Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Glockers of the Old Dominion (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Hiking Near NoVa (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444095)

M&P15T 09-21-2012 13:57

Hiking Near NoVa

I really need to get way out in the sticks.

I'd love to find a place where I could hike, over hill & dale, and open carry while doing so. For nothing more than fun & excercise.

Any suggestions? Head out I-66 W and find some woods? Some place in specific folks know about? Some state parks where firearms are legal?

ChuteTheMall 09-21-2012 14:30

If you are willing to hike unarmed, I highly recommend the Billygoat Trail in the Maryland section of Great Falls National Park.
Park near Old Angler's Inn, start hiking upstream on the C&O Canal Trail to the well marked trailhead. It's a loop trail, takes over an hour (or much more if you stop to gawk at some amazing scenery. Allow two hours).

The main section of the park, with boardwalks and crowds, has better views but it's not what I call hiking. See both.

Tagged because I also need to find some gun-friendly trails.

RWBlue 09-22-2012 13:50

As a bicyclist..... I am interested in any spots that are bicycle friendly.

Probably not gun friendly areas.

The only thing I can offer is that the W&OD is nice out past Reston. You feel like you are out in the country, but are not.

Shenandoah.

C&O in MD.

RWBlue 09-22-2012 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall (Post 19442762)
If you are willing to hike unarmed, I highly recommend the Billygoat Trail in the Maryland section of Great Falls National Park.
Park near Old Angler's Inn, start hiking upstream on the C&O Canal Trail to the well marked trailhead. It's a loop trail, takes over an hour (or much more if you stop to gawk at some amazing scenery. Allow two hours).

The main section of the park, with boardwalks and crowds, has better views but it's not what I call hiking. See both.

Tagged because I also need to find some gun-friendly trails.

I have bicycled past that area many times, but have never stopped. I can not remember is it MT bike friendly?

ChuteTheMall 09-22-2012 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWBlue (Post 19445634)
I have bicycled past that area many times, but have never stopped. I can not remember is it MT bike friendly?

No, too much scrambling on all fours over big boulders.
Not even close to being do-able, and signs prohibit it.

This Billygoat trail kinda circumnavigates Bear Island, if anyone is looking for it on a map.

There was a safe place to lock bikes in plain sight of the trailhead, IIRC. I haven't been yet this year.

There is some MTB available in Great Falls Nat'l Park in Virginia, however (and if you enter thru somewhere like Difficult Run you might get in and out for free.):whistling:

vafish 10-02-2012 20:25

Well there is the Appalachian Trail running through Shenandoah national park to the west of us. Lots of hiking in the park.

I have a co-worker with a huge map on the wall of his office, he has hiked every trail in the park.