Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   G36 defensive rounds (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372919)

istricky 10-01-2011 09:35

G36 defensive rounds
 
Any suggestions what seems to work best as a defensive round for the G36?

G26S239 10-01-2011 09:40

I like 185 grain Gold Dots.

captcurly 10-01-2011 09:44

I have been using Speer 230gr Gold Dot Short Barrel and IMHO this round will do the job. I also use Speer Short Barrel ammo in J frame and G 26. This round was designed for short barrels and has less muzzle flash. Check out the ballistics on this ammo.

emore 10-01-2011 09:53

Gold Dots are hard to beat. Just pick your weight and then wait.

nelsone 10-01-2011 21:46

Any JHP in 230 gr.

istricky 10-01-2011 22:30

The reason I am asking is that I have heard that I should use 185gr. vs. 230gr because the 230's beet up the springs & gun more.

TxGlock9 10-01-2011 23:55

SPEER GD 230gr JHP

G26S239 10-02-2011 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by istricky (Post 17990332)
The reason I am asking is that I have heard that I should use 185gr. vs. 230gr because the 230's beet up the springs & gun more.

230 are no harder on the gun than 185s.

Vance665 10-02-2011 00:50

I use PDX1 or Ranger T.

CDW4ME 10-02-2011 05:20

My Glock 36 likes Ranger T 230 gr.

BIG-DOG 10-02-2011 05:36

230 gr Ranger T, HST or Speer GD, all non +P. They all work great in mine with beautiful expansion.

istricky 10-02-2011 06:51

I am not a balistics expert, so I guess my real question is...what beats up the G36 less, 230gr or 185gr? I have been told by my local GS that use 185gr. No problem with using either for accuracy or second shot, just putting this up to the knowledgable GT bloggers for some more info.
Thanks! :faint:

G26S239 10-02-2011 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by istricky (Post 17991085)
I am not a balistics expert, so I guess my real question is...what beats up the G36 less, 230gr or 185gr? I have been told by my local GS that use 185gr. No problem with using either for accuracy or second shot, just putting this up to the knowledgable GT bloggers for some more info.
Thanks! :faint:

The reason that I usually use the 185 is to keep the velocity up in the short barrel. Neither round will beat up your gun at all! Okay? It is a purpose built 45 ACP that will not ever get beat up using 45 ACP. I have no idea why you believe that your 36 will not handle 45 ACP.

MNBud 10-02-2011 08:55

I use Hornady 185GR XTP. Feeds reliably and certainly should get the job done.

Deployment Solu 10-02-2011 09:38

I run Corbon DPX in 185 and 160grs, depending on what I have the most of. Excellent performance. Total copper bullet. Excellent weight retention. Haven't had to use them in SD, but the testing is impressive. Yes, they are a bit spendy, but I am worth it!! LOL!!!!

elde 10-02-2011 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deployment Solu (Post 17991586)
I run Corbon DPX in 185 and 160grs, depending on what I have the most of. Excellent performance. Total copper bullet. Excellent weight retention. Haven't had to use them in SD, but the testing is impressive. Yes, they are a bit spendy, but I am worth it!! LOL!!!!

Agreed. The Barnes copper bullet that CorBon uses is excellent for both expansion and penetration. Second choice would be Gold Dots. I use 185gr exclusively in my 36 for the same reasons G26S239 mentioned above.

http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgun/200/200/dept

Olde School 10-02-2011 09:50

I use Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber both in 230 gr.

Both rounds function flawlessly (as does anything else I run through my G-36) and both are used by many LEA's in Florida including the agency I retired from.

OS

GLOCK17DB9 04-02-2012 18:54

HTML Code:

I am not a balistics expert, so I guess my real question is...what beats up the G36 less, 230gr or 185gr? I have been told by my local GS that use 185gr. No problem with using either for accuracy or second shot, just putting this up to the knowledgable GT bloggers for some more info.
Thanks!

We must have heard this from the same GS in metro detroit. :dunno:

Line Rider 04-02-2012 19:23

Federal Hydra-Shok gr 230 Old school ammo that works.

GLOCK17DB9 04-02-2012 19:26

Quote:

Federal Hydra-Shok gr 230 Old school ammo that works.
thanks i was just looking at that yesterday at my lgs and almost picked up a box. i will give it a go this week when i take my g36 out for her first run.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.