Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445953)

Nalapombu 10-03-2012 03:28

If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get?

Hey all,

After looking at several tablets this evening at Best Buy I wondered what is coming at the end of the year and beginning of next year and whether the Microsoft Surface Tablet would make a splash at all and become a MAJOR player in the Tablet world or would the IPAD continue to DOMINATE with no let off on demand.

What do you all think?

If you were going to predict, what features do you think will be on the next generations of tablets or what will the next wave of tabs will look like.
Will the intro of Windows 8 make any difference in tablet design and functionality?

Do you think there will be tablets that have a Windows Explorer type capability where the user can access the folders, move and manipulate their files as they choose?

I'd like to hear what you think about what might be coming and what tablet you would buy right now and why.

I have one of the original Kindle fire tablets. It's a pretty nice little machine, especially for reading. You can't beat being able to take as many books with you as you could possibly read in a year and even more. I might try and pick up one of their new Fire HD models that has the bigger 8.9 inch display.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Nalajr

Bruce H 10-03-2012 04:50

Big Chief.:whistling:

tcruse 10-03-2012 05:00

I would wait to see how good the windows 8 tablets perform. If you get one with x86/64 processor you will be ale to run all of your usual desktop applications as well as the "metro" stuff. Windows 8 is a little different but runs the current win 7 software without any difficulty and is somewhat faster on same hardware (due to less graphics requirements). Most users will find it to work fine. Enterprise users tha have server 2008 hyper-v admin requirements will not be so happy

Lowjiber 10-03-2012 05:32

iPad.

Since Vista, Microsoft has totally dropped the ball when it comes of operating systems...IMHO.

Gallium 10-03-2012 05:33

...don't put too much thought into this stuff. Purchases are decided on at a whim, or with a minimal of thought regurgitation.

coqui33 10-03-2012 05:37

Hardware: Something with a pop-out keyboard, like the ASUS slider.

Software: Free, open-source Android, which is developing by leaps and bounds.

AtlantaR6 10-03-2012 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowjiber (Post 19479988)
iPad.

Since Vista, Microsoft has totally dropped the ball when it comes of operating systems...IMHO.

Windows 7 is the best OS they have ever made.

I would also wait for Win 8. I have a gen 2 iPad and the Galaxy Note 10.1. Neither of them is all I want it to be, which is a laptop replacement.

I think the future will include dock able like the Asus Transformer, the ability to truly run Office apps, and dual boot Windows and Android.

SGT HATRED 10-03-2012 06:00

Tablets are pointless. Get a small laptop with a cd/dvd drive. Tablets can only do 1/10 of a laptop and often cost more.

YamahaBlue 10-03-2012 06:10

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in December because I really liked the size versus the 10" tablets that were out. Having used it since and the fact that I have an iPhone, I would wait another month or so and get the iPad Mini. Not a fan of Android at all, very unstable.

HexHead 10-03-2012 06:12

iPad. It's the only mature platform.

HexHead 10-03-2012 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT HATRED (Post 19480037)
Tablets are pointless. Get a small laptop with a cd/dvd drive. Tablets can only do 1/10 of a laptop and often cost more.

Nonsense. The HD on my MacBook crashed 2 years ago and I've had no need to repair it. My iPad does all I need and that includes for my business as well.

syntaxerrorsix 10-03-2012 06:25

If was forced to use a touchscreen for all my computing needs I'd lose my mind. If I have to hook a keyboard up to a tablet to get it to perform so that I can type at passable speeds I'm going to buy a net/laptop. No way a touchscreen tablet without a file structure and the ability to easily transfer and save data will replace a real computer for the majority of users any time soon.

HexHead 10-03-2012 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix (Post 19480094)
If was forced to use a touchscreen for all my computing needs I'd lose my mind.

It's all what you get used to. I bought a new iMac a few months ago, and I'm so used to typing on my iPad in landscape, I hate using the real keyboard on the IMac. Between the iOS shortcuts and the layout, I can type much faster and more accurately on my iPad than on the iMac.

NMGlocker 10-03-2012 06:45

A tablet is not a laptop and if you bought one thinking it would be a laptop replacement you didn't do your research.
Buy any 7"-10" tablet, skip they keyboard because that's like putting diamond ear rings on a pig.
A tablet is a media consumption device that is capable of light work.
They are designed for internet browsing, reading email, playing games, e-books, music and possibly reading/light editing documents.
They are for doing all this on the go, train, airplane, in the car or at the Dr's office waiting room.
I have a iPad2, Nexus7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and 10", all are great for what they were designed to do. If I need to work on the go I break out the MacBook Air, but if I want to be entertained on a 6 hour flight I use my tablet.
Go into it as an educated customer to avoid disappointment. One more time, A tablet is NOT a laptop replacement.
My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown. That's what a tablet does that laptops can't.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

hamster 10-03-2012 06:51

If I only has $200 to spend or I really wanted a smaller form factor, Nexus 7 is the only choice. I would buy no other android tablet. 100% stock 100% supported by google.

If I had $500 to spend iPad all the way. Mainly because all of the apps come first to iPad and get the updates the fastest. There are many more business class apps available for iPad as well.

cranejc 10-03-2012 07:02

iPad - several stores still have iPad 2's for $100 off, since they're last year's model. I prefer stability, reliability, fit, and finish - I've owned androids and iDevices, and Apple just does it right for me.

Jack_Pine 10-03-2012 07:06

If you are a MAC guy, get the Ipad.

If you are a MS guy (and have need for MS Office apps) I would wait and see how the Surface Pro looks/acts/performs..........

Just my .02

hamster 10-03-2012 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMGlocker (Post 19480150)
My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown.

New Mexico to DC in 45 minutes. Thats a hell of a Metro ride! :rofl:

certifiedfunds 10-03-2012 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamster (Post 19480191)
New Mexico to DC in 45 minutes. Thats a hell of a Metro ride! :rofl:

It's thanks to stimulus money.

nesnah2 10-03-2012 08:00

Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.

hamster 10-03-2012 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesnah2 (Post 19480328)
Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4 Android Jelly Bean (4.1, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.

Fixed it for you.

BTW:

syntaxerrorsix 10-03-2012 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by HexHead (Post 19480116)
It's all what you get used to. I bought a new iMac a few months ago, and I'm so used to typing on my iPad in landscape, I hate using the real keyboard on the IMac. Between the iOS shortcuts and the layout, I can type much faster and more accurately on my iPad than on the iMac.

I agree with that, I'm used to 55WPM on a tactile keyboard. I'd be really impressed if I find anyone that can reach that on a touch screen k/b with any degree of accuracy.

sbhaven 10-03-2012 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesnah2 (Post 19480328)
Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.

You're information about the Nexus 7 OS is wrong. Currently all N7 tablets ship with Android 4.1, aka Jelly Bean.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

drumr04 10-03-2012 09:02

I just bought an Asus Transformer tf300. I picked it up from Amazon "used" for $270 with tax. I've only been using it for a day but I really like it. Its great for chilling on the couch checking the forums or watching YouTube. I was looking at the tf700 at ~$460 but I couldn't justify the extra money for a metal case, slightly faster CPU, and higher res screen.

Viper16 10-03-2012 09:06

iPad. I know alot of you are apple haters, but the large catalog, fan base, and support blows all the others away. You will 9 times out of 10 always see a release of application for the iPad first followed by the android market.

Do not expect to replace your laptop and people who think they can with the "right" tablet is kidding themselves. IF you require a keyboard or windows based then a small netbook might be the better option.

I use my tablet everyday for 1-2 hours. I have begun to use it in the work field. My sister, a Federal Probate officer, is issued am IPad as their "laptop" and have apps for access to everything, so they can work anywhere.