Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Snubbie Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Charter arms 38 special off duty model (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440932)

Marine123 09-02-2012 12:23

Charter arms 38 special off duty model
 
I had been looking for a revolver that was reasonably priced and looked good. I found this at my local pawnshop price wise was 130$ and it looked in almost new condition. Any advice on these models? as I am new to snubbies. I also purchased a desantis pocket holster.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ChiefWPD 09-09-2012 19:04

Fire a box (better two boxes) of ammo through it. If the gun works every time, you have a very practical off-duty handgun.

I own a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog. Put many rounds through it. A decent quality, always reliable handgun.

Marine123 09-09-2012 19:13

I shot 100 rds through it. It actually worked great I used cheap magnatech ammo 5 of them didn't go off so I'm thinking I better get the good ammo with it.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ChiefWPD 09-09-2012 21:56

If the primers of the rounds that didn't go bang showed they had a solid primer hit, the problem is with the ammo, not the handgun.

pjva04 09-12-2012 03:45

I have had a few CA's. I had an old school Undercover with a 3" barrel that was sicly accurate (wish Inever traded it), a couple Bulldog .44's that carried and shot well but ammo was just too expensive (wish Inever traded them), and an Off Duty that IMHO carried better that a Smith Airweight...it IS 4 oz lighter, though I was going through a Kydex and formed leather phase then and holsters were a problem...wish Clipdraw made a clip for them like they do for Smiths and not the retarded Universal one (still wish I never traded it).

CA's have always been good to me, and it sounds like you got an awesome deal....ENJOY!

Marine123 09-12-2012 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefWPD (Post 19403018)
If the primers of the rounds that didn't go bang showed they had a solid primer hit, the problem is with the ammo, not the handgun.

Yep it was the ammo, I checked the primer hits and they were solid.Thanks for the info ChiefWPD.



Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Leigh 09-12-2012 09:39

Older Charter Arms (not Charco, Charter 2000, etc) were well-made.
Their newer offerings not so much.

FM12 12-07-2012 13:06

I carried a CA 38 spl off and on for 25 years as a back up. Loved it, wish I had it back but needed the $$$ at the time.

uhlawpup 12-07-2012 13:38

I, too, had the older Charter Arms .38 snubbie with the unshrouded barrel. Worked great!

Avoid the newer ones with the shrouded barrel. The one I had kept trying to shed the shroud.

CC99 12-13-2012 17:47

I have the CA "On Duty" model, SS + polished alum, 5 shot with shrouded hammer for no-snag draw and only weighs 13 ounces. Love It!!
It has a couple hindred rounds through it and is perfect, of course.
Only downside is the aluminum scratches easily, but I don't care since I'll never sell it.

I had a CA "Pug", 5 shot, blue, .357mag for 12 years as an off-duty carry, but it was 22oz. One of the few sidearms I ever shot enough to actually wear out.

Adjuster 12-14-2012 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjva04 (Post 19410519)
I have had a few CA's. I had an old school Undercover with a 3" barrel that was sicly accurate (wish Inever traded it), a couple Bulldog .44's that carried and shot well but ammo was just too expensive (wish Inever traded them), and an Off Duty that IMHO carried better that a Smith Airweight...it IS 4 oz lighter, though I was going through a Kydex and formed leather phase then and holsters were a problem...wish Clipdraw made a clip for them like they do for Smiths and not the retarded Universal one (still wish I never traded it).

CA's have always been good to me, and it sounds like you got an awesome deal....ENJOY!


Have you learned your lesson yet!?


/

DFin 12-15-2012 16:40

I have an old Undercover that has worked fine. Are the current production CA's ok?
I like the idea of a 9mm, .40 or .357 pug.

picketpin 12-22-2012 14:58

I have a new stailness Bulldog, I really like it, I like it much more since installing pachmyars..
james

countrygun 12-22-2012 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFin (Post 19738917)
I have an old Undercover that has worked fine. Are the current production CA's ok?
I like the idea of a 9mm, .40 or .357 pug.

Yes. I would say they are at least the quality of the ORIGINAL CAs if not better.

pjva04 01-07-2013 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjuster (Post 19733585)
Have you learned your lesson yet!?


/

Ugh...probably not

countrygun 01-07-2013 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leigh (Post 19411373)
Older Charter Arms (not Charco, Charter 2000, etc) were well-made.
Their newer offerings not so much.

I agree about Charco and Charter 2000, but the new bulldog is as good, if not better than the original I used to shoot.

gunsup 06-08-2013 06:49

Have been carrying the newer off duty for several years since the new owner took over (non charco/2000). Great pistol. Put many rounds through it. Not one hiccup. Accurate and all I can ask for in a light weight and easy to hide snub. This wheel gun goes more places with me than any other


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

MStarmer 07-01-2013 20:49

I had a very nice used undercover but even after spring replacement I kept having one or two not go off (out of 50). Tried several different brands but always had the odd misfire, not a real confidence builder. The guy I bought it from wanted it back so I obliged. Just make sure you run a mess of ammo thru it before you depend on it. To me they're like Taurus if you get a good one don't let it go, if not well then it goes on the block... Sounds like you got a good enough price to take a chance on.

MStarmer 07-01-2013 20:50

Forget to add, where's the pic? No pic it don't exist. :)

janice6 07-01-2013 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefWPD (Post 19403018)
If the primers of the rounds that didn't go bang showed they had a solid primer hit, the problem is with the ammo, not the handgun.


I had so much trouble with Magtech that I cannot buy anymore. 30% misfires and subsequent fires from 2 to 5 repeat FP strikes. No other ammunition causes this problem for me. Check up on the headstamp.

I have Remington shells that fired with only a slight mark from the FP on them and Magtech that took many strikes to fire when the first was quite deep.


About Charter Arms:

I bought my daughter (a Lefty) a Charter Arms Lefty .38 Special snubbie and it has been flawless over 6 years now. Nary a hiccup.

bac1023 07-17-2013 21:34

:needspics:

itstime 07-17-2013 21:39

I've always wanted a Charter. Someday.

Boot Stomper 07-17-2013 22:39

Anyone have a Charter Arms Bulldog in 9 mm or 40 S&W?

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...bull_79920.asp

cowboywannabe 08-03-2013 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boot Stomper (Post 20469217)
Anyone have a Charter Arms Bulldog in 9 mm or 40 S&W?

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...bull_79920.asp

theyre on the same frame and mechanisms as the 44 bulldog, which has its own set of on again off again problems... I cant see going back to a failed design without handling it first to check it for proper timing, end shake, and lock up....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.