Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   New to the ar world. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445462)

vallelbg 09-30-2012 09:02

New to the ar world.
 
Based on my budget i have it narrowed down to a s&w m&p 15 sport or a windham weaponry mpc. This is my first AR,and would like to keep it simple.

9mmmountaineer 09-30-2012 09:20

I know personally that the m&p shoots great, never shot a windham but I have the m&p Orc. I learned after I bought my carbon 15 that even though it's your first AR save that extra month or extra couple weeks and get the one you really want.

mjkeat 09-30-2012 09:25

I like the M&P's 1:8 barrel but I wouldn't shy away from either.

What's your budget for ammunition and classes? Purchasing the AR is only the beginning.

WoodenPlank 09-30-2012 09:25

Between the two, I would take the Sport. S&W (and the Sport) have an actual track record to look at in terms of quality and customer service, whereas Windham does not. Yes, I know it's mostly old Bushy employees - that does not magically mean that everything is the same as it was.

What is your budget, though? Depending on local prices, you might be able to get a better weapon than either for around the same money.

JW1178 09-30-2012 09:32

Just get a "standard" rifle and then upgrade where you want to.

mjkeat 09-30-2012 09:42

The Sport and MPC are fairly standard. What upgrades are you talking about? Your post leaves questions.

AKRover 09-30-2012 10:15

I was not new to ARs when I bought my M&P Sport as I've owned ARs in the past and been in the military. I bought my M&P Sport because I knew S&W makes quality weapons so it would be a good base to build into whatever form of an AR I decided I wanted. It has been a good rifle through about 1000 rounds so far and only malfunction was due to a magazine not fully seated. Can't blame the rifle for operator error.

Airhasz 09-30-2012 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19470669)
I like the M&P's 1:8 barrel but I wouldn't shy away from either.

What's your budget for ammunition and classes? Purchasing the AR is only the beginning.

Yeah OP, those classes will come in handy if you don't already know how to operate a safety and trigger...

Trey83 09-30-2012 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19470669)
I like the M&P's 1:8 barrel but I wouldn't shy away from either.

What's your budget for ammunition and classes? Purchasing the AR is only the beginning.

Mjkeat- you add a lot to the forums and I appreciate your input but not everybody is looking to be an operator. Not everybody is interested in attending carbine classes. :wavey:

I do agree when it comes to mags and ammo.

WoodenPlank 09-30-2012 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey83 (Post 19470991)
Mjkeat- you add a lot to the forums and I appreciate your input but not everybody is looking to be an operator. Not everybody is interested in attending carbine classes. :wavey:

I do agree when it comes to mags and ammo.

You don't have to want to be an "operator" or a Costa wanna-be to realize that taking even a basic carbine class (or suggesting someone else do the same) will go a LONG way to helping someone new to the weapon platform understand how to make that weapon run. I've seen plenty of newbies with jammed up ARs on ranges that were clueless on how to correct the problem. In some cases, that cluelessness led to unsafe situations and potential injury.

Cole125 09-30-2012 11:39

Out of your two choices M&P Sport, no question. I have not heard anything negative about them, they should be good to go.

As said above budget money for ammo and mags, your not "done" when you just buy a rifle.

A carbine class or at least getting pointers from someone who knows how to run a AR is a must, also.

mjkeat 09-30-2012 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey83 (Post 19470991)
Mjkeat- you add a lot to the forums and I appreciate your input but not everybody is looking to be an operator. Not everybody is interested in attending carbine classes. :wavey:

I do agree when it comes to mags and ammo.

This is the misconception that keeps people looking rediculous and not shooting to their potential. Like any tool you need to know how to operate it properly to see its full potential plus it's the responsible thing to do.

Seeing that the OP is new to ARs I'll leave it at that and let the rest of you muddy the waters.

Trey83 09-30-2012 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodenPlank (Post 19471018)
You don't have to want to be an "operator" or a Costa wanna-be to realize that taking even a basic carbine class (or suggesting someone else do the same) will go a LONG way to helping someone new to the weapon platform understand how to make that weapon run. I've seen plenty of newbies with jammed up ARs on ranges that were clueless on how to correct the problem. In some cases, that cluelessness led to unsafe situations and potential injury.

A responsible gun owner should do research on ANY weapon platform before they take it out for the first time. I just don't understand why every time someone says "I'm getting an AR" it immediately comes up that they need to take a course. I mean if someone says "I'm getting a Glock" everyone doesn't jump in and suggest they take a course.

I don't want to be taken out of context. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them. I am all for advancing your knowledge and proficiency in a hobby we all love. I just don't think it's a requirement before owning a rifle.

Now if it is your very first firearm in general. I would suggest taking a basic safety and handling class. :wavey:

mjkeat 09-30-2012 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodenPlank (Post 19471018)
You don't have to want to be an "operator" or a Costa wanna-be to realize that taking even a basic carbine class (or suggesting someone else do the same) will go a LONG way to helping someone new to the weapon platform understand how to make that weapon run. I've seen plenty of newbies with jammed up ARs on ranges that were clueless on how to correct the problem. In some cases, that cluelessness led to unsafe situations and potential injury.

This. The misconception I spoke of earlier. People think you start out running. You don't. Basic classes, though I find them enjoyable, can be boring at times for some. Crawl before you walk. Right? Yep.

OP, you'll be GTG w/ either AR though 1:8 twist would be my choice. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Trey83 09-30-2012 11:51

Sorry to hijack the thread. I would probably go with the sport based on its proven track record. Windham is probably going to be a great company but it's too early to be sure IMHO.

mjkeat 09-30-2012 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey83 (Post 19471170)
A responsible gun owner should do research on ANY weapon platform before they take it out for the first time. I just don't understand why every time someone says "I'm getting an AR" it immediately comes up that they need to take a course. I mean if someone says "I'm getting a Glock" everyone doesn't jump in and suggest they take a course.

I don't want to be taken out of context. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them. I am all for advancing your knowledge and proficiency in a hobby we all love. I just don't think it's a requirement before owning a rifle.

Now if it is your very first firearm in general. I would suggest taking a basic safety and handling class. :wavey:

Not all firearms are the same. A responsible firearm owner knows how to properly operate his/her firearms proficiently. It is the safest path.

Safety classes don't cover everything needed. Improper fundamentals can cause injury. The 7 fundamentals are not taught in safety classes. I watched 3 men bleed Sat. because they did not apply proper fundamentals. They were following all safety rules though.

I think we need to understand something before telling a new person it isn't needed.

K. Foster 09-30-2012 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallelbg (Post 19470592)
Based on my budget i have it narrowed down to a s&w m&p 15 sport or a windham weaponry mpc. This is my first AR,and would like to keep it simple.

Of those two, S&W. But give us more info on your budget and intended use, maybe we can recommend something else.

Hour13 09-30-2012 12:31

Oh my...

The Sport, and the debate of whether or not a carbine course is "worthwhile" in the same thread? Ooh, this should be fun.

:popcorn:




Lol, OP, the Sport is a great rifle, you'll likely not be disappointed. Like it was mentioned above, not much of a track record to go on yet with Windham. Where as with the Sport?

It's frikin Smith & Wesson. They do stand behind their gear, and the Sport is no exception.

I've had my fair share of ARs, one of which was the Sport. It was a fantastic weapon, great shooter, would trust it 110%. I have every intention of adding another one to my stash, actually regret selling my old one.

:wavey:

Airhasz 09-30-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole125 (Post 19471136)
Out of your two choices M&P Sport, no question. I have not heard anything negative about them, they should be good to go.

As said above budget money for ammo and mags, your not "done" when you just buy a rifle.

A carbine class or at least getting pointers from someone who knows how to run a AR is a must, also.

A must? I ran mine out the box with no problem. If you have had firearms saftey 101 it is not that complicated...there are a heck of a lot more complicated things in life than pushing bullets into a magazine, inserting it into the mag well (only goes in one way...class 101 has started), pull charging handle and flip lever that actually says fire on it (everyone knows what a trigger is for)! I would be surprised if someone could not figure it out unless you spent your whole life under a rock...as always ymmv...lol

Airhasz 09-30-2012 15:02

OP, before you buy a sport beware that it is missing mil spec parts (forward assist and dust cover) which KILLS the sport for me. Be informed so you don't get talked in a neutered AR without knowing...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.