Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Piston vs Gas uppers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316188)

wolf19r 02-09-2011 13:33

Piston vs Gas uppers

What are the experiences on GT with piston vs gas uppers? Cleaning, problems etc.. who makes a good complete upper? I have been looking at 16" Daniel, Noveske, Ruger 556 and LWRC. Thanks

Sputz 02-09-2011 13:49

This is like gen 3 vs gen 4. It all boils down to both have their advantages/disadvantages. Look at what you need it to do and decide. I went with di since its been proven to work for so long, also when i saw the breakdown of both systems and saw all the extra parts in a piston system so I went with the minimalist approach, pretty much the same reason I use a glock. All those brands are gtg for uppers, everyone has their favorite brand.

tx787 02-09-2011 14:07

If you want a piston get an AK, if you want an AR get DI and just keep it clean and you won't have any problems. Flame suit has been put on for responses.

faawrenchbndr 02-09-2011 14:10

I'll take a gas upper over a piston.
Less moving parts, more accurate, proven design, no carrier tilt issues

wolf19r 02-09-2011 14:12

Do you have a spare flame suit I can borrow?

faawrenchbndr 02-09-2011 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf19r (Post 16841493)
Do you have a spare flame suit I can borrow?

No flame suit needed.........it's a good question.
It's a debatable question,........should be a great thread!

wolf19r 02-09-2011 14:21

Did not know about carrier tilt. Any info GTers have is appreciated. Thanks

thisaway 02-09-2011 16:48

I have an Adams Arms piston retrofit kit on a DSA upper, and I have been very pleased with its performance so far. It does keep the action cleaner (not clean, but cleaner) than a DI model, and it does keep the heat out front and away from the action.

BUT...it is no more accurate or reliable than my DI ARs. I bought it just to try it out for myself...personal experience is better than internet rumour. I do not prefer it over my DI ARs, but neither do I shun it. It is just a play pretty for me, and I have played with it a lot since I bought it!

LMT, POF, Stag, S&W and CMMG are some of the makers who offer complete piston uppers. But IIRC, Adams Arms offers complete uppers now, also.

NeverMore1701 02-09-2011 17:21

DI for me. I figure leave pistons on guns designed for them.

crazymoose 02-09-2011 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 (Post 16842708)
DI for me. I figure leave pistons on guns designed for them.

Agreed. Plenty of good piston designs around: SCAR, AK, AUG, SIG 556, etc.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

drakeky 02-09-2011 21:18

I have several AR's and have tons of experience in both gas and pistons. I own both and use both at work as well. I like the piston so much I put my life and my team members lives on the line daily with them. We run the HK 416D at work and find it to be very reliable. It never fails. But I havent had any issues with the gas guns either as long as some kind of cleaning and care is provided. Either will be a fine weapon but if you want to run em dirty and not worry.... Then piston is the only choice IMO. I personally own a POF .223 piston AR and love it as well. I also own 5 other AR's in different calibers and they are all gas and I love them. If I could only choose one to keep it would be the piston for reliability and the fact I can run it dirty if I need to with no worries.

mstennes 02-10-2011 08:52

People always try to claim a Piston AR is more reliable than a DI, well to be honest its BS, they always claim the AK is sooooo reliable, well it is, but it was designed a piston, but the key reason its so reliable, is it is made with loose tollarances. The bolt carrier does not know if its being hit with a piston, a hammer or a shot of gas. The AR has very tight tollarances, and needs lubed, pure and simple, remember when POF ran their ads about not needing as much? Well they discovered increased wear, on all their surfaces where steel met aluminum (bolt carrier and upper). If you still have any questions on reliabilty or durability, http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vsp...hy14_oct10.pdf "Filthey 14". All the pistons bring to the AR table, is a gimmick, and a way to sell more AR's in a flooded market.

ETA, break a piston, you will need manufacturer specific parts to get it back up and running.

mjkeat 02-10-2011 09:38

I have both. My LWRC has been a great firearm. The DIs have been great as well. Cleaning really isn't a big deal to me. If sat on the barracks floor for weeks cleaning the same weapon system. 15 minutes at home watching TV is a breeze. Either way you'll be happy.

I'm not comfortable w/ the add-on piston systems like Adam Arms. LWRC is a good choice. Remember that most piston systems are proprietary.

Id go DI.

wolf19r 02-10-2011 11:30

Thanks for the experience and info that goes along with it, I appreciate it a lot. Now I need to decide what company to go with for the upper.

mjkeat 02-10-2011 11:50

BCM is a great place to look into. Daniel Defense is wonderful. Noveske is awesome. It all depends on your budget.

wolf19r 02-10-2011 14:31

Trying to go custom high quality with out breaking the bank. I plan to build it all except for the upper I want to buy as a whole.

2240 02-10-2011 15:15

Marine Corp just adopted the HK416 as the M27. It's in the field testing phase and going to Afghanistan as we speak.

mstennes 02-10-2011 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2240 (Post 16848529)
Marine Corp just adopted the HK416 as the M27. It's in the field testing phase and going to Afghanistan as we speak.

Yes, but it was done as a replacement for the 249, which it will fail at, just me but wouldnt 249's be the answer for SAW's? They have not adopted it to replace their M16's or M4's, as a matter of fact their testing a M16A5 as we speak.

mjkeat 02-10-2011 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstennes (Post 16848555)
Yes, but it was done as a replacement for the 249, which it will fail at, just me but wouldnt 249's be the answer for SAW's? They have not adopted it to replace their M16's or M4's, as a matter of fact their testing a M16A5 as we speak.

How do they plan on feeding these HKs? I hope theyre not using those dual drum mags.

As a prior 249 gunner I dont think theres a good replacement for it.

mstennes 02-10-2011 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 16849028)
How do they plan on feeding these HKs? I hope theyre not using those dual drum mags.

As a prior 249 gunner I dont think theres a good replacement for it.

From what I understand through 30 round mags, there has been talk of Beta mags, but I dont know if it went ahead? The 249 is a excellent saw, we just need to get rid of our old worn out ones, and do away with the mag feed option, like its used anyway. I have seen new ones without the mag feed and they have 0 problems, but then any new ones work.