Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Backup Weapon for CCW (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1398941)

YtownGlock 02-02-2012 00:42

Backup Weapon for CCW

I have a buddy who carries a Glock 19 as his primary ccw weapon and (I can't remember the name of the other gun) a subcompact 9mm on his ankle on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time though.

I currently have only a Glock 23 Gen4 and am contemplating getting a Glock 27 Gen4 and wearing it on my ankle as well.

Does anyone else carry two guns? I've seen a lot of the veteran youtube gun community channels talk about this subject and it seems some people do in fact carry a backup.

What are you thoughts and opinions for carrying a backup ccw weapon? Depending on what state you live in, are you allowed legally to carry more than one weapon/handgun concealed? etc etc etc.

xmanhockey7 02-02-2012 00:54

Most states do not have a law regarding the number of guns you can carry. I know NM sets it at one concealed gun. Personally I thinking carry a BUG is a great idea. You never know what may go wrong with your primary. And having 2 guns that can accept the same mags (assuming you use at least a 13 rd G23 mag) you have a great amount of firepower. If I were you I'd have flush mags in each and all back up mags would be G22 15 rd mags.

JuneyBooney 02-02-2012 00:55

I have carried firearms like that on occasion and it is smart to carry the same caliber. I know a trooper who carries two 27...one on each ankle and then his primary weapon. In reality most people will never use the back ups ever.

Bodyarmorguy 02-02-2012 01:04

My normal routine is a Glock 22, 23 or Colt Gov't on my waist, backed up by a Glock 27 on my ankle if I am wearing long pants.

Many folks subscribe to back up guns, but most usually in the form of a .22, .32, .380 or the like. My particular thought on this subject is that if your primary gun goes down for whatever reason, your back up gun just became your primary gun. So.....if I wouldn't carry that .22, .32. 380 et al as a primary, why rely on it as back up? Just food for thought..

MinnesnowtaWild 02-02-2012 01:25

Not my cup of tea at all. On duty, yes I will have a back up gun. As a citizen with a concealed carry I see no reason to carry a back up gun. I would rather just carry an extra mag or two.

mrsurfboard 02-02-2012 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaWild (Post 18519811)
Not my cup of tea at all. On duty, yes I will have a back up gun. As a citizen with a concealed carry I see no reason to carry a back up gun. I would rather just carry an extra mag or two.

Agreed!

Dalton Wayne 02-02-2012 02:56

This is my everyday carry setup
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/100_1895.jpg

WASR10 02-02-2012 03:36

In my state you can only legally carry 3 specific guns. All at once or one at a time doesn't matter.

I generally carry a G23 gen 3, but sometimes a .38 snubbie. In theory the .38 could be a BUG to the .40, but I have always carried a reload instead.

YtownGlock 02-02-2012 06:04

Quote:

I ccw with 2 extra mags and have been doing so since I got my CHL. But I have to agree with a few other posts that it would be a good idea to have a backup if for whatever reason my primary weapon failed to perform.

JBL13 02-02-2012 07:21

I usually carry a .38 LCR as backup in a De Santis Nemesis holster in a cargo pants/shorts pocket. The LCR is occasionally primary (with no other backup) when wardrobe considerations make that an easy option.

ca survivor 02-02-2012 07:29

When I'm traveling by car, I have on a 642 on my ankle just for easy reach when siting down

maddy345 02-02-2012 09:47

I carry a G23 Gen 4 in a TT Gunleather IWB holster with a G27 Gen 4 as BUG either in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster or on my ankle in a Desantis Die Hard.

I don't always carry a BUG but if I go into Raleigh or Durham or I'm on the road I will.

dave27 02-02-2012 10:19

Not for me. Personally, I think it tends to be a sign people are focusing way too much on something that is only a small part of personal security (CCW).

But, if it makes you more comfortable go for it, who am I to tell you what to carry. I already have too much crap on my belt/pockets. (Leatherman/light/2 pagers/phone/wallet/Glock 19) I usually don't even carry a spare mag. :wavey:

Donn57 02-02-2012 10:20

Quote:

Yeah, I get it. Loaded extra mags are heavy so you can always hit your attacker with one if your primary weapon is no longer an option for whatever reason.

JDMitchell 02-02-2012 10:41

I have a renegade ankle holster for the G27/26/33 if you are interested.

Shameless plug over.

I like the comfort of my ankle holster but with my big legs I print in all my pants. I'll keep my G27 at the 4 o'clock and carry a BUG cross draw.

Donn57 02-02-2012 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by YtownGlock (Post 18519740)
Does anyone else carry two guns? I've seen a lot of the veteran youtube gun community channels talk about this subject and it seems some people do in fact carry a backup.

Yep, although I long ago gave up ankle carry as an option. If I can carry one gun on my waist, I can carry two. The two I carry are Colt six-shot .38 Special D frames.

9mmParabellum 02-02-2012 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by YtownGlock (Post 18519740)
I have a buddy who carries a Glock 19 as his primary ccw weapon and (I can't remember the name of the other gun) a subcompact 9mm on his ankle on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time though.

I currently have only a Glock 23 Gen4 and am contemplating getting a Glock 27 Gen4 and wearing it on my ankle as well.

What are you thoughts and opinions for carrying a backup ccw weapon? Depending on what state you live in, are you allowed legally to carry more than one weapon/handgun concealed? etc etc etc.

I carry a .38spl

Magicmanmb 02-02-2012 11:29

On duty I have a .357 on my ankle. Off duty an extra mag, a 1 cell 120 lumen light in my pocket & a zip tie cuff in my badge wallet just in case. Wife has her CCW, 3 speed load strips for her J frame or an extra mag depending on which she carries & a small flashlight.

Quarter Tank 02-02-2012 11:36

I just started carrying an extra mag. i havent begun to venture into a whole 'nother gun yet. when so, I'll pick me up a G36 for it.

harrygunner 02-02-2012 14:06

'mark1616' I should mention the "three gun limit" is the policy of some California counties, not a state limit written as law. I've had as many as six guns on my permit.

I add a J-frame in an ankle holster when driving long distances. It's less about having a backup and more about having a gun I can reach easily while seated.