Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How to get carry, to Put In Bay, Ohio? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443568)

alwaysshootin 09-18-2012 07:07

How to get carry, to Put In Bay, Ohio?

Going to travel north to spend a weekend in Put In Bay. Taking a ferry ride, from Port Clinton! How can I legally get my carry weapon to my destination? Any help will be greatly appreciated!:dunno:

sourdough44 09-18-2012 11:41

Does the ferry prohibit it? I'd think there would be a way to do it. Lock it in your trunk, spare tire bin?

Chup 09-18-2012 13:52

The Ferry was posted, I carried mine IWB just like I always do. Nobody said a thing.

Chup 09-18-2012 13:53

The Ferry was posted, I carried mine IWB just like I always do. Nobody said a thing.:tongueout:

alwaysshootin 09-18-2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chup (Post 19432696)
The Ferry was posted, I carried mine IWB just like I always do. Nobody said a thing.:tongueout:

You know, I will carry in a grocery store that is posted, without hesitation! A ship, ran by the Coast Guard, though, and being posted, can you imagine if you got caught?

Was there a couple of summers ago, and yes it is well posted. Kind of like walking into a federal building, or court house type of posting, with I'm sure stiff penalties if caught. I wasn't checked either, but my mothers purse was. Last time, we were just visiting for the day, so I went back to the truck, and locked it up. This time we are staying for the weekend.

I have hundreds of miles of travel, many stops in between. I want to carry, so I'll ask again, is there a legal way to get my carry to my destination?

paintballwannab 09-18-2012 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysshootin (Post 19433235)
You know, I will carry in a grocery store that is posted, without hesitation! A ship, ran by the Coast Guard, though, and being posted, can you imagine if you got caught?

Was there a couple of summers ago, and yes it is well posted. Kind of like walking into a federal building, or court house type of posting, with I'm sure stiff penalties if caught. I wasn't checked either, but my mothers purse was. Last time, we were just visiting for the day, so I went back to the truck, and locked it up. This time we are staying for the weekend.

I have hundreds of miles of travel, many stops in between. I want to carry, so I'll ask again, is there a legal way to get my carry to my destination?

Unless I'm not catching something they're not operated by the USCG, Miller boat lines and jetexpress are normal companies that offer a service.

The only way I know of to do it no questions perfect would be to either borrow a friends boat, or rent a private charter to take you out there.

Have you tried calling either of the ferry services and asking them, it maybe something that comes up often enough and they've made arrangements for such situations.

alwaysshootin 09-19-2012 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintballwannab (Post 19434081)
Unless I'm not catching something they're not operated by the USCG, Miller boat lines and jetexpress are normal companies that offer a service.

The only way I know of to do it no questions perfect would be to either borrow a friends boat, or rent a private charter to take you out there.

Have you tried calling either of the ferry services and asking them, it maybe something that comes up often enough and they've made arrangements for such situations.

Thank you, I will do just that!:wavey:

bustedknee 09-19-2012 10:51

Sneak it into your wife's purse.

She doesn't have a clue what all is in there.

If she gets caught she will simply think she forgot about putting it there.

:animlol:

paintballwannab 09-19-2012 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bustedknee (Post 19435725)
Sneak it into your wife's purse.

She doesn't have a clue what all is in there.

If she gets caught she will simply think she forgot about putting it there.

:animlol:

man that's just wrong...funny....but wrong :rofl:

steveksux 09-28-2012 08:25

Check with the coast guard, a certain size/class of vessel will be a federal matter and have serious repercussions is caught. Similar to having one on a plane if I'm not mistaken. I think if they have to file security plan with CG, it's off limits. I asked about a riverboat cruise because it might stray into Canadian waters, that wasn't a problem, but the vessel was off limits due to size/# of passengers making it a certain class of vessel under CG jurisdiction.

Call the Coast Guard, check the CG forum here. it's one thing to risk civil infraction for a posted business, quite another thing to risk a federal beef.

AT LEAST I would lock it unloaded in the trunk and try to get by on the new fed law on traveling with firearm.
Appearing to give serious effort to being legal looks a lot better than trying to push the envelope when you've screwed and relying on officials discretion whether to charge you or not. I would NOT want to have it on me in that case.

Randy

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

alwaysshootin 09-28-2012 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintballwannab (Post 19434081)

Thank you all. This is all that was needed! Had a great time!:wavey:

cowboywannabe 09-28-2012 09:01

the USCG does not enforce state gun laws. the USCG enforces federal laws. there are no federal laws which the USCG will enforce against carrying a handgun on a privately owned, run, or operated u.s. registered boat.

Skid_on_Roadkill 10-01-2012 21:46

My co-worker just went in July, took Miller Ferry to/from Put-in-Bay.
He claims "fat people" were blocking sign.
Carried all day long.
No one knew.