Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Carry Ammo in my G19?!?!?! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439048)

G35DriverG19Carrier 08-22-2012 22:38

Carry Ammo in my G19?!?!?!
 
Hello, this is my first post in this area of the forum and only my 3rd overall (even the intro forum). I am currently Carrying 147g Bonded Golden Saber +P in my G19. Also this ammo was bought for me by a friend who said that that is what a lot of our local LEOs carry off duty if they choose a 9mm (ours carry G22s).

I have read that most of you guys really don't like the 147g stuff and I had 2 main questions to this.

1. Why do you not like the 147g?
2. What is a decent ammo to carry. I do personally believe faster and heavier = more damage. But I am totally open to opinions and any facts that I have overlooked.

Thanks everyone all input is welcome.

JW1178 08-22-2012 22:48

I think the Ranger 127+P+, as well as the Federal HST 124+P and can't go wrong with the 115+P+ Federal 9BPLE. I think if you like the 147+P the HST is a better choice. I guess the GS isn't bad either. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

cowboy1964 08-22-2012 22:59

Golden Saber Bonded is a top round, in any caliber or weight. My main concern would be shooting 100 or more through the G19 to verify functioning. Which means if I needed to buy a few boxes of new stuff I'd go with Gold Dot 124+P. Also the main problem (as I see it) with 147s in general, and 147+P in particular, is the different recoil/feel of it compared to your typical practical ammo. Not a huge deal but I like to practice with something as similar in feel with what I carry, if possible.

ABNAK 08-22-2012 23:59

Much of the disdain for 147gr loads goes way back to the 80's and 90's when they DID suck. With the advancements in bullet design the 147gr of 2012 is MUCH better than they used to be.

I carry 147gr +P HST's in my Glock 19. You would be well-served with any of the HST +P's. The 124gr +P Gold Dot has a pretty loyal following too. Then there's the good ol' 9BPLE with a lengthy track record.

9mm +p+ 08-23-2012 00:43

147's are garbage, why? They are taking away what the 9mm needs to be effective, velocity,period. If you have a big bore like a 45 you can run a heavy, momentum based bullet because you'll have the weight and diameter of the bullet. The 9mm 147 has neither and doesn't have the velocity needed to be effective. I've seen 147's fail miserably time and again, on things they shouldn't have failed on. Door frames, side window glass in a car, sheetmetal in same car, they bounced right off. The list goes on and on, carry what you like and believe what you like, there are lot's of "experts" online who will tell you the 147 is THE bullet/load for the 9mm. For my hind end it's a medium weight 124/127 at +p or +p+ velocities, current carry in Ranger T 127. Just got my Underwood order in and I will be testing their 124 +p+ out in my carry nines, if all is well that will be my new carry load.

PghJim 08-23-2012 06:01

I agree with 9mm+p+. When I am not carrying the G32 in 357 sig HST, I carry Underwood 124gr GD +p+, after that would be the Federal 9BPLE 115gr +p+. The 147 HST would be the best in that category if I had to use one, and the 147 was chosen at first due to penetration. The Underwood gives good penetration, with great velocity and expansion.

hotpig 08-23-2012 08:17

Bullet technology has made velocity pretty much obsolete. Demand for +P and +P+ have steadily declined from the end of the 90's. I have been assured that so long as enough of a demand remains they will continue to make them.

Even in the last few years I had to change from stocking one case of +P/+P+ for every case of standard pressure ammo. Now I expect the end of the year tally to be closer to six to one. A large portion of that will be standard pressure 230gr and 147gr.

jbglock 08-23-2012 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW1178 (Post 19337709)
I think the Ranger 127+P+, as well as the Federal HST 124+P and can't go wrong with the 115+P+ Federal 9BPLE. I think if you like the 147+P the HST is a better choice. I guess the GS isn't bad either. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

The only load I have experience in shooting is the Ranger T-series 127 +P+. It is a very poor performing round out of 1st a gen3 and now a gen4 17. I don't know what is a better round in 9mm but the t-series is a very poor performer when it comes to killing things. It is accurate though. The only reason I use it is because it is the department issued load and I have no choice. I've actually considered buying my own duty weapon in a different caliber just so I could stop having to use this round even though I get it for free.

G35DriverG19Carrier 08-23-2012 09:28

Thank you all for the replies. It seems like there is a multitude of different answers and I have shot about 50 rounds of the GS through my Glock without a malfunction however every round I've ever shot hasn't had an issue (besides Win White Box with bad brass to start with). I'm actually leaning more towars a 124 +p+ after the replies.

Is there a good place to review ballistic tests with each type of ammo?

I do follow tnoutdoors9 on youtube but I didn't know if there was a chart or something somewhere.

The Retired Sarge 08-23-2012 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by G35DriverG19Carrier (Post 19338779)
Thank you all for the replies. It seems like there is a multitude of different answers and I have shot about 50 rounds of the GS through my Glock without a malfunction however every round I've ever shot hasn't had an issue (besides Win White Box with bad brass to start with). I'm actually leaning more towars a 124 +p+ after the replies.

Is there a good place to review ballistic tests with each type of ammo?

I do follow tnoutdoors9 on youtube but I didn't know if there was a chart or something somewhere.

Go to www.le.atk.com which is the Federal/Speer LE Site Under the ballistic testing section, take a look at the videos and test data. The debate between fast/light vs slow/heavy will never end. Do your own research and choose what you are confident with and what functions well in your pistol. Bottom line is any bullet or caliber will work very well at times and fail badly at times. It is the nature of handguns. My choice in 9mm is the standard pressure 147gr Federal HST. Bill

simotek 08-23-2012 13:42

I have been happy with Gold Dot 124gr +p. Functions perfectly in all my Glocks and seems to have a good reputation.

I worry less about whether or not I have the best round (though I do make sure I use one that is proven effective) then take the time to practice and make sure I can actually hit stuff with it. :)

Roering 08-23-2012 16:34

I wouldn't recommend anything under a 165gr bullet.

mastrbloata 08-23-2012 16:51

Based SOLEY on what I've seen in a few tests thusfar, I'd have to say that if you're going 147, go 147gr. HST. (Federal) The HST in 147 doesn't go as deeply as some of the other 147gr. offerings but it does expand quite a bit for a 147.

unit1069 08-23-2012 20:49

For me it all depends on the pistol. In my pocket 9mm I carry a standard pressure 115-grain JHP that provides outstanding accuracy. In my sub-compact 9mm I'm currently carrying 124-grain HST +P, with about a half-dozen other premium JHP rounds in standard and +P/+P+ configuration that I'd have complete confidence in.

If you're going for the heavy 147-grain ammo then the standard pressure stuff is as good as the +P, from what I can tell, although I've never shot any heavy-for-caliber rounds myself in that caliber. If you instead like the +P, well the cost for both is the same so pick the one you like best. If I was going to CCW the heavy rounds I'd probably end up with HST, Gold Dot, and Golden Saber Bonded, picking whichever one suited my fancy on any given day.

M&P15T 08-25-2012 13:09

It really doesn't matter what high-quality JHP load you go with. These days, it's all pretty good.

Put it another way, no matter what ammo you choose, it's not gonna turn your pistol into a 1 shot Uber Stopper.

G35DriverG19Carrier 08-28-2012 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19346786)
It really doesn't matter what high-quality JHP load you go with. These days, it's all pretty good.

Put it another way, no matter what ammo you choose, it's not gonna turn your pistol into a 1 shot Uber Stopper.


Thats kind of the way I was leaning I mean I realize the only "Uber Stopper" is a high power rifle round but I just wanted to make sure I didn't over penetrate or it was a decent load. Thanks for the input.

BTW Archer... best cartoon on TV.

9mmParabellum 08-28-2012 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ (Post 19337929)
147's are garbage, why? They are taking away what the 9mm needs to be effective, velocity,period. If you have a big bore like a 45 you can run a heavy, momentum based bullet because you'll have the weight and diameter of the bullet. The 9mm 147 has neither and doesn't have the velocity needed to be effective. I've seen 147's fail miserably time and again, on things they shouldn't have failed on. Door frames, side window glass in a car, sheetmetal in same car, they bounced right off. The list goes on and on, carry what you like and believe what you like, there are lot's of "experts" online who will tell you the 147 is THE bullet/load for the 9mm. For my hind end it's a medium weight 124/127 at +p or +p+ velocities, current carry in Ranger T 127. Just got my Underwood order in and I will be testing their 124 +p+ out in my carry nines, if all is well that will be my new carry load.

So true the 147gr just does not have a good street record.

DWARREN123 08-28-2012 12:48

Any modern SD ammo should work okay. A SD shooting is not like the range and there will be many more variables than just how the bullet works.

pck50 08-28-2012 16:08

www.buffalobore.com
www.underwoodammo.com

Either brand with 115grain +P+ velocity 1400fps 501 Energy Pounds.





Quote:

Originally Posted by G35DriverG19Carrier (Post 19337691)
Hello, this is my first post in this area of the forum and only my 3rd overall (even the intro forum). I am currently Carrying 147g Bonded Golden Saber +P in my G19. Also this ammo was bought for me by a friend who said that that is what a lot of our local LEOs carry off duty if they choose a 9mm (ours carry G22s).

I have read that most of you guys really don't like the 147g stuff and I had 2 main questions to this.

1. Why do you not like the 147g?
2. What is a decent ammo to carry. I do personally believe faster and heavier = more damage. But I am totally open to opinions and any facts that I have overlooked.

Thanks everyone all input is welcome.


AquaHull 09-01-2012 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by simotek (Post 19339608)
I have been happy with Gold Dot 124gr +p. Functions perfectly in all my Glocks and seems to have a good reputation.

I worry less about whether or not I have the best round (though I do make sure I use one that is proven effective) then take the time to practice and make sure I can actually hit stuff with it. :)

Bonded bullet that stays together unlike some other top sellers

G35DriverG19Carrier 09-01-2012 14:22

Are the 124 Gold Dots bonded? That was one thing I did like about my Golden Sabers


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

klmmicro 09-01-2012 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by G35DriverG19Carrier (Post 19373511)
Are the 124 Gold Dots bonded? That was one thing I did like about my Golden Sabers

Gold Dots have the jacket infused into the lead core and they act more like a plated bullet than jacketed. I have never had one fail in testing and every Gold Dot made certainly resides in the premium category.

Kentguy 09-01-2012 18:08

I have been carrying the Hornday 124g XTP for quite a while but I kinda like Hornady's new Critical Duty 135g bullet. Have only watched YouTube videos and the article in American Rifleman.

mastrbloata 09-03-2012 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by G35DriverG19Carrier (Post 19373511)
Are the 124 Gold Dots bonded? That was one thing I did like about my Golden Sabers


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Yes, they are bonded.

SCmasterblaster 09-12-2012 17:00

I'd go with the 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ load from Winchester or Federal. I get 1400 FPS out of my G17. You should get 1350ish FPS out of your G19.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.