Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   tumbler or vibrator case cleaner ? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445537)

cajun_chooter 09-30-2012 15:53

tumbler or vibrator case cleaner ?

thought i would poll the vast knowledge of this board members which case cleaner they preferred...
tumbler versus vibrator ? and may i ask why ?

F106 Fan 09-30-2012 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajun_chooter (Post 19471832)
thought i would poll the vast knowledge of this board members which case cleaner they preferred...
tumbler versus vibrator ? and may i ask why ?

I used the Thumbler Tumbler for many years and it worked well. The motor burned up so I was in the market for something else.

I wanted more capacity so I went with the Dillon large vibratory cleaner.

The tumbler has the advantage that you can use wet media. Some folks do some of that, I'm not one of them.

Either works...

Richard

SARDG 09-30-2012 18:51

You didn't ask about ultrasonic! No love for ultrasonic??

njl 09-30-2012 19:05

AFAIK, vibratory is cheaper, faster, and thus more commonly used. A true tumbler can generally handle wet media...and there have been some people who've posted really stunning looking cleaned brass using a tumbler, stainless steel pin media, water, and some "cleanser". But then you have to deal with drying wet brass.

RWE 09-30-2012 21:42

I bought one from Harbor Freight years ago. Laugh if you want but I have run thousands of cases through it and it is still going strong. Even took a dive off the bench and ran sideways on the floor a while. If interested, be sure together the 20% off coupon off their web site or magazine ads.

If you look close at all the vibratory cleaners, they start to look an aweful lot alike... some may even be the same, just different colors.

The stainless steel pin cleaners are making me look though!

vafish 10-01-2012 06:24

Still using my Lyman turbo tumbler I got as a Christmas gift 30 years ago.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dkf 10-01-2012 06:30

Have a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Auto Flo. Also bought a non auto flo spare bowl. It is a vibratory tumbler.

unclebob 10-01-2012 07:07

After owning both. My vote goes for the vibrator types. But if I wanted to wet clean I would go with the RCBS Sidewinder.
I just think the vibrator does a better job of cleaning the brass. And less trouble.

Arc Angel 10-01-2012 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebob (Post 19473539)
After owning both. My vote goes for the vibrator types. But if I wanted to wet clean I would go with the RCBS Sidewinder. I just think the vibrator does a better job of cleaning the brass. And less trouble.

:thumbsup: I'm with Bob!

(A vibrator is quieter, too) ;)

ron59 10-01-2012 09:07

I have a Cabela's vibratory one I bought in 2009 that has lasted well. I've tumbled an easy 50,000 cases, it's still going strong. Easy, no mess. Definitely gets the cases clean.

No way would I wanna mess with a liquid media, gotta drain it, dry the brass.... believe me, a vibratory one with corncob or crushed walnut gets the brass sufficiently clean and shiny with less muss/fuss. And is cheaper. I think I paid $50 for mine as a kit (tumbler, media, polish) from Cabelas.

Right this second, the have the tumbler plus the kit, for the same price as just the tumbler:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Model-400-Vibratory-Case-Tumbler-Kit/731769.uts
It's a $15 savings.

(tumbler alone).
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ler/731767.uts

EDIT! For some reason, that first link (although different, see the number at the end) is taking me to the same place as the second link. But if you look around... they have the kit for the same price. One box of media and some polish too.

Boxerglocker 10-01-2012 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron59 (Post 19473817)
No way would I wanna mess with a liquid media, gotta drain it, dry the brass.... believe me, a vibratory one with corncob or crushed walnut gets the brass sufficiently clean and shiny with less muss/fuss. And is cheaper. I think I paid $50 for mine as a kit (tumbler, media, polish) from Cabelas.

I used to strongly agree but have been leaning toward getting a stainless steel Thumler set-up as of late. I've been testing .223 heavy bullets with year sorted LC brass and found that ranges over 400 yards. Consistency is key. Cleaning primer pockets and have clean inside necks for consistent neck tension does indeed make a difference. I just got several hundred pieces of Lapua brass for my bolt gun and want to all I can to get my loads perfect.
Standard .223 AR loads and pistol though, I'll stick with corncob :cool:

F106 Fan 10-01-2012 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxerglocker (Post 19473905)
I used to strongly agree but have been leaning toward getting a stainless steel Thumler set-up as of late. I've been testing .223 heavy bullets with year sorted LC brass and found that ranges over 400 yards. Consistency is key. Cleaning primer pockets and have clean inside necks for consistent neck tension does indeed make a difference. I just got several hundred pieces of Lapua brass for my bolt gun and want to all I can to get my loads perfect.
Standard .223 AR loads and pistol though, I'll stick with corncob :cool:

Keep us up to date on this. If it actually works, I will give up my Hornady Case Prep machine and try the wet tumbling.

I'm just about at the point where I may start shooting over on the 600 and 1000 yard course. I have no great expectations at 1000 yards.

Richard

noway 10-01-2012 11:50

Frankford Arsenal for me. Been going strong for 6 plus years.

sciolist 10-01-2012 13:38

For volume handgun shooting, definitely vibratory.

SCmasterblaster 10-01-2012 16:40

Get a vibe

from Dillon Precision. :supergrin:

shotgunred 10-01-2012 17:27

I have had a Dillon CV500 for over 15 years. The motor finally died last month. $104 to upgrade my Dillon CV500 and I have to send it to them or $144 for a new CV750. I wonder if there are any after market sources for the motor.

dkf 10-01-2012 17:33

Quote:

I wonder if there are any after market sources for the motor.
Probably. If you cannot get it from an industrial supply catalog somewhere you can probably source the same motor from another company that sells tumblers cheaper than Dillon. I doubt every brand tumbler is made by the same company. A company like Raytech may even make them. Pull the motor, post some pics along with any info on the motor tag.(if there is a motor tag)

jlavallee 10-04-2012 01:08

After having the stainless media and thumblers tumbler, nothing else is close. Sure you need to de-prime before but drying is no big deal and the quality is amazing with clean primer pockets and brass.

I guess for the guys that reload really high volume it may not be their cup of tea but the difference in the brass is night and day compared to vibratory or ultrasonic. Do you need that? Well, I love sparkling brass.

fredj338 10-04-2012 09:31

I've owned both, prefer a good vibrating tumbler. If you just have to have the shiniest brass on the range, then nothing will do but a tumbler & ss media.

scccdoc 10-04-2012 09:38

Two stage but fast. Ultrasonic with water , Dawn, and tablespoon of vinegar per 100 40 brass. for about 30 minutes. Shake and pat dry, then vibrate with Nu-Finish and walnut for 30 - 45 min. I also deprime first. .......... looks like new , DOC