Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Is this the right choice? DD or Custom Built? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399124)

JBarbaresi 02-02-2012 20:13

Is this the right choice? DD or Custom Built?
 
I am not new to the world of AR's, per se, I've been in the Army for over 10 years now. I am new, however, to learning about all the little intricacies, options, and models available. In all my research I am almost decided that for my first AR purchase I will go with the Daniel Defense DDM4V5. I know Daniel Defense has a great reputation and that this rifle will do everything I would probably need it to do once I get it set up with a few extras.

I can purchase online for a little over $1200 after shipping and transfer fees. I know I will be adding an optic of some sort, a set of BUIS, a Battle Comp 1.0 or 2.0, grip, and maybe a few other minor mods like a sling and such. I figure I can have it completely set up for around $1800-$2000.

My other option that I am bouncing back and forth between is having Centurion Arms build me a 14.5" LW upper using a MUR, 12" C4 Rail, welded Battle Comp 1.5 to stay legal, Gas Buster, and their bolt group. The upper alone from Centurion would be around $1450 and I would pair it up with a complete lower from someone else (still undecided), but figure even on the higher end the lower will be around $450. That will already have me in the $2000 range for just the rifle.

I know it seems like a no brainer, but I want to make sure I get this right on the first go-around. I'd rather spend the extra money now instead of regretting something and having to eat some of that cost down the road and buying a replacement.

I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with the rifle, mostly just some backyard fun, zombie control, goofing off, and possible getting into competition down the road.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks.

MrMurphy 02-03-2012 02:35

Stick with the DD, or get a BCM or Colt.

JBarbaresi 02-03-2012 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMurphy (Post 18524345)
Stick with the DD, or get a BCM or Colt.

i was also looking at the BMC Recce-14. any thoughts on it compared to the DDm4V5?

boomhower 02-03-2012 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBarbaresi (Post 18524770)
i was also looking at the BMC Recce-14. any thoughts on it compared to the DDm4V5?

Equal quality. Go with whichever you like better. I'm partial to DD myself, own two of them. Im eying a V7 as my third.

BBJones 02-03-2012 11:46

DD and Centurion are both top notch. Your price on the Centurion seems very high. I prefer their rail to DD (although both companies are top of the food chain). Attaches to stock barrel nut and easy to mount dismount; locks up tight. Centurion has a more accurate CL barrel. FN barrel finished by Centurion (similar to Noveske's N4 barrel). Double CL m249 steel yada yada ... long story short they are CL barrels that are step up from most in the accuracy dept but not SS accurate.

Why do you want a MUR upper on the Centurion? that might be throwing the price off. Contact Weapon Outfitters or JD Machine and see what they can do for you (both stock and Centurion products and build uppers etc). As for BCG I would use any of the following: BCM, DD, Colt, LMT.

Also did you ask for a mil discount? I bet they whack a bit off the price.

I own both a DD and Centurion and you can't go wrong with either. If I were to give advice to a friend that wanted one AR, I would say C4 rail and Centurion barrel.


ETA - why the gasbuster? Are you going to run suppressed? If not skip it. BCM Gunfighter would be my choice and save you 40-50.
ETA2 - Not sure if you are a follower of RB1 (Jason Falla) but I think he said he is coming out with a signature carbine with Centurion. Since it has his name on it might command a premium $.

JBarbaresi 02-03-2012 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBJones (Post 18525834)
DD and Centurion are both top notch. Your price on the Centurion seems very high. I prefer their rail to DD (although both companies are top of the food chain). Attaches to stock barrel nut and easy to mount dismount; locks up tight. Centurion has a more accurate CL barrel. FN barrel finished by Centurion (similar to Noveske's N4 barrel). Double CL m249 steel yada yada ... long story short they are CL barrels that are step up from most in the accuracy dept but not SS accurate.

Why do you want a MUR upper on the Centurion? that might be throwing the price off. Contact Weapon Outfitters or JD Machine and see what they can do for you (both stock and Centurion products and build uppers etc). As for BCG I would use any of the following: BCM, DD, Colt, LMT.

Also did you ask for a mil discount? I bet they whack a bit off the price.

I own both a DD and Centurion and you can't go wrong with either. If I were to give advice to a friend that wanted one AR, I would say C4 rail and Centurion barrel.


ETA - why the gasbuster? Are you going to run suppressed? If not skip it. BCM Gunfighter would be my choice and save you 40-50.
ETA2 - Not sure if you are a follower of RB1 (Jason Falla) but I think he said he is coming out with a signature carbine with Centurion. Since it has his name on it might command a premium $.

thanks for all the input. i am tracking RB1s upcoming AR release, but he is being so darn sneaky about any details other than collaborating with centurion. actually following his blogs and what not is what brought my attention to centurion. apparently he is testing out some piston systems now, i'm guessing it is still going to be quite a while before we see anything made available. i'm not very patient.

as far as the MUR, it is an added $130 and monty seems to recommend it pretty highly based off what i read on his website. seems worth it for a stronger and better quality controlled upper. the gas buster was just one of the options listed on the centurion, i guess i could skip the $90 charging handle and get the gunfighter which seems to be more highly recommended anyways. the bolt group from centurion is also $185, i haven't really shopped around or priced a decent bolt anywhere else so there may be some savings there as well.

i'll check out jd and weapon outfitters and see what their prices are, i'm guessing they can build a lower as well? my only hesitation with going the centurion/c4 route is warranty issues, it may be better to buy a complete factory gun in case i run into any problems. then again, i did figure out how to fix the pesky gen4 ejection issues before glock did...

BBJones 02-03-2012 18:01

Monty sure knows a helluva lot more than I ever will. I think he recommends the MUR for more of a SPR/accuracy build but who knows. As for warranty, don't know what to tell you. I build my own and thus I am my own warranty dept. If you start with quality parts and know what you are doing, not much warranty needed.

My main point is you are considering very good quality so you will be happy no matter what you get. Might want to look at BCM etc. What is your main goal for this rifle?

Also $185 for BCG is a rip-off (perhaps it is coated). BCM and DD are $125-140 and they are great.

JBarbaresi 02-03-2012 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBJones (Post 18527398)
Monty sure knows a helluva lot more than I ever will. I think he recommends the MUR for more of a SPR/accuracy build but who knows. As for warranty, don't know what to tell you. I build my own and thus I am my own warranty dept. If you start with quality parts and know what you are doing, not much warranty needed.

My main point is you are considering very good quality so you will be happy no matter what you get. Might want to look at BCM etc. What is your main goal for this rifle?

Also $185 for BCG is a rip-off (perhaps it is coated). BCM and DD are $125-140 and they are great.

thanks for the heads up about the BCG, I just priced a few and would agree that $185 is too much.

right now my main goal is really just to have a personal AR. i live on plenty enough property to shoot and play around in my backyard. i may want to get into some sort of competition shooting down the road. really just a general purpose/personal protection type long gun to have some fun with for now.

you guys have really opened up my eyes, i guess one of the reasons i've put off an AR for so long is because of how many freaking options there are to choose from. now with all the suggestions i've been checking out BCM quite a bit and i'm really liking what i see from them. i can customize an upper to suit my needs for around $1100 including BCM BCG, gunfighter charging handle, and Battle Comp 1.5 installed on a 14.5" barrel. Their blem lowers are $285 shipped which keeps me under $1500 for the rifle and about the same price as the DD after adding the BC 1.5 and gunfighter charging handle (if not slightly cheaper).

what to do, what to do... should i dare ask if it's worth looking into any piston systems?

MrMurphy 02-04-2012 02:44

Only two pistons out there i'd actually trust to work. HK, which is insanely expensive (and still has some issues, speaking to friends issued them in Norway), and LWRC.


Piston ARs don't do anything better than an issued M4 that's lubed and even halfway taken care of. They also move around more (accuracy issues) and depending on the manufacturer can get wear in odd places.

BCM's EAG model is out of the box, a good all-around rifle. Without having further specifications on an exact role, it's pretty close to what I'd build. My personal rifle has a few quirks, but it's pretty close to an issued M4 with some better components.

Mayhem like Me 02-04-2012 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBarbaresi (Post 18528623)
thanks for the heads up about the BCG, I just priced a few and would agree that $185 is too much.

right now my main goal is really just to have a personal AR. i live on plenty enough property to shoot and play around in my backyard. i may want to get into some sort of competition shooting down the road. really just a general purpose/personal protection type long gun to have some fun with for now.

you guys have really opened up my eyes, i guess one of the reasons i've put off an AR for so long is because of how many freaking options there are to choose from. now with all the suggestions i've been checking out BCM quite a bit and i'm really liking what i see from them. i can customize an upper to suit my needs for around $1100 including BCM BCG, gunfighter charging handle, and Battle Comp 1.5 installed on a 14.5" barrel. Their blem lowers are $285 shipped which keeps me under $1500 for the rifle and about the same price as the DD after adding the BC 1.5 and gunfighter charging handle (if not slightly cheaper).

what to do, what to do... should i dare ask if it's worth looking into any piston systems?

This is a great company and I know one guy that has put one of these through it's paces , he let me shoot a few rounds and it worked as should, The components are top drawer..
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2899

JBarbaresi 02-07-2012 21:45

thanks again guys for all the good advice. today i placed the last of the major components for this "build".

For the upper I decided on the BCM Standard 14.5" Mid-Length with DD Lite 12.0 guards. I had them perma weld a Battle Comp 1.5 to be compliant.

Also coming from BCM is their bolt carrier group, gunfighter mod 4 charging handle, and BCM/Troy folding front and rear BUIS.

the lower is also a complete BCM purchased from G&R. I added the Magpul MOE+ grip and MOE stock.

from brightflashlights.com i have an aimpoint micro H-1 4 MOA with larue LT660 mount and a surefire m300a mini scout with sr07 switch on a larue LT752 offset mount. i also snagged a couple packs of the surefire z70 rail ladders.

i'm going to give the tactical link single point stealth bungee sling a try, mounted to a tactical link Gen2 sling mount.

i still have to decide what to do for a forward control mount. i like the IWC hand stop but i'm also considering a magpul rvg or afg.

i'll post some pics when it all gets put together, it will be a few weeks before i get the lower.

MrMurphy 02-08-2012 02:46

I dislike bungie slings, I had an M4 w/M203 mounted nearly break my jaw once when I had to drop it. Snapped my head clear and took the hit on the side of the MICH but it was a near thing.

d90king 02-08-2012 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMurphy (Post 18528905)
Only two pistons out there i'd actually trust to work. HK, which is insanely expensive (and still has some issues, speaking to friends issued them in Norway), and LWRC.


Piston ARs don't do anything better than an issued M4 that's lubed and even halfway taken care of. They also move around more (accuracy issues) and depending on the manufacturer can get wear in odd places.

BCM's EAG model is out of the box, a good all-around rifle. Without having further specifications on an exact role, it's pretty close to what I'd build. My personal rifle has a few quirks, but it's pretty close to an issued M4 with some better components.

I would add LMT pistons to your list. Very solid rifles (MRP CQB Piston) every bit as solid as my LWRCI M6A3. I agree on the 416's also. I'm waiting on a 14.5 which should be here before to long.

JBarbaresi 02-08-2012 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMurphy (Post 18546528)
I dislike bungie slings, I had an M4 w/M203 mounted nearly break my jaw once when I had to drop it. Snapped my head clear and took the hit on the side of the MICH but it was a near thing.

i've had similar experience and opinions of bungee slings in the past. check out the tactical link stealth, it is made a little different and i don't think bounce should be an issue. i mean hell, it comes with a disclaimer that you need to be able to bench at least 90lbs, lol.

Boxerglocker 02-08-2012 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by swatbwana (Post 18529549)
This is a great company and I know one guy that has put one of these through it's paces , he let me shoot a few rounds and it worked as should, The components are top drawer..
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2899

+1 for Rainier Arms....

I have a RUC 14.5 on order hopefully to be completed next week. I ordered one of the first 100 and got the free Geissele SSA trigger upgrade. The only other add-on I have requested is a Noveske QD end plate to run a single point sling as needed.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/...a4dd731c5a.jpg

d90king 02-08-2012 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxerglocker (Post 18547484)
+1 for Rainier Arms....

I have a RUC 14.5 on order hopefully to be completed next week. I ordered one of the first 100 and got the free Geissele SSA trigger upgrade. The only other add-on I have requested is a Noveske QD end plate to run a single point sling as needed.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/...a4dd731c5a.jpg

They do a nice job at Ranier. That looks like a nice rifle.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.