Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Home Invasion with Rifle (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445777)

LoadToadBoss 10-02-2012 05:42

Home Invasion with Rifle

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...yssey=nav|head
The article does not say what type of rifle was used, but one of the local TV news stations reported that it was an AR-15.

So what's your plan to defend yourself against a bad guy busting into your home using an AR-15 or similar sporting rifle?

BTW, Shreveport has had a rash of home invasions this year. I'm glad I live across the river in Bossier City.

Hyksos 10-02-2012 05:45

Saiga 12 > rifle in a home defense situation I would believe.

deputy tom 10-02-2012 05:52

The perps probably used a marlin 60 with a broken stock = AK/AR/machine gun in the eyes of the media. 12 ga shotgun or G17 would be my answer to the threat. Whichever one is closer.YMMV. tom.:cool:

kiole 10-02-2012 06:10

Hope it's an Olympic arms or other third tier AR15 because according to the internet they won't work.

Clutch Cargo 10-02-2012 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss (Post 19476835)
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...yssey=nav|head
The article does not say what type of rifle was used, but one of the local TV news stations reported that it was an AR-15.

So what's your plan to defend yourself against a bad guy busting into your home using an AR-15 or similar sporting rifle?

BTW, Shreveport has had a rash of home invasions this year. I'm glad I live across the river in Bossier City.

Doesn't Jerry Miculek live in Shreveport? The BG would be in for his worst nightmare in Jerry's home.

John Rambo 10-02-2012 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss (Post 19476835)

Shoot mine first. Shoot mine better. Shoot mine more.

Brucev 10-02-2012 07:04

If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.

SGT HATRED 10-02-2012 07:10

I would say my best advantage is knowing the lay of the land. With that in mind my home defense plan is to wait at the top of the stairs around a 90 corner with my benelli m3. No one else in the house on the lower levels. Hopefully the dog and alarm will provide sufficient notice of the invasion.

Aahzz 10-02-2012 07:11

Same as with any home invasion - my M&P Shield is in the pocket of my "lounging round the house" shorts at all times. I will do what I can as fast as I can make the split second decision to both get my kids and Mrs Aahzz out of the way while providing cover/return fire/etc. There are plans in place, but it largely depends on where Mrs Aahzz and the kids are in the house at the time.

Longtooths 10-02-2012 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by deputy tom (Post 19476858)
The perps probably used a marlin 60 with a broken stock = AK/AR/machine gun in the eyes of the media. :cool:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No doubt!

Clutch Cargo 10-02-2012 07:13

Cameras and alarms would allow for an ambush. I'm sure an ambush is illegal, but if the BG came in while you were practicing home invasion drills....:whistling:

Bruce M 10-02-2012 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucev (Post 19477014)

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.

I concur that a good really strong door will do a much better job of allowing one to potentially prevail in a home invasion than any specific choice of firearm. That and avoiding drugs and associations with criminals/gang members.

Altaris 10-02-2012 07:55

A rifle would not change my response at all. You break into my home with any type of weapon, and I will do the same response which is using mine first(most likely pistol since it is always next to me).

Bren 10-02-2012 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo (Post 19477048)
Cameras and alarms would allow for an ambush. I'm sure an ambush is illegal, but if the BG came in while you were practicing home invasion drills....:whistling:

Best I can figure, an ambush would only be illegal in a state that has a "duty to retreat" since you could have retreated instead of waiting. I doubt if most states require you to retreat from your own home.

Here, ambush is allowed. A recent example: 92-year-old WWII vet not charged after killing home intruder

Quote:

Jones told The Kentucky Enquirer he heard a noise in his basement around 2 a.m. Monday and grabbed his .22-caliber rifle. He sat in a chair with a clear view of the door, saying he fired when the intruder burst in.

"I aimed right for his heart," said Jones, who served in the military from 1941 through 1946.

fwm 10-02-2012 19:21

Quote:

If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.

As I read this, I am indeed comforted by the pistol residing in my shorts. I have lived in places in the past that taught me no place is safe if you don't make it safe.

gatorboy 10-02-2012 20:25

First is to avoid drugs and scumbags, live in a decent neighborhood.

Second tier is having sound barrier doors and windows with proper lighting and security. A sign announcing video and audio recording (whether there or not) won't hurt.

Multiple trained dogs and never doing anything without a firearm of some sort is the second tier of my plan.

Main thing is have garage door shut as much as possible. Most untargeted home invasions are homes in nice areas with garage door left open - day or night. If you have nice stuff and people such as landscape crews, pool guys, cable, electricians see something while working; they may come back.

TBO 10-02-2012 20:37

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Duct-tape.jpg

Plus

http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/images/trauma-plate.jpg

concretefuzzynuts 10-02-2012 20:40

!2 ga, 00 buck. I think that trumps an AR in home range.

Wasatch 10-02-2012 20:42

Quote:

This is a good reason to keep your gun on your person while in your home.

I seldom do this anymore, but it's no less a good idea.

jp3975 10-02-2012 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo (Post 19476956)
Doesn't Jerry Miculek live in Shreveport? The BG would be in for his worst nightmare in Jerry's home.

He lives in Princeton...about 20 miles or so East of Shreveport.

And yeah...I wouldnt want to break into a world record holder for shooting fast.

NeverMore1701 10-02-2012 20:55

No different than any harmed home invasion. Shoot first, shoot accurately, and hope for the best.

fwm 10-03-2012 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorboy (Post 19479304)
First is to avoid drugs and scumbags, live in a decent neighborhood.

As often as the cops raid the wrong house, criminals do it far more often. Avoiding drugs and scumbags is a false sense of security, as they can come for you, even if it is through stupidity.

Example. I live at: ABC Liberty Road. (Fake address)
Another fellow with the same first and last name lived at:
ABC Liberty Street.(Similar Fake address)

I got his motorcycle insurance bills, doctor bills, tax refund checks, and when he died a lot of sympathy cards. If he had a bad drug deal go down, I could very well have been attacked in the middle of the night with no warning.

It can happen.

And in my world, decent neighborhoods are what DRAW criminals to the area. More to steal than in bad neighborhoods.

Bruce M 10-03-2012 09:27

:rofl::rofl:

certifiedfunds 10-03-2012 09:31

Quote:

Agreed.

If a man enters your house with a rifle and has the element of surprise your goose is cooked in most cases. That said, I'd like a shotgun if its a situation where I actually have time to take defensive measures.

certifiedfunds 10-03-2012 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasatch (Post 19479363)
This is a good reason to keep your gun on your person while in your home.

I seldom do this anymore, but it's no less a good idea.

It is so damned inconvenient though. At some point you have to do a risk assessment and make some judgement calls. For me, that means I am just a few steps away from a gun anywhere in my house, but I'm not carrying here.

I do know someone that was killed recently in his home and his stashed handgun was untouched, though there are some indications it may have been a professional hit.