Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   XD - durability/repairability/parts availability (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445560)

grayi6 09-30-2012 18:48

XD - durability/repairability/parts availability

Starting to investigate XD's and have done quite a bit of reading. I am a huge fan of the grip safety. A few things come to mind that I was hoping I could get some feedback on. My hope would be to buy, leave totally stock, and keep for very very long time.

1) is XD now considered to be on par with the industry's best for long term durability, reliability, and ruggedness?

2) is difficulty of detailed stripping a consideration?

3) is availability of repair parts and ease of repair an issue that would keep you from purchasing?

thank you

bac1023 09-30-2012 20:32

Just as durable as Glock

Parts availability is good, but aftermarket parts are still not as widely available as they are for Glocks.

samuse 09-30-2012 20:39

If you like it shoot it.

I've seen quite a few 9mm XDs and I don't recall ever seeing one with problems.

I don't know how to detail strip one.

Springfield has great warranty/customer service.

ETA: Don't ask about 'em on M4carbine, they don't like 'em over there.

countrygun 09-30-2012 21:09

20 months with an XDm .45 and having a ball with it. If I needed another auto loader (I already have the calibers covered with guns I like)or if they made it in 10mm, I'd have more than one for sure.

ksmedman 09-30-2012 21:28

Proud owner of an XD45 tactical (5" version) for over two years now. Probably around 2200 rounds so far.
Not immense, but enough to know it's a well made pistol.
No issues at all. In fact I've never had any kind of failure, no FTF, FTE, nothing. Even crap ammo, cast lead reloads, etc... feed and fire reliably.

Technically, it's been more reliable than my G19, though I in no way feel like my Glock is in any way unreliable. Just had a couple FTE's in the first 100. I love my Glock.

I will say that the striker retainer roll pin on my XD will move about 1/64th? "out" of the slide after a couple hundred rounds, just enough to feel the difference. Pushes right back in though, and never effects performance.
I imagine at some point it may work loose. or break, or whatever. Simple part to stock and replace fortunately.

XD's are a great value. I like the bore axis on Glock's better, and the XD's are heavier for the same stats, but I would never feel like I had a second class firearm with an XD. JMHO, etc...

grayi6 10-01-2012 19:40

Thank you for the input.

40frank 10-02-2012 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 19472595)
Just as durable as Glock

Parts availability is good, but aftermarket parts are still not as widely available as they are for Glocks.

I hate to bring this up, but I would like your opinion on it. What do you think of the reports of the striker retainer pin breakage? I have heard it was from dry firing without snap caps. However, unless I am mistaken, you have to dry fire to field strip. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

deputy tom 10-02-2012 14:24

I'm a huge fan of XD's. The .45 fits my hands better than a Glock 9mm. I know SA has excellent CS but only needed to find out once ( not with an XD ). Good luck in your quest. tom.:cool:

Dawolf 10-02-2012 20:52

I love my XD Duty in 357. It has been very reliable for the past year. I lost count of how many rounds (good thing I have gotten the hang of reloading it).