Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduction Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   Newbie First Pistol - Glock 26 Gen 4 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438069)

csistudent 08-17-2012 07:27

Newbie First Pistol - Glock 26 Gen 4

Hello all,
I'm new to everything. Just purchased my first pistol, Glock 26 Gen 4. I will be taking a basic pistol class tomorrow. Any advise on IWB holsters, cleaning etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tracy

mymini40 08-17-2012 07:49

W@elcome to,GT!

bac1023 08-17-2012 09:07

:welcome: and congrats

Irondog45 08-17-2012 12:39

White Hat Holsters IWB

barth 08-17-2012 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by csistudent (Post 19316757)
Hello all,
I'm new to everything. Just purchased my first pistol, Glock 26 Gen 4. I will be taking a basic pistol class tomorrow. Any advise on IWB holsters, cleaning etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tracy

The internet is a great information source.
There's how to videos on everything Glock.

Raven1967 08-17-2012 19:11

:welcome:

larson1122 08-18-2012 03:22

Welcome!

jph02 08-18-2012 08:24

ithaca_deerslayer 08-18-2012 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by csistudent (Post 19316757)
Hello all,
Thanks!
Tracy

I carry a 26 chambered. No safety means the holster is the safety. I prefer Kydex that has a firm snug fit around the trigger guard. The gun comes out with a brisk tug. I do not want a loose fitting holster.

If you are right handed, many newbies shoot Glocks low left. Pulling the trigger straight back while keeping the sights aligned is the solution, but easier said than done :) Your gun likely has potential to put all shots into 2" group at 25 yards. Anything bigger than that would be me or you yanking the trigger off to the side :)

I like to clean and lubricate with Hoppes number 9 lubricating oil. Don't oil the firing pin channel. Oil should be wiped off all parts when done, not kept wet. But sometimes I'll add a wet drop to the rails and then cycle the action. There's a diagram floating around here somewhere showing the key parts to oil, including the kinda flat metal part you see when you take the slide off and are looking down at the rear of the frame. If you carry, the gun will get dusty and dry, and maybe want to rust, although Glocks rust less than other guns. Cleaning once a month should be good. A toothpick helps to press the cleaning patch into the tight spots.

Dry firing is good practise, but that is when most accidental discharges happen because guys actually forget to unload first. I like to tripple check. Mag out, slide back, chamber is empty. Close slide and open it again, mag is out right, empty chamber right? Close slide again, lock it back open, mag is out because I can see my pinky at the bottom of the mag well, and I can see light coming down the barrel of the empty chamber (as I look at the chamber, not the muzzle). Ok, now point in a safe direction and practise pulling trigger. Seems crazy, but the tripple check provides a nice mental break.

Some gen 4's have had weak brass ejection problems, or brass to the face. A baseball hat and glasses will protect you. Ear muffs of course. If shooting indoors, muffs over ear plugs. 124gr American Eagle or Lawman seem good practise ammo, for better ejection. Also, just cycling the slide a lot seems to help, too. The more you shoot, the spring gets broken in and that seems to help. Maybe you won't have any trouble.

For racking the slide, if ever seems difficult to you, try holding the slide with your left hand (fingers over the top of the slide), and pushing the grip rapidly toward the ground. You have more natural arm pressure and force pushing down than pulling back.

I prefer to shoot pinky curled under the grip. I use a fairly strong push/pull, where my shooting hand (right hand) is pushing forward toward the target, and the support hand is pulling back. That puts the stubby 26 in a vise like hold. Others may prefer a finger extension on the mag, or use a more even side to side pressure. My right palm is pushing forward, and my left fingers (index, middle, and ring) are pulling back across the top of my right fingers (middle and ring). My right trigger finger is free in all of this. Keep both thumbs to the left side (if you are right handed). Thumbs can overlap each other or be parallel, but they must be to the left side, and not in the way of the slide as it recoils rearward. If you are left handed, reverse all of this, of course.

You may already know all of this, or other shooters will give you other advise :)

CanMan 08-18-2012 14:22

ithaca deerslayer gives some sound advice... only exception I take is with holsters. I have a few Kydex rigs but prefer these guys: www.kramer leather.com Maybe because they're local? or because I haven't had a bad horsehide holster from 'em yet. Congrats & enjoy your Glock :supergrin:

ca survivor 08-18-2012 15:33

Glock40man 08-19-2012 02:44

Welcome to GT and, enjoy your G26!

Lowjiber 08-19-2012 06:59

I carry my G26 IWB in a horsehide White Hat holster. Once you get everything adjusted the way you want it, use Loctite on the two belt-clip screws.

When the WH gets overly sweaty (I live in Vegas), I'll slip on my Desantis Cozy Partner for a day while the WH dries out again.

csistudent 08-19-2012 18:37

Thank you so much for all of the information. I went to my basic pistol class yesterday and loved it! I shot very well and the instructer actually called me the Glock Master... lol I purchased this mainly for personal protection but am finding I love it and will be wanting to practice all the time.

ithaca_deerslayer 08-19-2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by csistudent (Post 19325744)
Thank you so much for all of the information. I went to my basic pistol class yesterday and loved it! I shot very well and the instructer actually called me the Glock Master... lol I purchased this mainly for personal protection but am finding I love it and will be wanting to practice all the time.

Great!

Glocks are fantastics guns. The 26 is one of the most popular concealed carry guns out there.

I also have the 17 which is the full-size in 9mm. I like the longer grip and longer sight radius more for competition, and it is easy to switch back and forth between shooting the 17 and shooting the 26.

Someday you might want a second Glock, too :)

nomadrider 08-22-2012 19:23

Welcome from the Adirondack Mountains of New York State

jdl2 08-23-2012 07:58

Welcome!
Jim L. (NY)

druryj 08-27-2012 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanMan (Post 19321263)
ithaca deerslayer gives some sound advice... only exception I take is with holsters. I have a few Kydex rigs but prefer these guys: www.kramer leather.com Maybe because they're local? or because I haven't had a bad horsehide holster from 'em yet. Congrats & enjoy your Glock :supergrin:

I have the best of both worlds! A nice, tight, thin, wel made IWB Kydex from PJ Holsters and a Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard for OWB for my G26! Both have good service and fast turnaround time. Hard to beat!

oily_oink 09-02-2012 08:35

:welcome: From Michigan!