Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   4 prong dryer receptacle wiring? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445373)

Hines57 09-29-2012 15:36

4 prong dryer receptacle wiring?

Red & black go to either flat prong, so does it matter which prong the bare and the white go to, D prong or L prong?

Zonny 09-29-2012 15:43

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wirin...r:26,s:0,i:154

certifiedfunds 09-29-2012 15:47

My college physics professor: "The wires do not know what color they are."

That's all I have

9jeeps 09-29-2012 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by certifiedfunds (Post 19468575)

That's all I have

And there you have the big reason Academia is in trouble:tongueout:

Trapped_in_Kali 09-29-2012 15:52

Green or bare is ground and goes to the "D" shaped one.
White is your neutral.
Red & Black are "Hot" or "Live".

devildog2067 09-29-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9jeeps (Post 19468592)
And there you have the big reason Academia is in trouble:tongueout:

You understand the wisdom of that statement the first time you work on something that someone else wired up who never learned those rules.

certifiedfunds 09-29-2012 16:12

Oh, and if you're wiring this hot keep your left hand in your pocket.

Hines57 09-29-2012 20:45

Thanks, got it. Only shocked the crap out of myself once.

CitizenOfDreams 09-29-2012 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines57 (Post 19469484)

There are situations where you have to work on a live circuit. Household receptacle installation is not one of them. Turn the breaker off. :wavey:

certifiedfunds 09-29-2012 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines57 (Post 19469484)

You took your left hand out didn't ya

DaneA 09-29-2012 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildog2067 (Post 19468632)
You understand the wisdom of that statement the first time you work on something that someone else wired up who never learned those rules.

Been there done that. I hate cleaning up someone else's mess.

Hines57 09-29-2012 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by certifiedfunds (Post 19469666)
You took your left hand out didn't ya

No I kept it in my pocket, just to get that tingly feeling all over.

No problem with the receptacle. Got a bit lit up working in the breaker panel. My project for this weekend has been putting in a new 200 amp panel. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

certifiedfunds 09-29-2012 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines57 (Post 19469740)
No I kept it in my pocket, just to get that tingly feeling all over.

No problem with the receptacle. Got a bit lit up working in the breaker panel. My project for this weekend has been putting in a new 200 amp panel. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

Someone told me about the pocket thing and I thought they were kidding till I watched an electrician work hot, then I understood it.

larry_minn 09-29-2012 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams (Post 19469629)
There are situations where you have to work on a live circuit. Household receptacle installation is not one of them. Turn the breaker off. :wavey:

In private residence when is this??? When I have hired electrical work I always offer to turn power off. (at least to that circut/but offer to kill main.)
They almost always say "no I prefer it live" About every third time they get "bit"... I always turn the dang thing off.

Kevin108 09-30-2012 00:11

Learning and Fun with High Voltage

K.Kiser 09-30-2012 08:36

Sometimes things need to stay hot to figure out how to fix some previous genius' work, not that it matters directly in said thread though... I really like laying up in a tight rock wool insulated attic balanced on joist tops with my hip bone and shoulder joint when the sun is high and the thermometer reads about 105 degrees which is about 40% less than the attic.. This is always fun when the customer asks why it's taking so long, and that we make too much $$ because the guy that used to do their electrical maintenance only charged x-amount... Love it, hugs for everyone and I'd give away free kittens if I had em'..

Heard a statistic on the news some time ago, and it stated ironically that the average person actually gets electrically shocked more than the average electrician... This is very false, I promise...

Keoking 09-30-2012 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildog2067 (Post 19468632)

I was a summer helper for a Master Electrician who cut his teeth in the Navy. He said on old ships that EVERY wire was white, to make it more difficult to reverse engineer should the enemy capture the vessel. He said that when every wire is equal, you really learn your basic principles.

certifiedfunds 09-30-2012 08:52

Neighbor's kid was apprenticing as an electrician in a ship yard. One day I ask him how work is going. He sighs and rubs his head a bit, "Well, the guy they have me working for is color blind."

:rofl:

kiole 09-30-2012 08:54

Worse shock I ever got was working on a live panel adding a 220 breaker for a welder. I couldn't shut the main off as it was inaccessible at the shop we rent. I managed to slip on the wet concrete:embarassed: and fell on the panel with my forearm across the bare panel I couldn't remove my arm for a few seconds. Luckily I was fine except the tingling feeling in my arm the rest of the day. I continued my work the rest of the breaker install was uneventful.

I do irrigation work and more then once I've had to wire the irrigation controllers on live circuits as the idiots wire them into the same breaker as a critical systems in the building.(most are medical/assisted living facilities)

Gallium 09-30-2012 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by certifiedfunds (Post 19468575)

That's all I have

Explains why you are biochem. :tongueout::supergrin::tongueout:

K.Kiser 09-30-2012 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keoking (Post 19470537)
I was a summer helper for a Master Electrician who cut his teeth in the Navy. He said on old ships that EVERY wire was white, to make it more difficult to reverse engineer should the enemy capture the vessel. He said that when every wire is equal, you really learn your basic principles.

As an electrician, I cringe at the thought of working on a project like that... It takes the term "confusing" to a new level, and the things that have to be kept straight in the noggin is nauseating... Like most trades, not all electricians are created equal and the guys that can move through a project like that in a timely budgeted fashion are definitely better than most...

Smacktard 09-30-2012 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin108 (Post 19469929)

Thank you, you may have saved my life! Now I've got to get the kids to watch.

certifiedfunds 09-30-2012 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallium (Post 19470576)
Explains why you are biochem. :tongueout::supergrin::tongueout:

:rofl: No, I was biology and chemistry. The biochem folks are actually intelligent. Pre-med track in biology overlapped chem so much that for only one more semester you could double major.

Last year in college I actually got a gig tutoring physics. I managed to actually learn some prepping for mcat. Small liberal arts college and my student was telling physics prof that I was her tutor. He responded, "Do you think that's wise?" :rofl:

stevemc 10-03-2012 03:56

Although they are bonded together at the panel, the neutral is meant to carry current and the ground is for safety only. Just because it works doesn't mean everything is alright. Installing a 200 amp. panel by a novice is hard for me to imagine it is right. Many things could be wrong. If you overloaded the neutral by having the wrong phase on the hots, you could be smelling smoke soon (does your family sleep in this house?) If you did not torque the mains right, they will become loose and heat up causing a fire hazard. Grounding, conductor size, terminations, etc. etc. But hey, at least you saved money and it wasn't as hard as you thought.

Hines57 10-06-2012 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemc (Post 19479922)
.....But hey, at least you saved money and it wasn't as hard as you thought.

True, saved a bunch of money. Besides it was a family project. My daughter helped wire it and got her electrical merit badge for Girl Scouts. I let her do the 15 & 20 amp breakers.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL369.../404164511.jpg