Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Crossbreed Supertuck Retention (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356781)

Old Junes 07-18-2011 20:24

Crossbreed Supertuck Retention

My new Crossbreed Supertuck arrived today and so far I like it a lot- it conceals much better than any other holster I've tried so far. :supergrin:

That said, the retention is very tight. I have to pull quite hard to get the gun to come out of the holster at all. I can see this as a hindrance to a quick draw. I know that solid retention is a good thing for a variety of reasons... but I could swear that it is too tight. Does this loosen up a bit during the initial break-in period?

Dirt Doctor 07-18-2011 20:32

Evening, June. I too, carry in a supertuck and love it. There should be instructions (don't take my Man-Card) in the holster pack for how to fine tune the retention, by "softening" the Kydex using a hair dryer and damp washcloth. Once you soften the Kydex, you should be able to adjust to your liking.

Good luck and enjoy that holster!

Old Junes 07-18-2011 20:38

Evening, good sir.

Yes, I did see those instructions in the package... but I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they was designed to tighten the retention specifically. I suppose I'll take another look at em'.

Pvt.snoballz 07-18-2011 21:03

wait until the holster is broken-in

mine was very tight ( as yours is) when i first got it, now the retention is at zero, the only tension keeping the pistol in place is my belt. i should probably send it in to be re tightened but it doesn't bother me that much to be honest, i can still run just fine with it if i need to.

with this type of holster i dont see retention being a real need as the belt holds it tight just fine, but too much retention can certainly be, that said, id wait for it to break in before messing around with it.

Dirt Doctor 07-18-2011 21:24

Yessir, you are correct in what the sheet says. However, I had a friend in similar circumstances as yours who used that process to loosen the retention somewhat.

Snowballz advice to give it a bit and see if it breaks in a bit on its own is also sound. With retention issues, a little dab will do ya.

cowboywannabe 07-18-2011 21:44

my galco king tuk is perfect right out of the box. since these are pretty much the same holster i dont know what could be wrong with yours except it was mislabled and is for another gun or was just made wrong.

1glockfan23 07-18-2011 21:49

I love my Supertuck, carry all my Glocks in one. Follow the enclosed instructions on adjusting the retention and you should be fine. If not, contact Crossbreed and let them know, they really stand behind their product and should be able to help out.

fuzzy03cls 07-19-2011 06:57

Use a heat gun. A hair dryer wasn't enough to get it hot to mold it.
There's a little nub on the outside along the slide. Heat that area & then from the inside push it out a little(only a little) that should ease retention. Same thing for adding tension, just push the nub in from the outside of the holster. It's really easy. But a heat gun should be used. You can buy a cheap one from a hardware store. I got mine from lowes for $15.

DaneA 07-19-2011 07:43

Wear it for a couple of weeks and get it broke in before adjusting anything.

Edmo01 07-19-2011 07:49

I own three different Supertucks, the Wife has one, and my son has two. Sometimes you need to tweak them to suit your draw.

I have used a hairdryer for the ones I wanted to change the drawing resistance. Slowly heat up the area depressed into the trigger guard. Gently push it in to tighten the draw or reach inside the holster and gently push that depressed area out to loosen. Check the fit with your pistol.

"Gently" is the key once the kydex gets soft. It only takes a smidge to totally change the resistance. If you pushed too much, warm it up again and put it where you want it.

It takes me longer to sneak the Wife's hairdryer and get set up than it does to adjust the holster! :cool:

Edmo

polizei1 07-19-2011 15:30

Wait a while before you mess with it. Mine was tight as well, and now there are lines in the leather where the gun sits (the parts that hit like the thumb safety). Once it stretches a bit and gets worn it it will be fine. I would actually like mine to be a little more tight, as it's pretty loose. I can hold it upside down and "bounce" it a little and it will stay put, so as far as I'm concerned it's fine.

Old Junes 07-20-2011 09:34

Thanks gentleman. I am going to hold off on adjusting it for now... it actually seems to have loosened up a bit already.

As a side note, do you guys where any type of undershirt between the holster and your skin? I have the horsehide version and it is quite comfortable for awhile... but by the end of the day yesterday it was irritating my skin a bit.

fuzzy03cls 07-20-2011 09:56

I always wear an undershirt. Not for the holster but because a sweat a lot.

RMD 07-20-2011 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Junes (Post 17656341)
Thanks gentleman. I am going to hold off on adjusting it for now... it actually seems to have loosened up a bit already.

As a side note, do you guys where any type of undershirt between the holster and your skin? I have the horsehide version and it is quite comfortable for awhile... but by the end of the day yesterday it was irritating my skin a bit.

Usually no undershirt. I've heard that some use a moleskin backing.

Glock Fanatic 02-04-2012 13:48

I wear an undershirt only because i have the combat cut and the gen 4 grip is rough against my skin... when i carry my gen 3 i dont wear it and its still rather comfortable in all weather conditions...

Marc1956 02-04-2012 14:11

I found a foolproof way to loosen up my SuperTuck. Leave it in your vehicle, during the hot Georgia summer, WITH your Glock in it and it will loosen itself right up! Don't ask me how I know this! :supergrin: