Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sights, Optics and Lasers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Night Sight Recommendations for G30SF... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439234)

DakotaGlockGuy 08-23-2012 20:14

Night Sight Recommendations for G30SF...
 
The only thing missing on my new G30SF is a set of Night Sights, and I was wondering if you could recommend a set based on the following criteria:

* Gun is used 1 or 2 times a week as a range gun (primarily at an indoor range, but some outdoor range time, too.)

* Gun will be used as a CCW. (Crossbreed Supertuck, or Theis, if it matters)

* Gun is used for home defense.


Thanks in advance!

CanMan 08-23-2012 21:31

I'd put a set of XS big dots on it.... they're great for low/no light. Especially easy to aquire. Downside is they're not as precise for 'target' shooting. Every darn thing we do seems to be a compromise.

DakotaGlockGuy 08-23-2012 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanMan (Post 19341430)
I'd put a set of XS big dots on it.... they're great for low/no light. Especially easy to aquire. Downside is they're not as precise for 'target' shooting. Every darn thing we do seems to be a compromise.

I'm actually leaning this way already! Glad to hear I'm on the right path!

swinokur 08-24-2012 04:00

I have Meprolights on all 3 of my Glocks. My first 1911 (Kimber TLE) had them and I just stuck with them.

Nothing fancy. Just a good basic night site. Nice site picture IMO.

DakotaGlockGuy 08-26-2012 12:54

XS Big Dots on the way!
 
Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on a set of XS Big Dots. Looking forward to trying them out next week!

G26S239 08-26-2012 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinokur (Post 19342081)
I have Meprolights on all 3 of my Glocks. My first 1911 (Kimber TLE) had them and I just stuck with them.

Nothing fancy. Just a good basic night site. Nice site picture IMO.

I also prefer Mepros, I have the Tru Dots on my 26 and 36. Going to replace the old Trijicons on my G21 with them soon. A friend of my has the XS Big Dots and likes them a lot but they are not for me.

4Rules 08-26-2012 21:34

Sight recommendation
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425338

DakotaGlockGuy 08-29-2012 20:36

Installed!!!!
 
Just got the sights today and install was a breeze!

Headed to the range tomorrow, and we'll see how they work!

RayB 08-30-2012 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Shooter (Post 19363908)
Just got the sights today and install was a breeze!

Headed to the range tomorrow, and we'll see how they work!


Will be curious... Because we found them sorely wanting for range use, and awkward when switching from guns with more traditional sights... :dunno:

--Ray

DakotaGlockGuy 08-30-2012 20:17

Range Report Lesson...
 
Well I hit the range today, even though it was not the best timing. We've been having a bit of a heat wave in ND, so I mowed and weed-wacked the lawn before going. I could tell my arms were already tired, and not real stable, but I wanted to give it a try.

I have to say I'm impressed with the Big Dots, and look forward to trying them again next week when the lawncare timing is much better. While I didn't shoot a 2" group with them, I did feel they are more than capable of doing that ESPECIALLY with the distance (25-50 feet) I'm working with the majority of the time.

I think the other big thing that played against me was installing the NY1 trigger spring. The gun felt SO different from what I was used to, and taught me 2 valuable lessons:


1.) I'm NOT a fan of the NY1 trigger, even though a lot of people here are, and

2.) Work with ONE change at a time to really get a feel for what you changed!


While I feel the 1st trip was OK with the Big Dots, I really think I'm going to end up liking these sights!

Mattkcc 08-31-2012 00:19

Did you also drop in the 3.5 connector? I have the NY1 in all three of my Glocks, gives me a trigger similar to my K frame S&W. It takes a little time to get used to the NY1, also I noticed it needs a little break-in time and got lighter and smother after a couple hundred rounds. Dry firing also helps, but with out the 3.5 connector the NY1 is way to heavy. Also Glock gives it's blessing for the combo for defense.

DakotaGlockGuy 08-31-2012 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattkcc (Post 19368373)
Did you also drop in the 3.5 connector? I have the NY1 in all three of my Glocks, gives me a trigger similar to my K frame S&W. It takes a little time to get used to the NY1, also I noticed it needs a little break-in time and got lighter and smother after a couple hundred rounds. Dry firing also helps, but with out the 3.5 connector the NY1 is way to heavy. Also Glock gives it's blessing for the combo for defense.

I did use a 3.5 Wolf connector with the NY1. I thought I put that in there, but see that I didn't. The combo doesn't feel bad. I liked the smooth pull, but not the added weight. After swapping out the NY1 spring, and a few other changes, I think I have the perfect set up now.

GlockPistola 08-31-2012 10:45

I really like my Trijicon HD with orange front.

RayB 08-31-2012 18:04

From my Night Sight Review...

*****

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1438678

*****

--Ray


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.