Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   deal or no deal? AIMPOINT magnifiers - what do you think about this sale (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351781)

LUNG-G19 06-24-2011 17:11

deal or no deal? AIMPOINT magnifiers - what do you think about this sale

I just saw this today in a utube video. Im thinking of grabbing one, Ive been considering it for some time now. Just wondered what you guys thought about it. I checked out the link it is 50% off and free shipping and a few other goodies he says. KZ Scorpion Pen or something, what ever that is.. lol

Is the twist mount good to go, thumbs up, thumbs down??

Here is the link and the video -

Sale Linky

video link

cross posted thread, here and arf just to get more opinions, thanks

MrMurphy 06-24-2011 19:05

It works, but there's a reason LaRue makes a pivot mount.

LUNG-G19 06-24-2011 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMurphy (Post 17540989)
It works, but there's a reason LaRue makes a pivot mount.

you talking about the flip to the side mount? Id like to hear your thoughts/reasons. Seems like it would flop around

Reb 56 06-24-2011 20:18

One downside of a magnifer with a red dot is not only the target enlarged the dot is too. A larger dot obscures more of the target.

glock031 06-24-2011 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reb 56 (Post 17541301)
One downside of a magnifer with a red dot is not only the target enlarged the dot is too. A larger dot obscures more of the target.

Not entirely true. My g23 eotech magnifier is 3.25x but the eotech red dot still stays at 1 moa. The outside ring apears a little larger but the dot itself stays just a little tiny speck in the view.

LUNG-G19 06-24-2011 22:30

I just ordered one - so we shall see..

MrMurphy 06-25-2011 05:35

Pivot mount is spring loaded and cam locked. There's no flopping involved.

KalashniKEV 06-25-2011 08:10

Do it for the Scorpion Pen!!!

J/K... and the roll mount is far superior to the twist mount.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...-39-38_219.jpg

TKM 06-25-2011 08:21

Great, if you have a handy place to stash an expensive piece of glass. I have the pouch taped to my sling at the moment, but it doesn't feel right.

I'll be calling LaRue eventually. The flip to side mount I have on another weapon works fine.

I wouldn't have bought the twist mount if I'd had a chance to handle it first.

AK_Stick 06-25-2011 09:03

They both have their uses.

If you're going to use NVG's a removable is probably for you.

If you're not, the swing away magnifiers are the heat.

All in your need.

Personally, if I was dropping that kind of cash, I'd just step up and buy the one I like the best, because even at 50% off, if I decide I want the other one later, I'm going to end up spending more in the long run.

MARSH1 06-25-2011 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reb 56 (Post 17541301)

This might confuse some people. Since the dot and target are both magnified, the dot covers the same amount of the target with and without the magnifier.

Marshall

surf 06-25-2011 21:27

It would be hard for someone who wants a quality magnifier to pass up on this one at 50% off. Aimpoints glass is excellent.

KalashniKEV 06-26-2011 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 17543043)
They both have their uses.

If you're going to use NVG's a removable is probably for you.

Aaaaaactually, if you're talking about the twist mount, then what appears to be "removable" would leave you with the rail grabber left behind, taking up space, and preventing you from mounting a PVS-14 weapons mount. (unless you have an allen key)

The roll mount IS quick detach like all Larue mounts, leaving nothing behind on your rail.

The roll mount is superior to the twist mount in every way.

I run mine on an FAL carbine too.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...v/IMG_0644.jpg

AK_Stick 06-26-2011 06:09

I was talking removing it, so you could get your worn NVG's behind the optic.

But you have a very good point.

KalashniKEV 06-26-2011 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 17546651)
I was talking removing it, so you could get your worn NVG's behind the optic.

But you have a very good point.

You can't stack an optic, a twist bracket, and a PVS-14 weapons mount on an upper.

You can pop the latch and swing the lever on a roll mount though. ;)

AK_Stick 06-26-2011 09:52

I meant taking being able to remove the magnifier, so you could get a set of NVG's worn on your head, or helmet behind the optic. Not mounting your NVG's behind your optic.

I wear helmet mounted dual tubes, so if I were choosing a magnifier, I would want something that came completely off, because I don't know if a swing mount would go far enough over to clear my dual tube set up.

MrMurphy 06-26-2011 11:00

The pivot mount boths pivots and is QD, so it works either way. You can have the magnifier off the gun in about 3-4 seconds completely, or just pivot it.

KalashniKEV 06-26-2011 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 17547439)
so you could get a set of NVG's worn on your head, or helmet behind the optic.

Oh... that's not ideal at all.

The PVS-14 mount is only good for the guard tower, and a PITA at that. Really, you need a PEQ-2A or PEQ-15 to effectively use NODs unless you're going to stay in one place.

Back to the topic, there is no reason the twist mount should even exist.

AK_Stick 06-26-2011 12:06

I concur, however, even in the .mil not everyone who has NVG's has access to PEQ's on their MTOE.

We've got some of the most high speed NVG's available, but we're not issued a single PEQ/PAQ. Absolutely retarded.

KalashniKEV 06-26-2011 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 17547961)
I concur, however, even in the .mil not everyone who has NVG's has access to PEQ's on their MTOE.

We've got some of the most high speed NVG's available, but we're not issued a single PEQ/PAQ. Absolutely retarded.

OT:

1) Your S4 sucks. I could (past tense) make limitless AN/PAQ-4Cs appear anywhere in a few weeks. PEQ-2As in theater are easy b/c TPE warehouses have been exploding since the RDOF and everyone DXed for PEQ-15s in OIF-VIII.

2) You're not likely to ever have to use one anyway. Sucks, but it's the truth.