Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Tenifer-When switched (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446185)

DirtyDan 10-04-2012 14:39

Tenifer-When switched

I knew Glock had been playing with different finishes the last couple of years and had heard rumors about them stopping using the actual Tenifer process and today I talked to Glock Inc. and they said that yes they have stopped using Tenifer and now use a similar although not exactly the same process.The CS rep could not tell me why or when they switched.

Does anyone know when Glock stopped using the actual Tenifer process?

cowboy1964 10-04-2012 14:49

Be aware that the metal treatment and the top coat are two different things. The Tenifer is underneath the top coat.

I just picked up a Gen 4 23. The improved grippiness of the lighter gray finish is really welcome.

DannyR 10-04-2012 15:12

GLOCK has indeed replaced the Tenifer process with a Nitrate (or Nitride) process. I think the transition took place at least a year ago. I learned of it in March 2012 at Armorer's Class.

BBMW 10-04-2012 15:18

Tennifer was a nitride process (ferric nitrocarborizing?) From what I heard, they switched to Melonite, which is a different name brand of ferric nitrocarborizing. Interestingly, they're both sold by the same company.

And yes, Glock puts a cosmetic top coat on top of this.

seed 10-04-2012 15:22

Tennifer uses cyanide as a medium and is either illegal to use in the U.S. or is strictly regulated (with obvious good reason). Melonite uses a different medium and is much more common here and is probably catching on in Europe.

DirtyDan 10-04-2012 18:48

Last new Glock I purchased was a G26 with a Manufacture date of July 2009. Slide finish is black and shiny, but the barrel looks more greyish. I had never even noticed it until reading about the different finishes and went and compared it with my older Glocks. Not real concerned about it as long it has the Tenifer under it and it sounds like I should have based on the manufacture date.

faawrenchbndr 10-05-2012 01:56

It's all about using safer chemicals in the process.
Basically the same metal treatment.

SmoKoY 10-05-2012 03:16

I was wondering that too. Got my g19 gen 3 (US not Austria) and noticed the duller finish of the slide compared to my brother's g19 gen3 mariner (Austria) which had a more glossy texture.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ricklee4570 10-05-2012 03:26

Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.

gwdex 10-05-2012 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by seed (Post 19485495)
Tennifer uses cyanide as a medium and is either illegal to use in the U.S. or is strictly regulated (with obvious good reason). Melonite uses a different medium and is much more common here and is probably catching on in Europe.

Tenifer and Melonite are essentially the same process, both manufactured by HEF. Both develop a small amount of cyanide, along with the cyanates produced in the salt bath, which create a compound layer of nitride over a diffusion zone.

Greg

ricklee4570 10-05-2012 05:56

If they both are so similar and both have the same byproduct of cyanide, why did Glock switch?

Ridder 10-05-2012 07:09

Maybe they didn't.......

They still have Tenifer mentioned on their site!

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm

SJ 40 10-05-2012 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridder (Post 19487318)
Maybe they didn't.......

They still have Tenifer mentioned on their site!

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm

I wouldn't go by that their website is usually out of date. SJ 40

fuzzy03cls 10-05-2012 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricklee4570 (Post 19487045)
Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.

Time has already told. Many reports of the new finish sucking for wear & more reports of glocks rusting in spots from normal holster wear & carry.
Many more reports then the older glocks before they started this new process.

gwdex 10-05-2012 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricklee4570 (Post 19487180)
If they both are so similar and both have the same byproduct of cyanide, why did Glock switch?

At this time, I'm not convinced that they have. However, that said, both the Melonite and Tenifer processes develop small amounts of cyanide and cyanate in the nitriding salt bath as the process is performed. The cyanide and cyanate are important to the reactions that take place in the salt bath as the medium interacts with the surfaces of the ferritic materials being processed. The compound layer of nitride is formed, and a diffusion zone made up of carbon and nitrogen components is immediately beneath. Once the process cycle is completed, the parts are removed from the nitride bath and immersed in a second oxidizing salt bath that chemically destroys the cyanide and cyanate. Subsequent to immersion in the oxidizing bath, the parts are removed and cooled in water to near room temperature, followed by washing to remove salt residues.

With proper immersion of the parts in the oxidizing bath, cyanide and cyanate by-products are destroyed. Analyzing the wash water will reveal that free cyanide is not present. If both processes are performed correctly, Glock should not have significant concerns with cyanide being present on the parts they surface treat after they are FNC processed.

My direct familiarity with the salt bath FNC processes noted is limited to the Melonite, as we perform said process in our company, which is involved in commercial heat treating.

Greg

Morris 10-05-2012 11:55

The USA "tennifer" is indeed different than the Austria "tennifer." It came down to the EPA which would not grant US the various certificates to use the same materials. Hence, US had to fine a like and very close product that met the EPA.

This was a detailed topic in an armorer's class nearly three years ago. Gwdex writes up some of what Glock USA dealt with, in dealing with the EPA.

9mm +p+ 10-05-2012 12:42

Yet another reason to find older Glocks...

SJ 40 10-05-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ (Post 19488200)
Yet another reason to find older Glocks...

I can't won't argue that. SJ 40

cowboywannabe 10-05-2012 14:59

as long as it doesnt rust......

Raleigh Glocker 10-05-2012 17:05

It's not like Tenifer Glocks are the only pistols that are resistant to rust. If the new Glocks are experiencing spot rusting, then Glock picked the wrong thing to replace Tenifer (if not truly Melonite) or needs to get better at Melonite.

However, I would not care a hoot whether I got a gun finished properly with Tenifer or with Melonite.