Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Florida Glockers Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Pistol at home without CC permit? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446418)

Romadoc 10-06-2012 06:20

Pistol at home without CC permit?

I have recently moved to FL and have not yet received my permit. Can I legally keep a loaded pistol in my home for defensive use?

itsnitro 10-06-2012 06:23

Yes and if you have kids keep It out of their reach.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JerryVO 10-06-2012 06:38

You can also keep it in your car without a permit as long as it is not ' immediately accessable' so you can keep it in the glove box or center console but not sitting on the passenger seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

itsnitro 10-06-2012 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopela (Post 19490231)
You can also keep it in your car without a permit as long as it is not ' immediately accessable' so you can keep it in the glove box or center console but not sitting on the passenger seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Loaded with one in the camber as well....

PhantomF4E 10-06-2012 18:39

As stated above , in the home govern yourself accordingly . In the vehicle, there is a standard old saying 1-2-3 . Yes you can carry a loaded gun in your car , but be advised LEO's have a pretty broad interpretation of the law, and depending on the circumstance you could have some 'splaining to do . The 1-2-3 philosophy is 1-obtain the gun. 2-unholster , unzip, unbox, or make ready . 3- fire . Some people will say get a shoot through holster or circumvent this in varying ways . Again govern yourself accordingly .
My advice get your permit as quickly as your circumstances present themselves . Remember in Florida your home is your castle , that "luxury" in Florida, extends to your vehicle . Your permit is your official "I am a good guy" card. Welcome to Florida !

rich52us 10-07-2012 07:32

I agree with all of the above advice. However, I would strongly suggest that you purchase THE reference on owning, carrying, and using firearms in Florida:

"Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq.

I believe the 7th edition is out now. You can find it in most gun shops and pawn shops, or online. It's well worth the $26.00 or so.

Lowjiber 10-07-2012 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich52us (Post 19493288)
I agree with all of the above advice. However, I would strongly suggest that you purchase THE reference on owning, carrying, and using firearms in Florida:

"Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq.

I believe the 7th edition is out now. You can find it in most gun shops and pawn shops, or online. It's well worth the $26.00 or so.

It's also available at just about every major gun show in Florida. It's the "bible" as far as I'm concerned.

CitizenOfDreams 10-07-2012 08:42

Also, in case you moved from New Jersey, we can have hollow point bullets here in FL. :wavey:

FLSquirrelHunter 10-31-2012 19:52

Read the [URL="http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/Chapter790/All"]FL statute 790[/URL]. especially "...it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:" ... including "A person possessing arms at his or her home..." and "A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased" ... where "Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

I am not a lawyer, but I believe we can store or carry a loaded handgun in our home and on our own property. What we cannot do is use it to intimidate someone or make it available to minors.