Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Another Day, another Gold Dot shooting for the NYPD (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1398417)

Brooklyn123456 01-30-2012 18:04

Another Day, another Gold Dot shooting for the NYPD

Sorry, I don't know if he used a 9mm or a .38 either way they are both Gold Dots. 9mm 124+P or .38 135 grain +P. If anyone has intimate knowledge what was used, please fill us in.

A police detective shot and killed a man who allegedly tried to mug him on Grove Street near Broadway in Bushwick, Brooklyn, on January 29, 2012. (DNAinfo/Nick Rizzi)

By Nick Rizzi and Wil Cruz

DNAinfo Staff

BUSHWICK — An off-duty police detective shot and killed a man who allegedly tried to rob him in Bushwick late Sunday by attacking him with a cane, NYPD officials said.

Antwain White, 17, of Brooklyn, was killed after he and an accomplice allegedly approached an off-duty officer walking to work from the J train's Gates Avenue subway station, at 11:49 p.m., police said.

White allegedly struck the detective with a cane on his face while the other suspect allegedly grabbed the detective's arm and pretended he had a gun, according to NYPD officials.

Police said the detective ordered White to stop and displayed his shield and identified himself as an officer. The teen, however, did not stop, officials said, and the detective opened fire, shooting the alleged would-be mugger in once the chest.

White was taken from the scene in front of 22 Grove St., near Broadway, to Woodhull Hospital, where he died, police said.

The detective was taken to Wyckoff Hospital for treatment. His condition was not immediately clear.

The second suspect, reportedly a 15-year-old, was caught early Monday morning and was being questioned about his potential involvement in the attack, police said. As of noon Monday, he had not been charged, police said.

People who live in the neighborhood said the shooting happened on a block that is poorly lit and where there have been a lot of robberies lately. The block has apartment buildings on one side, and vacant land on the other.

"There's been a lot of muggings, a lot of gangs," said 22-year-old Bushwick resident David Rodriguez. “I walk down this area everyday. It's dark. Some of these light don't work."

He added, "It's been rough out here. We should have some more cops on duty."

Another resident, Juan Gomez, 42, said that when he walks Grove Street to the subway station at night, he stays in the middle of the street because it’s safer than the sidewalks.

"There's been a lot of activity on this block. Like robbing people, breaking the windows of cars, Gomez said.

The shooting marks the second time in as many weeks that an off-duty cop shot a man. A lieutenant fatally shot an armed suspect in Cypress Hills on Thursday, police said.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that the shootings have to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

"I think it’s always a mixed bag and you have to look, just very carefully, look at every time there is a shooting to make sure that nobody is abusing the fact that they are allowed to carry a gun,” he told reporters at an unrelated press conference in Queens.

Still, he continued, "I think we expect them, in fact, when they’re in their private lives to come to the rescue of other people," he said. "There’s an expectation that the police officer doesn’t leave responsibility or training at the office, if you will."

unit1069 01-30-2012 18:14

From the article:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn123456 (Post 18509271)
"There's been a lot of muggings, a lot of gangs," said 22-year-old Bushwick resident David Rodriguez. “I walk down this area everyday. It's dark. Some of these light don't work."

He added, "It's been rough out here. We should have some more cops on duty."

I do hope that when "community groups" show up to protest another police shooting of an alleged "victim" that this guy and others step forward to counter the protesters' claims that the police are an "occupying force" meant to intimidate and suppress said "community".

PS: Let me add that I'm so disappointed in NYC Mayor Bloomberg's weak sister approach to the safety of New York City residents, regardless of their neighborhoods. It's no wonder why his political aspirations can't get past the Holland Tunnel given the way he defaults to Radical Left aspersions on sworn LEO testimony.

Quote:

"I think it’s always a mixed bag and you have to look, just very carefully, look at every time there is a shooting to make sure that nobody is abusing the fact that they are allowed to carry a gun,” he told reporters at an unrelated press conference in Queens.

New York City, you can certainly do a whole lot better the next time you go to the polls to elect a new mayor.

packinaglock 01-30-2012 18:45

Love to see good triumph over evil!

cowboy1964 01-30-2012 18:48

If you're underarmed with a good 9mm JHP, you're underarmed period and it's time for the long guns.

Tiro Fijo 01-30-2012 18:59

Bloomberg is a total POS tool. I wouldn't vote for that moron for dogcatcher. :upeyes:

Rodman24 01-30-2012 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn123456 (Post 18509271)
Mayor Michael Bloomberg - "I think it’s always a mixed bag and you have to look, just very carefully, look at every time there is a shooting to make sure that nobody is abusing the fact that they are allowed to carry a gun"

Wow! What a duck!

tsmo1066 01-30-2012 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 18509487)
If you're underarmed with a good 9mm JHP, you're underarmed period and it's time for the long guns.

Well said!

dkf 01-30-2012 20:28

Its a good thing only off duty LEOs get mugged.:upeyes: The residents of NYC well FU.:steamed:

PghJim 01-30-2012 23:12

It was good it was an off duty police. If had been anyone else they would have been beaten to death with a cane. All of the off duty shooting in NYC say a lot for the need for more CC.

G36shooter 01-31-2012 18:25

Sad to read that the police are 'allowed' to carry a handgun and can protect themselves from a violent attack, but the law-abiding citizens are left defensless. Way to go Bloomberg. Living safe and armed in Michigan.

ViennaGambit 01-31-2012 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit1069 (Post 18509325)

PS: Let me add that I'm so disappointed in NYC Mayor Bloomberg's weak sister approach to the safety of New York City residents, regardless of their neighborhoods.

New York City, you can certainly do a whole lot better the next time you go to the polls to elect a new mayor.

I agree.

I left NYC in November and rather glad. I have seen the city headed downhill with regards to filth and an increased homeless presence over the past 5 years.

There is a NOTICEABLE difference in both since Giuliani left.

DonGlock26 02-04-2012 14:46

It's nice to see the Golddot felon repellant applied liberally in NYC.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...mbs_Up_Bro.gif

_

unit1069 02-04-2012 18:24

Michael Bloomberg is a Democrat-turned-Republican who made the switch (correctly) believing it would help him get elected mayor.

I get the suspicion watching him over the past couple of years that Bloomberg is preparing to switch back to being a Democrat.