Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Snubbie Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Charter 2000 - 44 spl Bulldog (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295321)

themiller 12-17-2010 14:30

Charter 2000 - 44 spl Bulldog

Well,

I was in the mood for something different, and I saw several members pics of their 44's. Well, needless to say, I wanted a big bore wheelgun in a little package. The Nightguards were out of my price range and since I can't carry in my state anyway and this was more "novelty" I figured a used Charter 2000 would fit the bill.

Seemed alright, seemed tight. Lol.

Got it to the range and the problems began:
1. the cylinder wouldn't always lock, sometimes it'd just spin and spin and spin.
2. after 2-3 rounds I couldn't fire. As in, not just difficult, but impossible to pull the trigger back.
3. after reproducing the problem 2 other times I figured I shouldn't push my luck, walked the gun back and told the old timer behind the counter what I found.
4. He started to say "its not a target gun, and ..." - I think he saw my target at this point and realized that I was pretty damm good shot, and I also was explaining to him I made sure to seat the rounds nice and deep.
4. he played with the trigger a bit, said oh **** while watching the hammer move back and forth and the cylinder not move an inch, and then proclaimed that it was indeed bad.

He said they'd take care of it, so back to Charter it goes. Hopefully things get straightened out, it was fun. I got probably 20 rds of the Blazer 200GR JHP and man that thing is a little cannon.

Anyway - anyone have .02 on what could be up? Will there be any issue as the "2000" company doesn't exist anymore - "I think?"

Thanks,

themiller

Ajon412 12-22-2010 13:37

I recently picked up a CA 44 Bulldog Pug (production 2009) and I'm absolutely pleased with it. I've got roughly 300 rounds or so through mine with no problems. The only adjustment I had to make was to the front sight, as mine printed 4'' low at 10 yards. Now it shoots POA/POI. The action on mine actually smoothed out after the first 100 rounds.

You're complaint seems pretty common for a CA 2000 era gun. Apparently, the CA 2000 Company had major quailty control problems. If you go to the Charter Arms website (www.charterfirearms.com) you can send an E-Mail to Nick Ecker, President and explain your situation. He will respond to your complaint. I corresponded with Nick before and after my purchase and he replied every time. Give him a chance to make it right, as CA has a Lifetime Warranty.

All this is just my .02 based on my personal experience with the .44 Special Bulldog Pug and Charter Arms management. If you'd like more information, just sent me a PM.

themiller 12-23-2010 21:25

Thanks for the reply. The shop is handling it (I just go the gun and they said they checked it before selling) so I hope I come out with no $$$. If it costs a penny it's going back to them. I got other things to waste my time with. Did get to hold a nighguard yesterd - suckers are huge. Probably go back to a J if this doesnt work.

cowboywannabe 12-24-2010 08:21

in my experiences and those i know the CA bull dog .44spls are a 50/50 gamble of getting a real sour lemon. ive tried two a few decades ago and they both were crap. in fact of the dozen~ or so that ive fired (mine and friend's) personally only two were "good" with the rest having various problems.

good luck! id have no problem paying for one if first i got to shoot 200 standard pressure defensive rounds through it first and examine it afterwards. to this date usually one box of ammo revealed problems that were not "break-in" related.

itstime 12-24-2010 08:27

Dang a Charter has been on my list forever. Still on the list cause I always read post such as this and not buy one.

themiller 12-25-2010 20:52

it was great fun while it lasted!

dugo 12-28-2010 06:03

I have been noticing a couple of relevant things, since I have been considering a Charter .44 for a while, and watching comments about them. Both have been said, so I'll just add some corroboration.

First, Charter 200 had a reputation for quality problems that apparently plagued them throughout their tenure. The current Charter Arms has had much better reports on quality, and has made headway in restoring Charter's reputation as the providers of a good basic piece of machinery -- nothing fancy, not finely detailed, but serviceable and practical.

Charter has apparently had some notable ups and downs over the last few decades, so cowboywannabee's experience may stem from one of the down periods, or products from one. Things may be better now.

Second, I have noticed mostly positive feedback -- if any at all -- about the current Charter's customer service, so there is a good bet that they will sort this out and make it right. If they are taking on the chore, it may be good of them to back up Charter 2000 products, as they seem to be a different animal from the Charter 2000 company.

Certainly seems like Ajon412 knows whereof he speaks, and I am going to hold on to the information he provided for future reference.

Let us know how your adventure ends, as I am adding it to my assessment of Charter. Thanks.

themiller 01-03-2011 20:35

got it back. Said they adjusted barrel and cylinder gap. ran 25 rounds off in quick succession into a 2" circle @ 7 yds. good enough for me :)

Ajon412 01-03-2011 22:48

Good luck with it......:thumbsup:

ducati 01-08-2011 11:42

I always wondered why other companies never offered something similar. The 2 I shot were great.

themiller 01-21-2011 16:15

another 20 rds today and nothing but perfection. No problems at all.

Fire_Medic 01-21-2011 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by themiller (Post 16711196)
another 20 rds today and nothing but perfection. No problems at all.

Dying for a customer to come in and shoot one of these so I can ask to give it a whirl. Have a good friend raving about it the other day.
:supergrin:

cowboywannabe 04-06-2011 19:41

i really want a C.A. bulldog .44spl, or any affordable .44spl 5 shot J-K frame sized snubby....C.A. is the only game in town right now. Taurus made a nice .44spl snubby, in fact they made several small frame big bores, .44spl, .45colt, and .41mag.

pesty3782 04-27-2011 06:12

Bulldog

Love mine!!! A guy at work bet me I couldn't hit the target at 25 yards and he was surprised....

44 Russians shoot out of it real well if you want a light shooting round to play with.

I had to file my front sight down to get POA to equal POI at 15 yards.

Nice gun to carry

Tony P.

Buckeye63 05-01-2011 11:15

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1672465/246.jpg

I have pictured my Charter 2000 357mag. Pug

and my Charter Arms 44 Spl. with Compac grips...both of these guns a re sweet as honey ...

Charters customer service is 2nd to none ..they take pride in there work...

Buckeye63 05-01-2011 11:58

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1674840/79e.jpg

44 Special in a 21 OZ , 'D" size frame revolver ...
This Bulldog is just slightly larger than a J Frame..very slightly

cowboywannabe 05-01-2011 12:11

like i said, id be willing to give them a forth try on somebody else's dime....as in shoot and examine first, then put my money down.

Buckeye63 05-01-2011 15:55

I've sent three for repair out of the dozen or so I've owned,,,Once I lent out my old vintage Charter undercover to a friend of mine ...he ran about 50 +P down the pipe and the screw backed out of the cylinder latch causing the latch to be lost...being that it was a old gun MKS charged me a low flat rate to repair the gun....
2nd. one I dropped a hammerless 44 Bulldog and cracked the grip frame...I sent it back for repair and they repaired it free...
3rd, was my 357 mag, snub that is pictured ....same senerio as the first except I was firing 158gr 357 Mag. down the pipe,,I should have checked the screw after 50 + rounds....
which these are not big issues I've had similar problems with Smiths ,Rugers and Taurus..but by far the best customer service is always with Charter.
There frame design was copied by Ruger for there Security Six, Speed Six , Police Six , SP101, GP100 and also copied by Dan Wesson and all companies copied there hammer block safety ..

Buckeye63 05-01-2011 15:56

http://www.gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm

cowboywannabe 05-01-2011 16:19

the problems i had were with the thin metal cylinder stop wearing down enough that i could manual rotate the cylinder the opposite way its suppose to turn. this skinny shark fin style piece and those slight cylinder stop grooves have not changed in all the years theyve made the guns.

the two i had that did this were .44spls.

the one 3" pathfinder .22lr was a jem of a gun, but the bulldogs were poorly made in my opinion and they got "loose" quickly with standard velocity ammo.

Buckeye63 05-01-2011 16:44

Sorry you had a bad experience,,,
I ve got a locked up M37 S&W in my safe at this time just waiting to drop it off at the smiths (absence of $$$)
Had it out shooting Wadcutters and the trigger wasn't returning , I had to assist it the after the next round it was locked up...

FM12 09-30-2012 17:22

I HAVE A NEWER MODEL bULLDOG IN 44 SPL. TOOK IT TO THE RANGE THIS WEEK AND HAD PROBLEMS SHORT STROKING IN DOUBLE ACTION. NEVER DID GET THE HANG OF RAPID D/A SHOOTING. OFF IT GOES TO BE TRADED.

countrygun 09-30-2012 17:43

I've had mine for over a year and not a problem. I had a friend who had one of the originals ad it is probably still going, we had a lot of rounds through it when I last saw it. I would steer well clear of the "Charco" and "Charter 2000" products. I have put some fairly stout handloads in mine and no problems, save for the screw in the breechface that pushes the ejector rod back to release the cylinder. You can feel when it is loosening on the Charters because releasing the cylinder gets more difficult and it's time to back that screw out. One of the nice features of the original 3" and the new "Retro" 3" is that, without the shroud on them, you can just pull the ejector rod to swing the cylinder out.

ChiefWPD 10-28-2012 20:48

I have an older (+30 years) Charter .44 Bulldog (3" barrel). Stout and reliable. I've put several hundred rounds through that little handgun (used it to test .44 Special handloads ~ really.).

Had a minor problem with the gun several years ago (I could open the cylinder using the ejector rod but the cylinder release latch was stuck and would not work properly). Sent it to the company and they repaired it for free. Excellent communication and company customer service.

Just my recent experience with Charter Arms.