Glock 21SF RTF - the "Great American hand cannon", as a friend of mine calls it. SOLD, and addicted !!! So, I now own 2 Glocks and I have discovered that I now have a new hobby, since both of my daughters are out of the house and are in college.

In am in need of opinions on the following two items. First, what is the advantage/disadvantage of a stainless steel guide rod in both guns and second, do y'all prefer rail-mounted lights OR night sights ??

Glock Master 10-07-2012 16:29

Welcome to GT and congrats on the Glock pistols.

SJ 40 10-07-2012 16:38

Welcome to GT ! The best buy in RSA is OEM Glock.
The theory behind the SS RSA is supposedly stiffer,less flex,possibly more accuracy. Average SS RSA 35.00, Glock OEM 7.00 SJ 40

Bruce M 10-07-2012 17:07

Few people report issues with any of several stainless rods. But fewer still report issues with the Glock recoil spring assembly. For reliability I opt for the Glock.

If I could only have one it would definitely be night sights. And if I have a light mounted on the gun I use it as a secondary light. Some people really dislike having a gun pointed at them because the light attached to it was pointed at them.

Ranger45 10-07-2012 17:15

Welcome to GT, and congrats on the G19 and G21(I have both as well...they're great pistols!) I have night sights on all of my handguns, and hope to pick up a tac light in the near future. Never thought much of lasers, but my father recently installed a guide rod laser on his G19...pretty nifty.

(Love trucks with that blue oval on the grille, too!)

bac1023 10-07-2012 18:35

:welcome: and congrats

Glock40man 10-08-2012 02:13

Welcome to GT and, congrats on your Glocks!:cool: You're off to a good start.:supergrin:

larson1122 10-08-2012 04:51

I don't see much of an advantage to the stainless guide rod unless you want to play around with different spring weights. If I were to choose between night sights and a weapon mounted light, I would have to go with the night sights. And Welcome to GT!

DannyR 10-08-2012 06:08

Best combo is night sights plus a hand held Surefire.

Beanie-Bean 10-08-2012 06:41

Congrats in the new Glock! The stock recoil spring assembly (spring/guide rod) is just fine. If you're going to be loading your own ammo, or shooting a lot of hot ammo through it, I'd just leave it as-is.

I'd recommend night sights first, then add a tac light later on.