Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Open Carry thoughts (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401920)

Sgt127 02-19-2012 10:19

Ah. It took me awhile to accept shirts untucked. So, I understand.

RussP 02-19-2012 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmathis84 (Post 18600798)
Myself personally I carry both openly and concealed. I don''t do it to be an "attention whore". A coupl of years ago I suffered from a back injury. I want to be armed everyday for the protection on my family. There are days when it is not comfortable at all to CC. I have no other option that to OC or not carry at all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt127 (Post 18601176)
How does wearing an untucked loose shirt over the gun that you are carying make a difference on your back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmathis84 (Post 18601260)
It doesnt bother my back at all. It is a habit for me to keep my shirt tucked in. Raised in a miltary-old fashioned family.

When I carry concealed, I carry IWB with either a cover garment or a polo shirt with a finished, banded bottom. The untucked t-shirt/polo/straight bottom shirts are not for me, either.

Like jmathis84, there are days when the IWB rig is too uncomfortable, so I go OWB. I do have leather OWB holsters that conceal well, but then there are the days when arthritis in my elbow and shoulder make drawing from the leather problematic. So, usually, I OWB with a BlackHawk SERPA CQC, when needed, with a cover garment.

jmathis84 02-19-2012 12:51

So you know my "pain" SGt.:rofl: It is something I am working on. Russ I have tried the polo shirts untucked but they drive me nuts anything with a collar or buttons in the front I have to tuck in. If I don't I just feel like im being a "bum". That is one thing I am glad about where I live. Never had to deal with the frantic calls or the LEO encounters for OC. It is a very common form of carry in GA. I don't carry that way often maybe 2-3 days out of the month so I can't offically call myself an Oc'er. I do like the fact of an "ace" up my sleeve but sometimes I just can't tolerate it. Stupid nerves and discs in my back just give me al kinds of grief.

Vigilant 02-19-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmathis84 (Post 18602021)
So you know my "pain" SGt.:rofl: It is something I am working on. Russ I have tried the polo shirts untucked but they drive me nuts anything with a collar or buttons in the front I have to tuck in. If I don't I just feel like im being a "bum". That is one thing I am glad about where I live. Never had to deal with the frantic calls or the LEO encounters for OC. It is a very common form of carry in GA. I don't carry that way often maybe 2-3 days out of the month so I can't offically call myself an Oc'er. I do like the fact of an "ace" up my sleeve but sometimes I just can't tolerate it. Stupid nerves and discs in my back just give me al kinds of grief.

Consider something the size of a Kahr P9, in a Nemesis pocket holster. Works really well, and 8 rounds of 124-grain 9MM +P should handle at least the vast majority of trouble one might encounter. A reload would be icing on the cake.

ray9898 02-19-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by series1811 (Post 18600577)
I think there is a place for open carry. But, it ain't a shopping mall, or downtown in the middle of the day.

Unless you are an attention whore.

Yup....I carry a gun for protection and not for the "hey look at me" factor. A concealed gun is just as effective and gives me more of an advantage than OC does.

jmathis84 02-19-2012 17:26

My last post was more of a joking matter refering to the fact of my old fashioned ways of keeping my shirt tucked in is not letting me conceal my gun all the time. I have looked at the pocket autos before. I just don't care for a gun that small. They smallest gun I have ever owned and cared for was my 637 airweight. If I ever choose to carry a smaller firearm of that nature it would certainly be a snubnose revolver. I want adsolute reliability if I am limiting myself to a pocket carry firearm. I do appreciate the recommendation though Vigilant.

DMF 02-19-2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by G30Mike (Post 18600164)
So if OC was the only legal means to carry a gun then you'd leave yourself defenseless? Sad.....

So you're only able to defend yourself with a gun? Sad. :upeyes:

tim12232 02-19-2012 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 18604404)

stop the pissing contest boys! I am a shorter thinner built guy and if someone bigger than i came up and attacked I really dont have much in terms of self defense! That could be the case with G30mike? An elderly person wouldnt have much defense against a young thug! Your quoted post, is a fail imho:upeyes:

RussP 02-19-2012 22:26

Quote:

If that were the only option, yes.

However, in Virginia, a person 18 years old or older may carry a handgun for self defense, but only those 21 years old or older may carry concealed.

The only way persons between 18 and 21 can carry is openly.

I know of individuals who on principal choose not to pay the Commonwealth's fee and undergo the background check required for a Concealed Handgun Permit. They carry openly. When Virginia chooses to join the ranks of Constitutional Carry States, they will carry concealed.

In Virginia, open carry is the only way everyone who chooses to, if they are not otherwise prohibited from owning and possessing firearms, can carry a handgun for self defense.

G30Mike 02-19-2012 23:04

Quote:

I'm 30, 5'10 150lbs. Type 1 diabetic, and have had two severe leg injuries to my left leg. If I need to go hands with someone, I absolutely will. My brother in law and I have tumbled in the grass and he outweighs me by 80-100lbs. I've been in physical altercations more than once when I was younger.
OTOH, if its a few guys that want to cause me harm, as is not so uncommon nowadays, then yes, I would like to be able to have something more for defense. If open carryin a handgun can deter these jackasses from attempting to cause me harm, even better.
I've said it before and ill say it again, criminals go after weaklings. I want them to know for a fact that the gun on my waist indicates that I may be small, but I'm not weak and im not to be f'd with.
I'm not an attention whore in the sense that I want evreyone to think I'm some kind of regular badass, but I do want anyone that might have the intention to cause me or my family violence to think I am.

tim12232 02-19-2012 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by G30Mike (Post 18604700)
I'm 30, 5'10 150lbs. Type 1 diabetic, and have had two severe leg injuries to my left leg. If I need to go hands with someone, I absolutely will. My brother in law and I have tumbled in the grass and he outweighs me by 80-100lbs. I've been in physical altercations more than once when I was younger.
OTOH, if its a few guys that want to cause me harm, as is not so uncommon nowadays, then yes, I would like to be able to have something more for defense. If open carryin a handgun can deter these jackasses from attempting to cause me harm, even better.
I've said it before and ill say it again, criminals go after weaklings. I want them to know for a fact that the gun on my waist indicates that I may be small, but I'm not weak and im not to be f'd with.
I'm not an attention whore in the sense that I want evreyone to think I'm some kind of regular badass, but I do want anyone that might have the intention to cause me or my family violence to think I am.

:yourock::agree::goodpost:

DMF 02-20-2012 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim12232 (Post 18604515)
I am a shorter thinner built guy and if someone bigger than i came up and attacked I really dont have much in terms of self defense!

Being short and thin doesn't mean you get to jump to lethal force in every situation where you might need to defend yourself, so man up and reference my avatar.

:upeyes:

DMF 02-20-2012 00:03

Quote:

. . . If I need to go hands with someone, I absolutely will. . .

BS. You are the one who claimed that without a gun you are "defenseless."

Again, man up and reference my avatar.

G30Mike 02-20-2012 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 18604889)

I'm not Billy Badass, I'm not going to throw down physically with 2 or more "thugs" that would like nothing more than to ring my bell.
I've had my ass handed to me by 2 guys, I fought back as well as I could, but in the end I was not the victor. Don't believe everything you see on TV when one guy takes on a bar full of bikers and walks away unscathed. I don't live in that fictional world.

I don't know where you got that I was whining, but you sir need to get out more. The world isn't all rainbows and puppy dogs, I've lived in places that would make most people piss their pants. I've seen things that most people have only seen on CSI or C.O.P.S. For you to say that anyones method of carrying a firearm is "stupid", only conveys that you are the one whining....

What if for example I said you were a coward because you hide your weapon? Afraid of the big bad boogyman police that will without certainty harass you or draw down on you if it was showing?

As a matter of fact I don't believe CC is stupid, I believe in the right to have a choice of how we carry our tools. If the public is so full of hoplophobes, then why isn't OC illegal everywhere? Why don't we hear more stories of gun grabs? Why don't we hear more stories of OCers being targeted? The liberal media would eat it up and you know it as well as I do.

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but you've failed to answer my question so ill pose it again....

If OC were the only means to carry, would you leave your gun at home and leave yourself defensless to an armed or multiple attacker situation?

jmathis84 02-20-2012 03:28

Good post Mike. I agree with what your saying. I personally think this thread is starting to get pointless. This is a lose lose thread. No matter how the argument is debated there will never be an agreement. There are some who like to OC and others who dont.Some believe it is displaying your rights and other say its "attention whoring". In my area it is generally a good thing. Most people I know and myelf included get asked questions. Most didnt know who could even carry a gun. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I have read countless threads on another forum that people were influnced into getting the CCW because of an OCer. I have also read threads where people freak because of the same OCer in a different part of town. I think waht matters most is getting more people to reconize they have rights and that includes carrying a firearm openly or concealed. What manner who choose to help educate people is just that YOUR OWN. All that really matters in the end is making sure that as a group we keep those rights so we all have something to sit on the forums and argue about.

tim12232 02-20-2012 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 18604879)
Being short and thin doesn't mean you get to jump to lethal force in every situation where you might need to defend yourself, so man up and reference my avatar.

No **** sherlock!!!! I also didnt say in every situation I would!!!
This was about OC, and if the sight of an OC gun is enough to make thug people stay away I am for it! I also prefer to not go to stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid things! Situational awareness is top priority! :rofl::rofl: I just figured out what DMF means!!!!!!

Misty02 02-20-2012 08:36

I donít OC and not only because it is not allowed in my state, even if it was, I donít think it would be for me. There are people that OC for all the wrong reasons, at the wrong time and at the wrong place. While it is none of my business, I donít think those people should OC either (personal opinion, nothing more). Conversely, I see nothing wrong with someone that OC and goes about their business without the intent to antagonize others, I even find myself agreeing with those that OC with a smile, a good disposition and the willingness to answer questions and satisfy the curiosity of others.

OC is taboo in many places where it is allowed because not enough people do it thus others become alarmed at the sight. There is but one way to effectively change that, you canít get people used to seeing something unless they are exposed to it more frequently. If done often enough by the right people, at the right time, their perception would change with time. Expecting things to change overnight or when their exposure is to those that thrive in antagonizing others is just not very realistic.

There is little doubt in my mind that even I would be a tad shocked (not in a bad way) at first if they passed OC in Florida. It would take a little time before I got used to it. No doubt, it would take more work to convince others that are not as receptive; here is where we go back to the right people at the right time until most get used to it. There will be lots of interaction with the police, how that OC handles the interaction will have great influence on how it is accepted by others.

RussP 02-20-2012 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 18599868)
My thoughts on open carry?

It's legal in some places, and it's stupid in all places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by G30Mike (Post 18600164)
So if OC was the only legal means to carry a gun then you'd leave yourself defenseless? Sad.....
Quote:

You've been called on that rhetorical question.

I commented, but you didn't respond.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RussP (Post 18604551)
If that were the only option, yes.

However, in Virginia, a person 18 years old or older may carry a handgun for self defense, but only those 21 years old or older may carry concealed.

The only way persons between 18 and 21 can carry is openly.

I know of individuals who on principal choose not to pay the Commonwealth's fee and undergo the background check required for a Concealed Handgun Permit. They carry openly. When Virginia chooses to join the ranks of Constitutional Carry States, they will carry concealed.

In Virginia, open carry is the only way everyone who chooses to, if they are not otherwise prohibited from owning and possessing firearms, can carry a handgun for self defense.

Are you saying those persons in Virginia should not carry for defense against attack by people armed with clubs, knives, guns, or who have superior size and perhaps numbers?
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim12232 (Post 18604515)
stop the pissing contest boys! I am a shorter thinner built guy and if someone bigger than i came up and attacked I really dont have much in terms of self defense! That could be the case with G30mike? An elderly person wouldnt have much defense against a young thug! Your quoted post, is a fail imho:upeyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 18604879)

Who said they would "jump to lethal force in every situation where you might need to defend yourself," other than you? Are you assuming that everyone who carries will just go immediately to deadly force?
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 18604889)

No, he did not say without a gun he is defenseless, you said that about him.

I'm curious, how many people who open carry do you know personally? I don't mean people on the internet you just read about. How much interaction have you had with people who open carry?

I look forward to your answers...

RussP 02-20-2012 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim12232 (Post 18605633)
No **** sherlock!!!! I also didnt say in every situation I would!!!
This was about OC, and if the sight of an OC gun is enough to make thug people stay away I am for it! I also prefer to not go to stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid things! Situational awareness is top priority!

A friend, a cop, PMed me this morning about another forum. He mentioned that he remembers when they "were on board with your "when and where appropriate" and dressing to minimize the firearm." Your "not go to stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid things!" fits right in there. :thumbsup:

ghstface38 02-20-2012 12:09

Please stop responding to the OP. Seriously.