Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Women's Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Purse Gun: Because you never know when your purse will attack you. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401703)

OliveDrabGreen 02-14-2012 11:03

Purse Gun: Because you never know when your purse will attack you.

Hi All! I'm considering purchasing a Glock (first gun) and am wavering between a Baby Glock and a 22 4th Gen (so I can adjust the backstrap). Any suggestions? current users? advisors? Thanks.

TXMary 02-15-2012 21:51

My first gun was a glock 19--I bought it because it would be the most versital for all purposes-carry-and range work.
I have since bought a glock 26 which will eventually be my primary carry gun-at least that is my plan right now.

ithaca_deerslayer 02-16-2012 14:40

I'm a man, but my wife is a woman :)

She doesn't like my G26 because of the stubby grip that you can't get all fingers on. But she likes my G17 gen4. So she's been thinking about a G19 gen4 for herself.

Some say just put an extension on the mag of a G26 to get a better grip, but I don't think that really works to well. My own opinion is either curl your pinky under or else go to the longer grip of the G19 sized gun. I like the G26 for carry, but much prefer my G17 for shooting. All because of the grip (well, that and the increased sight radius).

The gen4 is nice because it allows you to reduce the grip diameter if you want. And for me, it also effectively changed the angle of the grip. I like a 1911 grip angle, but old Glocks were too different, but the gen 4 feels in my hand closer to a 1911. Could all be mental, but that's how it feels to me.

Obviously, best to head to a gun store and see which gun holds the best for you :)

OliveDrabGreen 02-16-2012 23:23

Thank you for the feedback, guys. I appreciate your input and am looking forward to making a decision. I really enjoy hearing peoples' experiences. It's half the pleasure of owning a weapon.

yukon2004 02-17-2012 08:08

My wife is going to get her concealed carry, probably this summer. I was thinking about getting her either a Glock 26 or 27. My question is for the ladies: when you don't have your purse, how do you carry? I have seen the thigh holsters that would work if you are wearing a dress... but what about if you are wearing jeans and a shirt? Thanks!

05DodgeDakota 02-18-2012 03:42

If your going to primarily carry it in your purse, may I suggest getting a revolver. Specifically a double action one with a shrounded hammer. With a revolver you could actually fire through your purse at a would be attacker. If you tried that with a semi-auto, you'd most likely only get one shot off. The other contents of the purse could keep the gun from cycling correctly, or even knock it out of battery. If you have a jam or misfire with a semi-auto, you must perform a clearence drill, but with a revolver you simiply pull the trigger again.

alba666 02-18-2012 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05DodgeDakota (Post 18596075)
If your going to primarily carry it in your purse, may I suggest getting a revolver. Specifically a double action one with a shrounded hammer. With a revolver you could actually fire through your purse at a would be attacker. If you tried that with a semi-auto, you'd most likely only get one shot off. The other contents of the purse could keep the gun from cycling correctly, or even knock it out of battery. If you have a jam or misfire with a semi-auto, you must perform a clearence drill, but with a revolver you simiply pull the trigger again.

If my wife's purse is any example, you would never find a loose revolver fast enough around all the other flotsam. :-)
I am concerned about a ND without the trigger covered (even with a revolver). If gun is holstered (i.e. trigger covered), you have to clear the holster anyway.
Also, the purse handles or strap become a liability if they are grabbed while the gun hand is in the purse (as the gun hand can be pulled off target and controlled).
Most women either carry their purse in their off hand (and would be cross-drawing anyway to get on target) or on their shoulder.

IMHO, whatever the firearm, it should be drawn clear of whatever it's in to a retention position.

To the OP, get the gun you are confident shooting then find a way to carry that works for you. I have carried a G23 in an Alabama Holster Co. kydex pocket holster. Their purse holster is very similar.

Real women have real bodies with lotsa curves so I can hug'em really tight and not get bruises!

ithaca_deerslayer 02-18-2012 06:54

As to purse carry itself, my wife's purse is designed to carry a gun. Has a separate zipper at one end of the purse that opens a holster compartment.

She carries the purse under her weakside arm, like normal, with the special holster end facing her strongside hand. Up to her whether the zipper is open or closed, and whether her strongside hand is inserted and holding pistol grip or not.

Note I'm just using the terms weakside and strongside, instead of left and right.

Most of the time an inside the waitband (IWB) holster is the normal way she carries. A bellyband holster is useful for if you want on the body, but can't do a conventionsl IWB because of lack of a belt. Fannypack holster is also good for that situation.

As a guy, I like ankle holster and pocket carry for something really small and light such as an LCP. 380, but I rarely see my wife carry that way. Except for jackets or coats, most women's clothes don't have have good ankle coverage or big pockets.

Neither of us has tried shoulder holsters, but I've read experts saying they might be worth trying for a woman. If she ever tries a thigh holster I want to be there to see that :rofl: That would seem more fantasy than practical, but what do I know.

Misty02 02-18-2012 07:17

I carry a G19 daily. Personally, I donít like the idea of purse carry (but it seems to work for others). Most of my clothing is of soft material without belt loops. I opted for an in between and carry mostly in a fanny-pack, when the temperature is cooler in a belly band with a second layer (usually an open blouse or blazer) to better conceal.

If you are going to carry in a purse, may I suggest one that is carried across the chest with the purse resting on the opposite hip of where the shoulder strap lays? Of course, that would mean that purse stays on you regardless of where you go (even a friendís house or while eating at a restaurant). The purse should have a built in holster that stays securely in place if you need to draw, there should be no other objects in that compartment that can accidentally get into the trigger guard.

Have fun and enjoy the journey of finding the best carry method for you!
:wavey:

yukon2004 02-19-2012 11:43

I was thinking about letting my wife choose between one of the purses that is specifically designed for concealed gun carry, but I'm also trying to figure out a good way for her to carry on her person, instead of in a bag. It may just come down to this: if she wants to carry one on her person bad enough, she will maybe have to slightly change what she's going to wear, to make sure she can properly conceal and be the most comfortable.

MrsUzi4U 02-27-2012 21:52

Misty, are you comfortable jogging with your gun in your fanny pack? What gun do you carry?

Misty02 04-01-2012 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsUzi4U (Post 18641030)
Misty, are you comfortable jogging with your gun in your fanny pack? What gun do you carry?

Oops, I’m sorry I had not responded. I don’t jog; we have almost a full gym at home if I want to exercise, including a bike and a rowing machine. I have gone in the past for brisk walks and it is comfortable. I don’t believe it would be all that comfortable while running or jogging, unless you do it in a way that prevents the constant lift and reseting back against your pelvic bone. I carry a G19.

Clay1 04-01-2012 22:22

Here's a nice piece done on selecting a handgun for women: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-bes...r-women/13411/
While products like the Galco line of purses seem like a grand idea at first let me ask you, if you get mugged what would the mugger want first? Probably your purse and there goes your gun. I like the idea of on body carry much better than off body carry like a purse or a fanny pack.

Good luck making your decision.

OliveDrabGreen 04-01-2012 23:38

The Baby Glock and the Daddy Glock

1 Attachment(s)
My husband just bought me this Glock 27 Gen 4 today. I am pleased as punch. I shall call it "Sweetie Darling." I'm posting a photo of it next to his Glock 22 for comparison. Cheers dears.

Misty02 04-02-2012 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OliveDrabGreen (Post 18789884)
My husband just bought me this Glock 27 Gen 4 today. I am pleased as punch. I shall call it "Sweetie Darling." I'm posting a photo of it next to his Glock 22 for comparison. Cheers dears.

Awesome! Enjoy your time at the range. :)

Misty02 04-02-2012 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay1 (Post 18789634)
Here's a nice piece done on selecting a handgun for women: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-bes...r-women/13411/
While products like the Galco line of purses seem like a grand idea at first let me ask you, if you get mugged what would the mugger want first? Probably your purse and there goes your gun. I like the idea of on body carry much better than off body carry like a purse or a fanny pack.

Good luck making your decision.

Many women have to make certain compromises in order to carry. Although visible, unlike something carried under clothes, I donít consider a fanny-pack as off body carry. There is no way someone can snatch and walk away with my fanny-pack, itís worn tight and impossible for someone to take off me, unless I stand still and allow it (sturdy clip on the right front side).

Bren 04-02-2012 05:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OliveDrabGreen (Post 18577961)
Hi All! I'm considering purchasing a Glock (first gun) and am wavering between a Baby Glock and a 22 4th Gen (so I can adjust the backstrap). Any suggestions? current users? advisors? Thanks.

Those are guns for very different uses. What do you plan to use it for?

The baby glock is the obvious choice for concealed carry, the 22 is better for competition, or open carry (i.e., in the woods, law enforcement, etc.) or home defense.

If it's a first Glock and you want it to be multiple purpose, a compact, like a 19 or 23, might be better than a subcompact or full size, as some others have said.

EDIT: never mind, I see that you alreayd have one. The 27 is my favorite Glock and the only one I use for anything other than competition.

Arc Angel 04-02-2012 05:20

Well, ...... just about all of the women I know who carry a pistol carry it inside a handbag. (Some quite sloppily.) Trust me, I've tried; but there is no way I'm going to get my wife to wear a gun on her waist; and she won't use the expensive DeSantis fanny pack I bought her, either. (Anybody want a good price on a brand new, and unused, DeSantis fanny pack?)

Tomorrow is her birthday. I'm going to surprise her with a high security, under-the-shoulder, 'sling handbag' - One with a dedicated pocket for the carry of a butt-forward and muzzle-down handgun. On an educated guess I'm going to say that better than 75% of the women I know who carry a handgun are doing it with a revolver in their purse.

(Personally, I wouldn't want a woman with a C-1 Glock in her purse anywhere around me or mine.)

Misty02 04-02-2012 05:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arc Angel (Post 18790245)
Well, ...... just about all of the women I know who carry a pistol carry it inside a handbag. (Some quite sloppily.) Trust me, I've tried; but there is no way I'm going to get my wife to wear a gun on her waist; and she won't use the expensive DeSantis fanny pack I bought her, either. (Anybody want a good price on a brand new, and unused, DeSantis fanny pack?)

Tomorrow is her birthday. I'm going to surprise her with a high security, under-the-shoulder, 'sling handbag' - One with a dedicated pocket for the carry of a butt-forward and muzzle-down handgun. On an educated guess I'm going to say that better than 75% of the women I know who carry a handgun are doing it with a revolver in their purse.

(Personally, I wouldn't want a woman with a C-1 Glock in her purse anywhere around me or mine.)

You had gotten her this one? http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-504-s Mine is like that where the G19 sits and love it! I have bought a total of 4, one used worned out and discarded, I'm on the second one now and have two back-ups. If it wasn't for the reserved ones, I would buy yours. The ones I have are from Roma Leather, sturdy and not so bad looking. :)

Arc Angel 04-02-2012 05:47

I bought her the one the guy with the funny turquoise pants is wearing - The R-60.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum11689.php

(Which I see has recently taken a real nosedive in price!)

1canvas 04-05-2012 21:17

my wife carries in a gun purse and I think its not a good place to carry. I think of purse snatching and the fact that it isn't easy access. looking at holsters its just hard to find one that she would like. she is tall and thin and thinks she is 24 so her pants are tight. I ask her why her clothes have to fit so snug and she says cause I can:rofl:.

Arc Angel 04-05-2012 22:11

I used to have a very attractive sister-in-law who was a New Jersey State Police Detective. She always carried a large Smith & Wesson revolver in her handbag; and THAT was her form of regulation carry. (I really liked her, and wish she were still in the family.)

MrsUzi4U 04-10-2012 21:32

I've purse carried with a zippered compartment. It was fine. It did start getting heavy and cutting into my shoulder. I prefer the fanny pack for activities. The one I have now, just seems to say " gun". I'm looking at these:

http://www.gungear.com/ez-catalog/X300536/3

A little more style and some color.

surefire21 04-10-2012 21:40

I was going to advocate a revolver double action and shrouded and still do for a second firearms purchase. That being said your Glock can fire through your purse for one round and in an emergency that can mean life or death and I advise practicing with an old purse. To keep your Glock in battery when in contact with something that would otherwise push it out of battery press your thumb firmly against the rear of the slide. Scary as hell the first time you do it cause you think the slides gonna break your finger bu with good contact it's easy as cake and gives you another tool in your tool box.

ithaca_deerslayer 04-11-2012 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by surefire21 (Post 18828700)
I was going to advocate a revolver double action and shrouded and still do for a second firearms purchase. That being said your Glock can fire through your purse for one round and in an emergency that can mean life or death and I advise practicing with an old purse. To keep your Glock in battery when in contact with something that would otherwise push it out of battery press your thumb firmly against the rear of the slide. Scary as hell the first time you do it cause you think the slides gonna break your finger bu with good contact it's easy as cake and gives you another tool in your tool box.

Can you say more about what you are suggesting with the thumb behind the slide?