Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Loaded Magazine Debate (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446109)

ContractSoldier 10-04-2012 00:06

Loaded Magazine Debate

The purpose of this thread is to see what everyone's view's are on the different schools of thought when it comes to wear on the magazine spring when leaving magazines loaded for self defense.

On one side, there are those who state that leaving the magazine fully loaded all of the time, wears the spring out faster and the magazines should be empty and rotated from mag to mag.

On the other side are those who state that the consistent loading and unloading of magazines will, overtime, wear the magazine spring worse then if you would just leave them always loaded, there for they should be kept loaded at all times.

Then there's the middle of the road side, that state that you can keep the magazines always loaded, just keep two rounds out of the magazine (13 rounds in a 15 round magazine) to be easier on the spring.

I personally keep one 15 round magazine loaded with 13 rounds, loaded at all times for my Beretta M9. So what do you think and what do you do?

countrygun 10-04-2012 00:42

I'll just make it as simple as I can.

I have shot magazines that I loaded new and stored for years after moving and they worked fine. I have shot magazines that have deen stored for probably decades and as long as there was no rust they worked fine.

I have worn out mag springs in less than 2 years using them as range mags.

That tells me something.

NeverMore1701 10-04-2012 01:12

There's not really any debate on how springs work.

AK_Stick 10-04-2012 01:22

Leaving a magazine loaded, even for extended periods of time, shouldn't adversely effect the magazine.

That said, M9 mags, seem to be POS and require continual/often cleaning/maintenance.

I've had glock and H&K pistol mags loaded for years with no issues. I would never try that with my M-9. I clean its mags once a week, and verify function.

NeverMore1701 10-04-2012 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 19483838)
Leaving a magazine loaded, even for extended periods of time, shouldn't adversely effect the magazine.

That said, M9 mags, seem to be POS and require continual/often cleaning/maintenance.

I've had glock and H&K pistol mags loaded for years with no issues. I would never try that with my M-9. I clean its mags once a week, and verify function.

What brands? My factory and Mec-Gars have been 100% for up to 2 years.

12131 10-04-2012 02:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 (Post 19483848)
What brands? My factory and Mec-Gars have been 100% for up to 2 years.

He's probably talking about the Check Mate mags.
Mec-Gar mags are the best. Until someone makes aftermarket mags that can sing for me, I'm sticking with Mec-Gar.

M&P15T 10-04-2012 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 (Post 19483836)

Or wear out.

No debate what-so-ever.

Repeated cycling through their compression range is what wears them out.

To believe anything else is igonorant.

larson1122 10-04-2012 02:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 (Post 19483836)

Exactly. Load em up and don't worry about it.

OP, here's a thread from a few days ago that might be of interest. As you could imagine people will never be able to agree on this subject.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1445436

M&P15T 10-04-2012 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 19483838)

M9 mags would not be any different than any other mags. It's just that mags in the Military are far more heavily used, so they wear out much faster.

Cleaning mags (loading and unloading them repeatedly) is only increasing the wear on the springs. You're doing more harm than good.

NEOH212 10-04-2012 03:15

Using them wears the spring and to a lesser extent, everything else.

Leaving them loaded doesn't hurt anything. I've left mags loaded for years and never had one issue when I used them after.

If your worried about it, leave one less round in your mags or rotate them on a regular basis. I don't see any need to do that though.

NEOH212 10-04-2012 03:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19483880)
M9 mags would not be any different than any other mags. It's just that mags in the Military are far more heavily used, so they wear out much faster.

Cleaning mags (loading and unloading them repeatedly) is only increasing the wear on the springs. You're doing more harm than good.

+1 on that!

:thumbsup::agree:

12131 10-04-2012 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19483919)
Using them wears the spring and to a lesser extent, everything else.

Leaving them loaded doesn't hurt anything. I've left mags loaded for years and never had one issue when I used them after.

If your worried about it, leave one less round in your mags or rotate them on a regular basis. I don't see any need to do that though.

Edited for you.:supergrin:

NEOH212 10-04-2012 04:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12131 (Post 19483922)
Edited for you.:supergrin:

Did you by chance read the part you edited out where I said I wouldn't bother with that?

Apparently not.

It helps to read the post completely BEFORE posting a response.

Your welcome.

:wavey:

NEOH212 10-04-2012 04:07

Not to mention that you completely missed the point.

(Why am I not surprised....:whistling:)

Bruce M 10-04-2012 06:27

My limited experience suggests that if a magazine is used regularly it will give ample warning that the spring is getting weaker.

AK_Stick 10-04-2012 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19483880)

Cleaning M-9 mags regularly, is the only way to ensure that you'll have a fire able sidearm when you need it.

I've had that issue with Mec-Gar, Beretta and Checkmate, and although the Checkmate's were the worst, and the new "sand modified" Beretta's the best, it has something to do with the design of the M-9 magazine, because every one of the magazines I own, and have carried on deployment have exhibited that behavior at one time or another.

M&P15T 10-04-2012 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 19484233)
Cleaning M-9 mags regularly, is the only way to ensure that you'll have a fire able sidearm when you need it.

I've had that issue with Mec-Gar, Beretta and Checkmate, and although the Checkmate's were the worst, and the new "sand modified" Beretta's the best, it has something to do with the design of the M-9 magazine, because every one of the magazines I own, and have carried on deployment have exhibited that behavior at one time or another.

Are you talking about sidearms you carried while deployed to the Middle East?

samuse 10-04-2012 08:09

I would never even load a mag to it's full capacity. At least download by two or three rounds.

I also never leave my magazines loaded for any longer than possible. Like when I'm at a match, I unload all of my magazines between stages and only load the magazines I'm going to use when I'm on deck.

If I'm just at the range practicing, I only load two rounds in a magazine at a time, but I only shoot one round. This keeps the tension on the spring at a minimum and prevents follower wear.

As soon as I get done shooting I fully disassemble all of my magazines, clean them with q-tips and store the springs completely relaxed.

M&P15T 10-04-2012 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuse (Post 19484315)
I would never even load a mag to it's full capacity. At least download by two or three rounds.

I also never leave my magazines loaded for any longer than possible. Like when I'm at a match, I unload all of my magazines between stages and only load the magazines I'm going to use when I'm on deck.

If I'm just at the range practicing, I only load two rounds in a magazine at a time, but I only shoot one round. This keeps the tension on the spring at a minimum and prevents follower wear.

As soon as I get done shooting I fully disassemble all of my magazines, clean them with q-tips and store the springs completely relaxed.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I send my mag springs to day spas, so they can relax in total comfort, rejuvenating themselves.

40frank 10-04-2012 08:24

I always leave them fully loaded. The only mags I ever had problems with were the ones that I use for the range that get loaded and unloaded quite a bit. In the back of my safe, I found a Glock mag that was loaded for a few years. I took it to the range and it was flawless. Leaving them loaded does not weaken the spring; constantly loading and unloading will.