Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 10 Ring (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   who's converted a .45 korean mag to 10mm (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405249)

Ethereal Killer 02-29-2012 17:28

who's converted a .45 korean mag to 10mm
 
What did you do to make it work?

did it work?

what parts needed to be swapped?

I've tried the Kriss magex's and may have some new ideas to make that work.

I have some 10mm spare followers and some of these 27 round 45 ACP korean KCI mags.

I'm wondering how you close the feed lip gap and make it stick?

Ethereal Killer 03-02-2012 00:06

OK, nobody has messed with the feed lips at all? changed the follower?

B.Reid 03-02-2012 10:46

Never tried it on a glock but in a 1911 a 45 mag will work with 10mm without alteration.

Opie 1 Kenopie 03-02-2012 12:43

Why? I just practice fast magazine changes. 15 rounds + 15 rounds + 15 rounds...

Ethereal Killer 03-02-2012 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie (Post 18656379)
Why? I just practice fast magazine changes. 15 rounds + 15 rounds + 15 rounds...

because we can :tongueout:

The feed lips are too far apart on the mag and the whole 10mm round just pops out

Opie 1 Kenopie 03-02-2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18657441)
because we can :tongueout:

The feed lips are too far apart on the mag and the whole 10mm round just pops out

This is the reason I ask why. Because we can sounds like an Obama thing. And since the feed lips won't hold your ammo in, evidently you can't.

samurairabbi 03-02-2012 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18648995)
What did you do to make it work?

did it work?

what parts needed to be swapped?

I've tried the Kriss magex's and may have some new ideas to make that work.

I have some 10mm spare followers and some of these 27 round 45 ACP korean KCI mags.

I'm wondering how you close the feed lip gap and make it stick?

I once tried compressing the feedlips on a Korean 45acp mag to the 10mm feedlip dimensions on a Glock mag. I could not get the reshaped lips parallel. I gave up.

My advice: Sell the Korean 45 mags at a gunshow or online. Buy Glock 15 round 10mm mags. Buy the Kriss 45acp extensions; they will work with 10mm mags. The 30-round Kriss extension in 45 becomes a 33-round 10mm mag; just the right touch for the next civil insurrection. They will also be FAR more reliable than jury-rigged Korean mags.

Drawbacks? The mag holes on the Kriss extension will not align exactly with the 10mm round count. I somehow managed to overcome my sorrow over this "mismatch". But then, you would have the same alignment problem with the Korean mags; counting rounds during a defensive situation is poor form anyway.

GRT45 03-02-2012 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurairabbi (Post 18658325)
Buy the Kriss 45acp extensions; they will work with 10mm mags. The 30-round Kriss extension in 45 becomes a 33-round 10mm mag; just the right touch for the next civil insurrection. They will also be FAR more reliable than jury-rigged Korean mags.

Drawbacks? The mag holes on the Kriss extension will not align exactly with the 10mm round count. I somehow managed to overcome my sorrow over this "mismatch".

Hmmm...I wonder what has changed since this guy (Carlos 10mm) tried and failed to make them work a little over a year ago (see GT thread link below). At the time, the mag spring supplied with the KRISS Super V MagEx G30 45ACP extension kit wouldn't fit in the G20 mag.

Kriss Super V extensions do not work with G20 mags.

Another guy (Jack-O) on a Saiga-12.com forum also described the problem with the supplied spring and other problems and presented workarounds he devised to make it work (January, 2010 at link below).

10mm fans.... Finally a 33 round mag that WORKS!!

samurairabbi 03-02-2012 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRT45 (Post 18658410)
Hmmm...I wonder what has changed since this guy (Carlos 10mm) tried and failed to make them work a little over a year ago (see GT thread link below). At the time, the mag spring supplied with the KRISS Super V MagEx G30 45ACP extension kit wouldn't fit in the G20 mag.

Kriss Super V extensions do not work with G20 mags.

Another guy on a different forum also described the problem with the supplied spring and other problems and presented workarounds he devised to make it work (January, 2010).

10mm fans.... Finally a 33 round mag that WORKS!!

Interesting! Either 1) the Kriss people reshaped the spring enough to work with both 45 and 10, 2) I got lucky straight out of the box with MY mag, or 3) the original problems were flukes. Get your bets down!

Ethereal Killer 03-03-2012 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurairabbi (Post 18658687)
Interesting! Either 1) the Kriss people reshaped the spring enough to work with both 45 and 10, 2) I got lucky straight out of the box with MY mag, or 3) the original problems were flukes. Get your bets down!


yeah the kriss dont work with the supplied mag springs I TRIED. it's just too fat. If they have changed the width of the spring so it does not rub inside a 10mm mag body I'd like to see someone confirm this, maybe with a caliper measurement I can compare. did you also have to mod your follower? I would definitely go this route if it works now.

I do think that the magex could be made to work with a spring from a 9mm 33 rounder tho. you would have to add a block to the bottom of the inside of the mag but no biggie.

There was a gentleman on here who was doing all that chrono testing and had modified one for use in his carbine that worked well. I was hoping he would respond and share.

I have not done the legwork on this yet, but I bought two to experiment on. I suspect I may have to put a small cut in the supporting metal liner at the top rear so the feed lips can come together enough to hold the 10mm properly. I may just start with some hammering tho.:upeyes:

samurairabbi 03-03-2012 17:08

Something I just remembered, that justifies (I hope) a supplement to my previous comments: there was ONE slight modification I made to the 10mm/Kriss setup to make it (in my mind) a defense-worthy item. As it came originally, at rare intervals, I would get a feed problem in mid-mag; the rounds stopped rising in the mag. The problem would ALWAYS be solved by simply slapping the bottom or exposed side of the mag HARD. Since the setup was really just a range toy, I didn't give the stoppages much thought.

Then I began thinking about the Kriss/10mm setup as a protection resource. I began investigating, found the problem ALWAYS occurred at the same round count, did some measuring based on that round count, and I am sure I solved the condition.

The Glock 10mm and 45 mags have the same EXTERNAL dimensions, but the INSIDE width of the 10mm is slightly less than the 45. The inner sleeve of the Kriss aligns perfectly with the 45-mag inside width, but with the slightly narrower 10mm mag inside width, and the right-angle cut on the bottom of the Glock mag casing, a slight step was created that, under the right conditions, could catch on the top fore-and-aft edge of the follower. I stripped the mag, and used a sharp utility knife to gently make a 45-degree bevel the full depth of the "step" on BOTH sides of the Glock mag. I did both sides, even though my diagnosis was applicable only to the side facing the high edge of the follower.

The sporatic stoppages disappeared, and I have used the mag sufficiently to be willing to rate it as a protection "accessory". I wanted to get all this posted, since I had given praise to the setup in an earlier post.

Ethereal Killer 03-04-2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurairabbi (Post 18661795)

The sporatic stoppages disappeared, and I have used the mag sufficiently to be willing to rate it as a protection "accessory". I wanted to get all this posted, since I had given praise to the setup in an earlier post.

when and where did you get your magex?

samurairabbi 03-04-2012 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18667465)
when and where did you get your magex?

I do gofer and front counter work for a local Glock armorer who does gunshows. I got it through him about 18 months ago.

Ethereal Killer 03-05-2012 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurairabbi (Post 18667689)
I do gofer and front counter work for a local Glock armorer who does gunshows. I got it through him about 18 months ago.

and the spring it came with didnt rub at ll in a 10mm mag body?

the one my two mag-ex's came with rubbed enough you definitely noticed it, and was causing it to jam.

does anyone know who the original manufacturer is on these? I would like to try to get a new spring.

GRT45 03-05-2012 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18668930)
does anyone know who the original manufacturer is on these? I would like to try to get a new spring.

Some months ago, I contacted KRISS and suggested they sell the spring in the KSV MagEx G30 extension kit as a separate, replacement part. They were very responsive to the suggestion. Happily, the part is now available for sale.

http://store.kriss-usa.com/accessori...ring-only.html

That is the good news. The bad news is the shipping cost ($10.21 to Texas) is more than the cost of the spring ($8.95). :sad: By coincidence, I have a spring on order to be delivered on 3/6/2012.

I can't vouch that the spring is any different than those you had before that are unsuitable for the G20 mags. My only experience with the KSV MagEx spring is with the extension kit on G21 13-rd 45ACP mags and as a replacement spring for the inferior spring in a Korean-made 27-rd 45ACP mag (Victory brand).

Ethereal Killer 03-05-2012 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRT45 (Post 18669223)
Some months ago, I contacted KRISS and suggested they sell the spring in the KSV MagEx G30 extension kit as a separate, replacement part. They were very responsive to the suggestion. Happily, the part is now available for sale.

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/kriss-store...category_id=12

That is the good news. The bad news is the shipping cost ($10.21 to Texas) is more than the cost of the spring ($8.95). :sad: By coincidence, I have a spring on order to be delivered on 3/6/2012.

I can't vouch that the spring is any different than those you had before that are unsuitable for the G20 mags. My only experience with the KSV MagEx spring is with the extension kit on G21 13-rd 45ACP mags and as a replacement spring for the inferior spring in a Korean-made 27-rd 45ACP mag (Victory brand).

Thanks for the link.

Would you be able to put a set of calipers on it and tell me the width of the coils? I can take a measurement of a mag to see if it'll fit.

Thanks in any event.:cool:

GRT45 03-05-2012 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18669729)
Would you be able to put a set of calipers on it and tell me the width of the coils? I can take a measurement of a mag to see if it'll fit.

Yes, I can make some caliper measurements for you when the spring is delivered, no problem. I will post them in this thread. I expect it will be Wednesday, March 7th at the latest.

GRT45 03-06-2012 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18669729)
Would you be able to put a set of calipers on it and tell me the width of the coils? I can take a measurement of a mag to see if it'll fit.

Below are the measurements of the KSV MagEx spring I received today from KRISS-USA. I hope this helps.

As the spring sits in a mag tube, I'm calling the coil "Length" (L) the dimension of the coil from front to back, where the back is the side of the mag with witness holes. Coil "Width" (W) is the dimension of the coil from side to side. These measurements are by digital caliper.

"Linear inches" simply refers to the uncompressed length of the spring coil sections (top and bottom), measured with a tape measure along the long axis of the spring. The total length of the uncompressed spring as received is 13.75 linear inches.

UPDATE 6/29/2012: Following text revised with new product description, SKU number and KRISS Store link.

Spring for 25+ extended mag (SKU: AMGS1-X001)

Purchased online from KRISS-USA, Inc. on February 27, 2012
http://store.kriss-usa.com/accessori...ring-only.html

Bottom Coils (16 coils total, 12.25 linear inches uncompressed)
0.80" W x 1.09" L (20.32mm W x 27.69mm L)
Top Coils (3 coils total, 1.5 linear inches uncompressed)
0.36" W x 1.09" L (9.14mm W x 27.69mm L)

Ethereal Killer 03-07-2012 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRT45 (Post 18676664)
Below are the measurements of the KSV MagEx spring I received today from KRISS-USA. I hope this helps.

As the spring sits in a mag tube, I'm calling the coil "Length" (L) the dimension of the coil from front to back, where the back is the side of the mag with witness holes. Coil "Width" (W) is the dimension of the coil from side to side. These measurements are by digital caliper.

"Linear inches" simply refers to the uncompressed length of the spring coil sections (top and bottom), measured with a tape measure along the long axis of the spring. The total length of the uncompressed spring as received is 13.75 linear inches.

KSV MagEx G30 Extended Magazine Spring Only (SKU ACMES0800110)

Purchased online from KRISS-USA, Inc. on February 27, 2012 at http://www.kriss-tdi.com/kriss-store.html

Bottom Coils (16 coils total, 12.25 linear inches uncompressed)
0.80" W x 1.09" L (20.32mm W x 27.69mm L)
Top Coils (3 coils total, 1.5 linear inches uncompressed)
0.36" W x 1.09" L (9.14mm W x 27.69mm L)

I'm getting the same measurements as you list above +- 0.010"

The glock 10mm spring I pulled from a mag is 0.615" wide by 0.960 deep by about 6.25" long.


the spring from the Korean mag has the same width and depth as the Kriss spring but measures about 14.5" long and has the same wire diameter 0.055" as the Kriss.

Just tryed the korean mag spring in a couple different 10mm mag body styles and they all rubbed the sides reall bad.

good news is, that by whacking the top 1/3 of the spring with a mallet so the diameter is narrowed a bit I think you might be able to get it to feed with the follower mod that samurirabbi mentioned.

I had planned to swap a spring from a 9mm 33 round mag into the kriss to see it that would feed with some follower mods.

still unsure what to do about these Korean mags.

samurairabbi 03-07-2012 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer (Post 18677448)
good news is, that by whacking the top 1/3 of the spring with a mallet so the diameter is narrowed a bit I think you might be able to get it to feed with the follower mod that samurirabbi mentioned.

A cautionary mention: I had modified the bottom rim of the G20 mag, not the follower.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.