Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   A real loss for me. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446517)

Uncle Don 10-06-2012 16:29

A real loss for me.

My wife and I Have just returned from the funeral of the man that introduced/taught me to reload back in 1985. He was a father type mentor and we remained close friends until his death on Wednesday. Through experiences with him, I believe I learned at least as much about external ballistics, load development, pressure and lead than everything I've read since.

Rest in Peace Paul Reed - you have earned your reward but I'll still miss you.

WiskyT 10-06-2012 16:33

I'm sorry you lost your friend.

Colorado4Wheel 10-06-2012 17:12

Very sorry for your loss.

RustyFN 10-06-2012 17:28

Sorry for your loss Uncle Don.

emtjr928 10-06-2012 18:14

Thoughts and prayers to you and Paul's family.

alank2 10-06-2012 18:15

Hi,

Sorry to hear it Uncle Don, it sounds like Paul was an exceptional person.

Take care,

Alan

PhantomF4E 10-06-2012 18:17

Sorry for you loss. Now pay it forward , pass the knowledge on to someone else, and tell them to do the same thing . He lives forever that way .

rg1 10-06-2012 18:20

Sorry for your loss and prayers for his family! That type of person is what keeps the shooting community growing and learning. More of us shooters and reloaders should be like your friend and mentor and teach the fun and safety of shooting and reloading to anyone that is interested. It'll keep the sport growing and protect our 2nd amendment rights to have more participants.

sellersm 10-06-2012 20:02

Condolences to you and Paul's family. As was mentioned, be sure to share just as Paul did!

Boxerglocker 10-06-2012 20:22

Sorry for your loss Uncle Don.

shotgunred 10-06-2012 20:55

I am very sorry to hear that. The loss of a loved one is always a painfull thing.

Zombie Steve 10-06-2012 20:57

RIP Mr. Reed.

bush pilot 10-06-2012 21:25

Sorry to hear of your loss, I hope your friend wasn't in pain at the end.

banjobob 10-07-2012 07:32

I had someone like that too. I worked at a gun store when I was 16-18, Gene was about 60. I learned more about life from him than maybe anyone. He was a master BSer. My favorite quote from him was in reference to the Vietnamese. "Bobert it's a F&$@ed up world 20 years ago I was paid to kill them, today I'm paid to wait on them." I kept in touch with gene for the next 20 years. I miss him a lot and think about him often when shooting or when I see one of his old guns in the safe.

I'm sorry for your loss.

May Gene and Paul both rest in peace.

El_Ron1 10-07-2012 18:20

My sincere condolences, Uncle Don.

RWE 10-08-2012 08:48

Sorry to hear of your friends passing and your loss sir, may the memories stay with you and be shared.

Uncle Don 10-09-2012 06:34

Thank you for the thoughts - I'll do my best to move the hobby forward as suggested. I think Paul would like that.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/PaulReed.jpg

SCmasterblaster 10-09-2012 19:39

Rip . . . .

Nutt51 10-10-2012 10:35

I am sorry for your loss, I'm glad you had such a good friend and mentor, but sorry you lost him. When I started to read this thread, I had the same thought several expressed.
His legacy is the knowledge, kindness, and friendship he passed on to you, which you can now mentor and pass on to someone else.
I had a similar experience just a couple of years back.

My friend of 35 years taught me a lot about guns and shooting, he also was very instrumental in helping me become a Mason.
We didn't see each other or talk as often after he retired, but
he always told me to come on by and do some shooting if I were in the area. He was about 25 miles away and had 60 or so acres and a 200 yard outdoor range.

I thought about him and his wife many times over the years and always did mean to make the trip down and visit and shoot some. We did see each other from time to time and I told him I would be down, and he always said,"Any Time".

A work buddy passed away, and we ran into each other at the visitation, I was arriving and he was just leaving. We talked for a few minutes, and I told him that I had been meaning to come down, and as always he said any time and that he would be glad to see me. I was honestly, going to
go very soon.

Three weeks later, after we talked, my friend was killed at his home, in a tractor accident. I never made the visit.
At his funeral, I kept thinking of a saying that I had heard
years before,
"I would cherish one flower and a kind word while I am
here, more than a truckload of flowers after I am gone."

Never put off contacting those who are special to you,
friends or family, because we never know when that bond
will be broken. Always remember those who are gone and
who we loved and held special, the joy they brought us, and the things they taught us. I again am sorry for you loss,
but remember and pass on the things he taught you.

Steve Koski 10-10-2012 10:37

Don,

I'm glad Paul got you going. You've certainly taught a lot of others along the way, including me. Thank you.

Koski