Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Opinion on a cheap old revolver? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444683)

CompleteNerd 09-24-2012 22:46

Opinion on a cheap old revolver?

Hey folks,

Well I suppose I was asking for this. The wife is pregnant and I'm sitting here feeling the pressure to get my CHL and a gun. I was trying to incrementally get my wife accustomed to the idea of a firearm but my timetables, of course, had to be moved up.

But with timetables moving up I'm also having to move forward without the amount of money I would like to spend.

I have been taking a very serious look at the police trade-in model 64's on J&G. $279, .38 special, basically some old beater guns ready to be abused.

So here's my question: what are your thoughts on the S&W model 64? Specifically the NY-1 version. Is this worth the money? Concealability seems like a bit of an issue here, I would love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

And to get to the Glock portion I mentioned...I haven't gotten a chance to look around too much lately, but are there any Glock options that aren't going to run me over about three hundred and fifty dollars?

Admittedly, I have pretty much come to terms with not having a Glock just yet and having to dream. Cost is a HUGE factor right now with an unexpected pregnancy, but as the future father and husband I need to figure out a way to make sure my little family is protected at all times.

Thanks guys & gals, and hopefully you all have a great day.

fnfalman 09-24-2012 22:57

It's just a fixed sight stainless steel K-frame. Nothing special, yet highly serviceable. If the gun isn't beaten to hell and fallen apart, then that price is damn good. It's not a pocket gun but with a decent belt holster, I don't see what the problem is for concealment.

janice6 09-24-2012 23:04

Good gun. simple and functional. Price is good too. I would buy it right now (for myself) at that price.

MrMurphy 09-24-2012 23:54

Agreed.

I started out shooting handguns on a Model 10 HB, very similar (4" blued K frame) and if the action isn't beaten to hell they're good shooting and soft recoiling.

A 4" K isn't the ideal CCW piece but it's certainly hideable especially in winter.

If you have someone around who knows wheelguns, have them eyeball it, check the timing and forcing cone if possible. If it's an NYPD gun, it could be totally screwed or nearly unfired.....never know.

countrygun 09-25-2012 09:59

I agree with all of the above and will add two things

IMO the Smith "K" frames like the 64 are one of the finest all around revolvers in existence.

If you are considering CCW with it, or any handgun, please do yourself a big favor. I know cash is tight but really, get yourself the best holster you can. No $15 specials. The holster makes or breaks the effectiveness and comfort of concealed carry. IMO the best holster for CCW of a 4" K is the Milt Sparks Summer special inside the waistband. I admit to not having tried all the holsters out there, but that one is kind of my gold standard. Most folks don't think of a 4" in an IWB holster but it is a very overlooked option that can work well when a bulky cover garment is out of the question.

There are a number of good outside the waistband rigs. I am partial to the "pancake style for concealment.

Make sure you have a belt that is up to it too.

I would raher carry my 4" K frame .38 (mine is a model 10) in a quality holster than one of my best expensive very accurate .45s in a cheap rig.

4 glocks 09-25-2012 11:02

S&W are good revolvers. I have seen police trade in Glocks for about $350.

Berto 09-25-2012 11:29

Low on zoot factor, but a K frame S&W .38 is still an excellent self defense handgun, about as proven as they get.

Berto 09-25-2012 11:35

Oh yeah, the NY-1 is a great shooter... but if you're new to DA revolver shooting, it will take getting used to. Once you do master DA revolver though, you'll find those skills transfer to other handguns nicely.

25yrds

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg19/...jpg&res=medium

Bruce M 09-25-2012 12:20

I agree that a K frame is a great revolver. I also think though that in some ways a Glock that might be had at 350 or a Ruger 9mm for less than 300 could be an even better deal when the ammunition cost is factored in.

G36's Rule 09-25-2012 13:01

CompleteNerd, what state are you in? You said CHL so I thought maybe Texas, but need you to clarify.

My question has a point, if you are a Texan.

CompleteNerd 09-25-2012 14:53

G36,
I'm up in Washington actually. So technically I believe I should have said CPL. A little mistake while I was trying to get my thoughts in order.

And thanks everybody, I more or less wanted to get the thoughts of the more experienced before I sprung that way. It looks like buds has model 10s for 269 right now so I may just swing that way as well.

Jason D 09-25-2012 16:54

The model 64 is one of my favorite revolvers. I have several of them all over the place.
My Detroit Police 64 is in right next to me in my desk drawn.

The model 64 is the stainless version of the model 10.
While the older model 10's with the half moon front sight are a classic. When buying a used police trade in I would go stainless every time. Light scuffs can be blended out with an eraser, and you have the corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

bac1023 09-25-2012 17:44

Good, solid revolvers for sure :)

PzGren 09-26-2012 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 19455326)
Oh yeah, the NY-1 is a great shooter... but if you're new to DA revolver shooting, it will take getting used to. Once you do master DA revolver though, you'll find those skills transfer to other handguns nicely.

25yrds

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg19/...jpg&res=medium

That is an ISSF target! Looks very familiar:cool:.

And good results from the S&W 64, that is good shooting, as expected from you.

G36's Rule 09-26-2012 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompleteNerd (Post 19455831)
G36,
I'm up in Washington actually. So technically I believe I should have said CPL. A little mistake while I was trying to get my thoughts in order.

And thanks everybody, I more or less wanted to get the thoughts of the more experienced before I sprung that way. It looks like buds has model 10s for 269 right now so I may just swing that way as well.

The reason I ask is this, if you take your CHL course in Texas with a revolver that is all you can carry. I don't know what the law is in Washington.

CajunBass 09-26-2012 08:17

Quote:

Opinion on a cheap old revolver?
There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". Model 64's are "inexpensive" right now.

And they're not old...they're experienced. :supergrin:

gunsmoke92 09-26-2012 12:12

What CajunBass said! And no offense to any one, just my opinion, but I'll take a $279 S&W 64 over a $350 + Glock every day of the week. Believe me, you can't loose with a Smith.

Wyoming 09-26-2012 20:47

"Opinion on cheap old revolvers"

The more I think about it the more it bothers me when you used the word "cheap" to describe S&W 64 revolvers. There is nothing cheap about them.

How about $280 is the least expensive quality stainless steel revolver there is that is worth owning to defend yourself and love ones?

Caver 60 09-26-2012 22:36

If you haven't already read this sticky from the top of this forum, please do so.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1049606

Taphius 09-27-2012 05:30

Summit gun broker has g22's for 349. You might be able to pull off a win on a SP2022 for ~350 off of gunbroke.

Jet guns has the lc9 for 338, sr9c for 402. Kahr CW40 for 340ish. Buds has all the PX4 pistols on sale right now but for 399, the new s&w sd pistols are quite inexpensive as well.