Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sights, Optics and Lasers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Good night sites that work in the day? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386621)

TexasGlockster 12-09-2011 14:32

Good night sites that work in the day?
 
What is a good brand/model of night sights that will work well during the day? I've heard a lot about how amazing Trijicon night sights are but also seen a lot of criticism that they are almost impossible to use at the range.

Also, just because it randomly occurred to me, what the heck is the difference between novak sights and regular sights? Is it just look?

Edit...thought of another question...is there a distinct advantage or disadvantage to fiber optic?

DWARREN123 12-09-2011 14:40

One of the best dual use sight is Truglo's TFOs. Just my opinion.
They show up well in the dark and light but they are larger than most sight sets. :supergrin:

sr975j 12-09-2011 14:41

+1 for TFO's. great day or night.

Sam

bushytail77 12-09-2011 14:43

Check out Ameriglo ProGlo front sights. I use them with the green tritium in front and the yellow Pro-Operator sight in the rear. Very nice for both day and low light shooting.

wheelman707 12-09-2011 14:57

The tritium night sights that came on my desert warrior are amazing at night or in low lit areas and insanely bright the last time I shot outside at IDPA. I think the brand is Meprolight. If I could look at it and tell you I would but Im currently over seas at the moment.

BamaTrooper 12-09-2011 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGlockster (Post 18264851)
What is a good brand/model of night sights that will work well during the day? I've heard a lot about how amazing Trijicon night sights are but also seen a lot of criticism that they are almost impossible to use at the range.

Also, just because it randomly occurred to me, what the heck is the difference between novak sights and regular sights? Is it just look?

Edit...thought of another question...is there a distinct advantage or disadvantage to fiber optic?

During the day, you want something that helps you orient the front sight. Fiber optic helps on some days more so than others. It doesn't seem to hinder in any way, but it isn't much use for me when it gets dark.

I use a Sevigny night sight front sight and a plain rear sight. The dot glows at night and the white circle is good for daylight use.

vafish 12-09-2011 15:01

I have trijicon and xs big dot sights. Both work just fine in day light.

imaguy3 12-09-2011 15:06

i'm using the "pro" version of these... http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...ete-sets/i-dot

the pro's can either have a lime green or red front dot (both have tritium in middle). The lime green has luminescent paint in it, so it stands out like a fiber optic during the day and glows like a huge green orb at night... I love them!

post #25 is great pictures! http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...php?p=17671966

this is the front site part #GL-212-220-GR-C
the rear is gl-101r

I had to wait 2 mths for the front to come back in stock and they sell out quick. They don't have it listed as a "complete set" on their site but you can order the front and rear seperately, just give them a call and they can hook you up

Chesafreak 12-09-2011 15:11

+1 for Truglo TFO's. In daylight, the fiber optic rods are bright, and at night the tritium makes the fiber glow.

barth 12-09-2011 15:14

XS Systems 24/7 Express Big Dots
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGlockster (Post 18264851)
What is a good brand/model of night sights that will work well during the day? I've heard a lot about how amazing Trijicon night sights are but also seen a lot of criticism that they are almost impossible to use at the range.

Also, just because it randomly occurred to me, what the heck is the difference between novak sights and regular sights? Is it just look?

Edit...thought of another question...is there a distinct advantage or disadvantage to fiber optic?

XS Systems 24/7 Express Big Dots
The 24/7 stands for ALL lighting conditions.

24/7 Express Sights
http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ts&sID=handgun

The Original fast acquisition sight enhanced with our 24/7 Tritium rear sight.

XS 24/7 Express sights are the finest sights made for fast sight acquisition in all light conditions. Day Light, Half-Light, or Low-Light, just "dot the I". Fast, simple and effective. This is the ultimate self defense sight system that provides sights you can see around the clock.

Features:
Enhances sight acquisition in all light conditions
Ultimate "Flash Sight" picture
Excels in high stress defensive situations
Improves Low-Light accuracy
Low profile, snag free design
Available with Big Dot Tritium or Standard Dot Tritium front sight
Trijicon® Tritium vials
http://www.steelcityarmory.com/media...l-0001s5_1.jpg

bentbiker 12-09-2011 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGlockster (Post 18264851)
What is a good brand/model of night sights that will work well during the day?

If you think that ANY brand of night sight will benefit from a glowing vial during daylight from the tritium, that is just not the case. The tritium fiber optics glow in both daylight and darkness.

kashdaddy 12-09-2011 16:30

trijicon warranty and customer sucks.............ameriglo has the best price, warranty and customer service. truglo are good day and night, but the chemicals will eat it up quickly. any tritium alone will not show good in the day, but will show good in the night.........and any fiber will not show good in the night, but will show good in the day. The idea is to get something with tritium if you want self defense and with ameriglo you can get the bright orange ring or yellow ring to assist in the day, which i have found to be much faster in the day and night than the all fiber. ameriglo offer the best combination selection.

packinaglock 12-09-2011 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWARREN123 (Post 18264876)
One of the best dual use sight is Truglo's TFOs. Just my opinion.
They show up well in the dark and light but they are larger than most sight sets. :supergrin:

Love these, I got 4 sets

Bruce M 12-09-2011 17:17

I have several sets of the TFO sights now working fine. I also have had success with the Big Dot sights especially since the rear has been reattached properly (hopefully.)

pureform1278 12-09-2011 17:18

http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/TG-TFO.gif
Are these Sights good for glock 27... Was interested cause they seem the brightest of all sights... But one guy told me cause of the length of the front sight their not good for glock 26 or 27... there better for 17 and 23... Whats you opinion... Plus im used to the stock glock plastic sights with the U shape in the back im very accurate with them... Will i be accurate with these too?

diode 12-09-2011 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pureform1278 (Post 18265398)
http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/TG-TFO.gif
Are these Sights good for glock 27... Was interested cause they seem the brightest of all sights... But one guy told me cause of the length of the front sight their not good for glock 26 or 27... there better for 17 and 23... Whats you opinion... Plus im used to the stock glock plastic sights with the U shape in the back im very accurate with them... Will i be accurate with these too?

Heck yes! These are the best things for my 58 year old eyes since the possibility of early retirement. Try them, it is only a 80~100.00 investment and they flat out help. (You would spend that much on a weekend of serious shooting at a range)

pangloss9 12-09-2011 20:11

Warren Tactical.

HGxyz 12-09-2011 20:11

I agree with barth here - the XS sights are great. I have a light sensitivity that makes it hard to see my sights when shooting from the shade at a target in bright sunlight. Actually like the stock glock plastics for this scenario, but I want night sights. XS was the answer for me. I also like the "dot-the-i" style for their fast target acquisition.

eddy t 12-09-2011 20:15

I've got meprolights on my G26 & G19. the sights have a larger white ring than trijicons and are easy to pick up in daylight...IMHO. plus optics planet has them on sale for $79 with free shipping.

peterj 12-09-2011 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pangloss9 (Post 18266062)
Warren Tactical.

+1 Great sight pictue

arushus 12-09-2011 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by barth (Post 18265000)
XS Systems 24/7 Express Big Dots
The 24/7 stands for ALL lighting conditions.

24/7 Express Sights
http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ts&sID=handgun

The Original fast acquisition sight enhanced with our 24/7 Tritium rear sight.

XS 24/7 Express sights are the finest sights made for fast sight acquisition in all light conditions. Day Light, Half-Light, or Low-Light, just "dot the I". Fast, simple and effective. This is the ultimate self defense sight system that provides sights you can see around the clock.

Features:
Enhances sight acquisition in all light conditions
Ultimate "Flash Sight" picture
Excels in high stress defensive situations
Improves Low-Light accuracy
Low profile, snag free design
Available with Big Dot Tritium or Standard Dot Tritium front sight
Trijicon® Tritium vials
http://www.steelcityarmory.com/media...l-0001s5_1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGxyz (Post 18266064)
I agree with barth here - the XS sights are great. I have a light sensitivity that makes it hard to see my sights when shooting from the shade at a target in bright sunlight. Actually like the stock glock plastics for this scenario, but I want night sights. XS was the answer for me. I also like the "dot-the-i" style for their fast target acquisition.


I highly agree with both of these gentleman! Ive also got xs big dots installed on my gun, and contrary to the rumors, these sights can be very very accurate when the correct sight picture is used! I also recommend heinie straight eights, and ameriglo Idot pro's. The heinies are a two dot system like the xs big dots are, but the rear sight is a notched U-shape like stock glock sights without the white outline. So at night you have the glowing dots where all you have to do is put one on top of the other and fire. And during the day you have a sight picture that is nearly identical to the stock glock sights, minus the white outline, which you really dont need in the daylight...

up1911fan 12-10-2011 14:13

Another vote for the Ameriglo Proglo front sight. I use them with a plain black rear, also from Ameriglo. Just ordered another set for my G38. You can't miss the orange ring during the day.

dkf 12-10-2011 21:55

I use Amerglo Hackathorn exclusively on my Glocks. I hate large bulky sights on my guns and the Hacks are nice and compact. In the dark the front sight is the only thing I'm interested in putting on target.

Rockimook 12-11-2011 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kashdaddy (Post 18265249)
trijicon warranty and customer sucks.............ameriglo has the best price, warranty and customer service. truglo are good day and night, but the chemicals will eat it up quickly. any tritium alone will not show good in the day, but will show good in the night.........and any fiber will not show good in the night, but will show good in the day. The idea is to get something with tritium if you want self defense and with ameriglo you can get the bright orange ring or yellow ring to assist in the day, which i have found to be much faster in the day and night than the all fiber. ameriglo offer the best combination selection.

+1
I have this front sight and my factory rear. It's the best setup I've ever used.

TexasGlockster 12-11-2011 18:35

Interesting...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by up1911fan (Post 18268829)
Another vote for the Ameriglo Proglo front sight. I use them with a plain black rear, also from Ameriglo. Just ordered another set for my G38. You can't miss the orange ring during the day.

I like these. Any idea on the life of them? I know the lifespan of most tritium sights is about 10 years and I just want to make sure they have about the same durability.

I'm sure this is a noobish question but what is the difference of the sight height. I assume that is just to correct for the user's preferences and/or the type of rear sight that is being used. That being said, what is the standard height and how do I decide if a different height would be better (beyond just "go try some different ones").


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.