Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heckler & Koch Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   HK45 Grip Circumference (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445689)

Tophatter 10-01-2012 15:44

HK45 Grip Circumference

I'm about to commit blasphemy and sell my HK45C. Not because the pistol is in any way bad, or an underperformer, but simply because I have remarkably short fingers - fingers an eight year-old girl would laugh at - and, while the SA trigger reach on it's easy enough to manage, the DA isn't. Even with the SA, there's something about the grip geometry that eats the top of my strong side thumb. Gun just doesn't fit me.

That said, the P30 feels like a dream. I never thought I'd find a more comfortable gun for my uniquely unfortunate hand/finger size than a 1911, but it turns out the P30, if not actually exceeding it, at least equals it. Since the full-size HK45 has essentially the same grip, just larger, I'm wondering if some kind soul could tell me how much larger it is compared to, say, a P30 and a 1911? I'd go fondle one, but nobody around here has them in stock.

NEOH212 10-04-2012 03:35

For me, I'd be all over the 45c if it had the grip of the HK 45 full size. The grip on the 45c was the deal breaker for me.

I really liked it when I handled it in the gun shop. When I fired it at the range, it was a no go. Great gun, accurate, and very controllable but I just can't grip it in live fire like I can other HK's.

What a shame since I really like that gun and was going to purchase one. I agree on the P30. A fantastic grip on a fantastic gun!

barth 10-05-2012 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19483935)
For me, I'd be all over the 45c if it had the grip of the HK 45 full size. The grip on the 45c was the deal breaker for me.

I really liked it when I handled it in the gun shop. When I fired it at the range, it was a no go. Great gun, accurate, and very controllable but I just can't grip it in live fire like I can other HK's.

What a shame since I really like that gun and was going to purchase one. I agree on the P30. A fantastic grip on a fantastic gun!

It's strange how a gun can feel heavenly in the hand at the gun shop.
And then not so much in live fire.
I've had the same experience with different guns.

The P30 is like that for me.
At the LGS it feels better than any gun I've ever handled.
At the range the skateboard tape thin grips don't agree with me.
Granted I haven't tried all the various side and back grip panels.
Tried four or five sleeves and settled on Hogue.
Now I shoot well with her.
But the guns right on the edge of too big and thick to carry comfortably.
Added a Surefire X300 and will use her for home defense.

Then there is the P2K that feels average in the hand at the LGS.
But with a Hogue grip sleeve she feels and shoots outstanding at the range.
Even though the P30 and P2K are very similar in size.
I find carrying the P2K much more pleasurable.
Natural pointing and perfect balance I had to get two!

It's funny how things work out...

Tophatter 10-05-2012 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19483935)

How's the full-size HK45 grip compare in size to the P30? The P30 with a small backstrap and small right palmswell is perfect for me, and while I don't want to give up on HK's 45s, I doubt anything they make will come close to that circumference. The HK45C definitely doesn't, and I can't imagine the full-size is any thinner.

Wish I could find out, but full-size HK45s are as rare as honest politicians around here.

barth 10-05-2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tophatter (Post 19487835)
How's the full-size HK45 grip compare in size to the P30? The P30 with a small backstrap and small right palmswell is perfect for me, and while I don't want to give up on HK's 45s, I doubt anything they make will come close to that circumference. The HK45C definitely doesn't, and I can't imagine the full-size is any thinner.

Wish I could find out, but full-size HK45s are as rare as honest politicians around here.

I've got a bad habit of buying the guns I pick up and hold.
Since I've bought three HKs in six weeks I'm trying real hard to just look for a while.

Happened to be eyeing a HK45c and a full size HK45 in the case about an hour ago. It's hard to believe how much smaller and better shaped the P30 like full size HK45 grips are.

The difference between HK45c and HK45 grips is major.
Even just to look at.

Tophatter 10-05-2012 12:46

Well, damnit, I may just have to get one. I was planning on just selling off the 45C and sticking with 9MM HKs - and maybe, I'll admit, a Glock 19 - but the 45C, despite fitting me like crap, was one soft-shooting son of a gun. If the HK45 fits better...

barth 10-05-2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tophatter (Post 19488211)
Well, damnit, I may just have to get one. I was planning on just selling off the 45C and sticking with 9MM HKs - and maybe, I'll admit, a Glock 19 - but the 45C, despite fitting me like crap, was one soft-shooting son of a gun. If the HK45 fits better...

I have a P30 40 and used to have a USP 45 compact.
The full size HK45 grips look just like my P30 only a little bigger.
I can just about guarantee the HK45 grips will feel like an entirely different gun from the HK45c.

NEOH212 10-06-2012 03:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tophatter (Post 19487835)

It's a completely different grip. The full size HK 45 feels great in my hands and I have small hands. The grip on the HK 45 compact is more akin to the P2000 in my opinion. I still find the P2000 more comfortable than the 45c and I shoot it better. (Strange I know.)

To me, the full size feels thinner. The only explanation I can come up with for that is the different contour of the grip and where my hand sits on the gun. I guess it's a individual thing. When I first looked at the HK 45 I didn't think I would like the grip and that it would be too big for me. Man was I wrong! The HK 45 became my daily carry very rapidly following my first few range sessions with it.

For me to switch away from my prized and beloved 229 .40 Sig, that says alot!

:wavey:

NEOH212 10-06-2012 03:08

As for how the grip on the P30 compares to the HK 45....

To me, I can make the P30 fit me exactly the way I want it to. The HK 45 already fits me the way I want it to. It's just a little bit of a longer trigger reach than the P30 but no where near enough to be a problem.

I don't think there is much of a difference in the actual grip feel between the two guns when I have them configured to fit me.

So it's really a toss up if anything!

NEOH212 10-06-2012 03:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by barth (Post 19487332)
It's strange how a gun can feel heavenly in the hand at the gun shop.
And then not so much in live fire.
I've had the same experience with different guns.

The P30 is like that for me.
At the LGS it feels better than any gun I've ever handled.
At the range the skateboard tape thin grips don't agree with me.
Granted I haven't tried all the various side and back grip panels.
Tried four or five sleeves and settled on Hogue.
Now I shoot well with her.
But the guns right on the edge of too big and thick to carry comfortably.
Added a Surefire X300 and will use her for home defense.

Then there is the P2K that feels average in the hand at the LGS.
But with a Hogue grip sleeve she feels and shoots outstanding at the range.
Even though the P30 and P2K are very similar in size.
I find carrying the P2K much more pleasurable.
Natural pointing and perfect balance I had to get two!

It's funny how things work out...

It is a crazy thing for sure! I don't know how many guns I've bought and sold over the years because of this. (I can't keep track but I can tell you it's been more than I want to think about! :crying:)

That is why I try to shoot someone else's gun of the same type and caliber that I'm interested in before I purchase it. It saves me me alot of time, money, and grief!

dpadams6 10-06-2012 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19490034)
It's a completely different grip. The full size HK 45 feels great in my hands and I have small hands. The grip on the HK 45 compact is more akin to the P2000 in my opinion. I still find the P2000 more comfortable than the 45c and I shoot it better. (Strange I know.)

To me, the full size feels thinner. The only explanation I can come up with for that is the different contour of the grip and where my hand sits on the gun. I guess it's a individual thing. When I first looked at the HK 45 I didn't think I would like the grip and that it would be too big for me. Man was I wrong! The HK 45 became my daily carry very rapidly following my first few range sessions with it.

For me to switch away from my prized and beloved 229 .40 Sig, that says alot!

:wavey:

I'm with ya on the p229. Ive had one in 357sig for a long time. Wouldn't even consider another make. Until these damn hk's. Bought a p30 and p2000. Now my 229 sits lonely in the safe. I think about taking her out and carrying her, but cant bring myself to part with my hk's for the day. Is that crazy?

Tophatter 10-06-2012 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19490035)

To me, I can make the P30 fit me exactly the way I want it to. The HK 45 already fits me the way I want it to. It's just a little bit of a longer trigger reach than the P30 but no where near enough to be a problem.

I don't think there is much of a difference in the actual grip feel between the two guns when I have them configured to fit me.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, it confirms I need to find one to fondle before pulling the trigger, so to speak, on a purchase. "Longer trigger reach than the P30" is what does it. I knew, of course, it had to have longer trigger reach than the P30 - it's a .45, after all - but I was hoping someone would tell me HK found a way to bend the space-time continuum or something.

With my stubby little fingers, anything much longer than the P30 gets dicey.

barth 10-06-2012 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19490035)

+1
I own a P30 40 and just handled a HK45 today at the LGS.
The P30 and HK45 grips are scary close.
I was really surprised.

barth 10-06-2012 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpadams6 (Post 19490146)
I'm with ya on the p229. Ive had one in 357sig for a long time. Wouldn't even consider another make. Until these damn hk's. Bought a p30 and p2000. Now my 229 sits lonely in the safe. I think about taking her out and carrying her, but cant bring myself to part with my hk's for the day. Is that crazy?

What's crazy?
I love my HKs so much.
And I love the 357 Sig caliber so much.
That when I found my perfect carry gun, a P2K 357 Sig LEM.

I had to buy two!!!

I'm not sure I'm the guy to answer crazy questions...

Tophatter 10-08-2012 14:24

Managed to track down a range with an HK45 for rent today.

It took me about ten rounds to determine the HK45C is getting sold and the HK45 is getting bought, pronto. Jebus, that thing's amazing.