Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Any Border Patrol? Question ref, training. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429397)

Sgt127 06-26-2012 19:55

Any Border Patrol? Question ref, training.

So, I get an email from a buddy of mine with this link:

http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/06/bo...ngs-not-shoot/

Bottom line is, the article staes that if you are confronted by an active shooter, you should run, hide, call 911 and, as a last resort, throw things at the shooter. Supposedly taught to in service Border Patrol. (no mention of, I dunno...killing the active shooter)

Taking most emails with a grain of salt, I would guess this is training for unarmed folks. Wives. Advice to give people who ask you what they should do etc. And, not really "training" for what they actually want a Border Patrol Agent doing in a situation like that....right?

RyanNREMTP 06-26-2012 20:14

And to quote from my favorite movie- "What the hell are we supposed to use man? Harsh language? "

Newcop761 06-26-2012 20:15

That bull**** went out DHS-wide. They have "courses" where you click-until-you-get-a-certificate that they substitute for actual training.

It's pretty awesome.

SpectreRider 06-26-2012 20:30

I am ok with the run/ hide/ throw things scenario as long as the things are grenades.

Other than that, not so ok.

mntrpr 06-26-2012 20:39

WTF? Is that real?

JAS104 06-26-2012 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mntrpr (Post 19134836)
WTF? Is that real?

Yup. Lol

-J :cowboy:

hoven88 06-26-2012 21:10

Seeing as how i've seen Customs and Border Protection involved in active shooter live exercises as recently as earlier this year, i'd say probably not the training they are given. But what do i know?

Newcop761 06-26-2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoven88 (Post 19134948)
Seeing as how i've seen Customs and Border Protection involved in active shooter live exercises as recently as earlier this year, i'd say probably not the training they are given. But what do i know?

I don't know if Coasties have that horrendous virtual university or virtual learning center but ICE and CBP do and the article is, sadly, accurate. Since management isn't capable of an original thought / scared of liability / apathetic nobody thought to exclude the gun-toting members of DHS from this mandatory "training".

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Edit: capitalize Coastie. No slight intended.

golden_eagle 06-26-2012 21:48

This article brought a smile to my face. I'm glad someone else found this as ridiculous as I did.

hoven88 06-26-2012 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newcop761 (Post 19134997)
I don't know if Coasties have that horrendous virtual university or virtual learning center but ICE and CBP do and the article is, sadly, accurate. Since management isn't capable of an original thought / scared of liability / apathetic nobody thought to exclude the gun-toting members of DHS from this mandatory "training".

Edit: capitalize Coastie. No slight intended.

We do have mandated online training as well, but nothing as ridiculous as what is in the article. Are you CBP/ICE(HSI)? I only ask to see if you have actually taken the training in question. The article is based off of a non-official union blog, which makes me question it's validity.

ETA: I'll talk to the CBP guys i know tommorow and get the scoop from them.

mntrpr 06-26-2012 22:10

I dunno about other folks, but personally I would have a hard enough time waiting for more good guy shooters for backup as an active shooter scenario is going down, much less run and hide.

Newcop761 06-26-2012 23:12

I'm on the deportation side of the house.

merlynusn 06-27-2012 08:21

Can someone within ICE / BP / CBP tell us if this is legit? I went to the union website so obviously it's being put out there.

ETA: Okay, talked to someone with HSI. The training was mandated for all of DHS, however, it was geared toward non-LEOs and not the LEOs, even though they had to take it.

Breadman03 06-27-2012 08:51

Did they just take the script of the "Scream" movies and adapt it to LEO training?

This sounds rediculous at best.

wrenrj1 06-27-2012 10:24

That sounds almost word for word the couple of active shooter presentations (I've attended) for John Q. Public, sans the shoot the guy at the end.

Sam Spade 06-27-2012 14:12

It's the generic training for secretaries, mechanics and other non-sworn types that somehow got (mis) directed to the gun-toting side of the house.

kpuscg04 06-27-2012 15:56

ICE-HSI, I took it we all had to. It was DHS mandated, I'm sure the Secret Service guys took it too.

The training was not meant for the LEOs but they forced us to take it anyway. No scandal, no cover-up, no expectation that DHS LEOs run and hide, just an admin moron that was to lazy to figure out a way to direct the training to its intended audience.

Kahr_Glockman 06-27-2012 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpuscg04 (Post 19137322)
The training was not meant for the LEOs but they forced us to take it anyway. No scandal, no cover-up, no expectation that DHS LEOs run and hide, just an admin moron that was to lazy to figure out a way to direct the training to its intended audience.

So what your saying is typical government buracracy weenie?

Oh and I like the mockingjay.

Tiro Fijo 06-28-2012 02:14

Quote:

...I'm sure the Secret Service guys took it too...

And it works!! Throwing their BVD's at a Colombian hooker deterred her from illegal entry. :supergrin:

Sgt127 06-28-2012 08:30

Quote:

ICE-HSI, I took it we all had to. It was DHS mandated, I'm sure the Secret Service guys took it too.

Kinda what I thought. Thanks.