Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Gold Dots - 155gr or 165gr for G23 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444475)

avenues165 09-23-2012 21:07

Gold Dots - 155gr or 165gr for G23
 
So let's have your opinion, out of a 4" barrel would you run GD 155gr or GD 165gr? Why would you choose one over the other?

Also, if you wouldn't choose either, tell us what you would choose and why.

cowboy1964 09-23-2012 21:50

165, for the little extra bit of penetration.

Yankee2718 09-23-2012 23:17

155. The velocity comes in right around 1200fps, the bullet expands and penetrates well, and is only 10 grains lighter than the 165. The 165 at 1150 comes in closer to 1130. I'd probably opt for an HST or Ranger T. That being said, I did have an oh crap moment tonight at work that got me thinking. But for another post...

cowboy1964 09-24-2012 00:04

Well, the offical HST poster shows only 10" with the 155 on bare gel and 11" in heavy clothing. That's a bit shallow for my taste. The 165 gets 12-13.25"

http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf

I prefer the 180 the most. Biggest expansion, best (or tied for best) penetration and softest shooting.

All these are great choices. Given that, I think shootability and availability move up in terms of importance.

SDGlock23 09-24-2012 07:35

Tough call really, both are excellent performers. Recoil will probably be slightly easier with the 165gr and you'll like get better expansion. The 155's may do a little more damage, but probably not much more. Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

For what it's worth, some older factory 155gr Gold Dot's did around 1100 fps from my 3" Kahr CM40, and 165's (although not Gold Dots, most were about neck and neck) did about the same. For example, the 165gr Critical Defense clocked faster than the 155gr Gold Dot, even though the CD wouldn't be my first choice of the two.

Bigpoppie50 09-24-2012 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 19450294)
165, for the little extra bit of penetration.

What he said

avenues165 09-24-2012 17:57

Good responses!

cowboy1964 - Your point of shootability is a very important consideration.

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming!

Ak.Hiker 09-25-2012 00:20

For some reason the 155 grain Speer loads seem a little hotter than the 165's. However the 165 grain weight is a nice balanced load. I think I would go with the 165.

NEOH212 09-25-2012 01:43

165 GDHP for the .40 period when talking Gold Dot's.

NEOH212 09-25-2012 01:45

The 165 grain hollow point loaded to 1,150 fps when fired from a 4" barrel is a load that has really shined in this caliber.

The current Gold Dot load and the Ranger-T series load in this weight lead the pack by a narrow margin.

d123gaw 09-26-2012 00:00

I tried a box of 165gr and a box of 155gr gold dots in my gen 3 G23. One FTF with the 165 out of twenty (it seemed like the slide didn't travel back far enough to cycle fully). The 155 shot fine. Right now i'm packing 180gr gold dot cause it's all I could find.

4949shooter 09-26-2012 11:10

My Gen 2 G23 eats the 155 grain Gold dots like candy.

There is nothing wrong with the 165 grain though. It is a prominent load.

d123gaw 09-26-2012 11:15

on a similar subject. should the G23 use the short barrel GD ammo?

4949shooter 09-26-2012 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by d123gaw (Post 19458169)
on a similar subject. should the G23 use the short barrel GD ammo?

Nahh I don't think so. That ammo might be better in the G27.

barth 09-26-2012 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19454191)
The 165 grain hollow point loaded to 1,150 fps when fired from a 4" barrel is a load that has really shined in this caliber.

The current Gold Dot load and the Ranger-T series load in this weight lead the pack by a narrow margin.

When It comes to ammo choices Deanna and I often agree.
Both of these rounds have an excellent track record on the street.

SouthernBoyVA 09-26-2012 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 19454191)
The 165 grain hollow point loaded to 1,150 fps when fired from a 4" barrel is a load that has really shined in this caliber.

The current Gold Dot load and the Ranger-T series load in this weight lead the pack by a narrow margin.

This is the load I have in Gold Dot for my .40S&W guns. It is number 53970 and I have only been able to locate it online.

KK40384 09-26-2012 17:46

I carry the 155gr in both my G23 and my G27. Why? I found a few boxes on sale and they were out of the 165gr which I had before. Having shot both I prefer the 155gr for some reason. No scientific reasoning behind it just preference.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ABNAK 09-26-2012 20:24

Weren't there two 165gr GD loads at one time? One was a good deal faster, the other more benign?

SouthernBoyVA 09-27-2012 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABNAK (Post 19459761)
Weren't there two 165gr GD loads at one time? One was a good deal faster, the other more benign?

Yes, there still are two Gold Dot Law Enforcement loads in 165gr. One is the #53970 that I mentioned above and the other is $53949. The 53949 load comes in at 1050 fps with 404 ft/lbs of energy while the 53970 load registers 1150 fps with 484 ft/lbs of energy. As a comparison, the Federal HST 165gr load (P40HST3) clocks in at 1130 fps with 468 ft/lbs of energy.

My chosen loads for my G23's are the Gold Dot 53970 load or the HST P40HST3 load. Both of these loads have a very good track record on the street and are prized by police agencies.

For my G27, when I carry it, I prefer a 155gr load because of the shorter barrel. Inertia dictates that a lighter bullet will accelerate more quickly in a shorter barrel than will a heavier bullet which relies on more barrel length to develop its velocity.

cowboy1964 09-27-2012 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA (Post 19460495)
For my G27, when I carry it, I prefer a 155gr load because of the shorter barrel. Inertia dictates that a lighter bullet will accelerate more quickly in a shorter barrel than will a heavier bullet which relies on more barrel length to develop its velocity.

Well the counter argument is that in shorter barrels faster loads lose more velocity as a percentage. Personally I still prefer mid-weights, regardless of barrel length.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.