Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Looking for your most accurate load using WST (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293183)

JT2424 12-11-2010 11:09

Looking for your most accurate load using WST
 
What is your most accurate load using WST and 230gr FMJ out of a g21.
I'm getting mixed results with some of my loads and can't settle on one.
If you guys could please include OAL, amount of crimp, primer choice and charge weight. Thanks in advance.
JT

fredj338 12-11-2010 11:14

Your gun will tell you what is an accurate load. WST is a good start. I run 4.7gr under a Win 230grFMJ @ 1.250"-1.255" OAL, the crimp measures around 0.471-0.4721" w/ a std TC (no LFCD please). Your gun may shoot that well or not. For best accuracy, I don't find FMJ terribly accurate. A Sierra JHP or XTP have always shot better, but way too pricey for practice ammo. I can even get a well cast 200gr lead bullet to shoot betterr than most RNFMJ.

EL_NinO619 12-11-2010 12:00

just bought my first 1lb of WST and cant wait to try it. I will also be using 230gr FMJ's.

JT2424 12-11-2010 12:20

Why not a fan of LFCD Fred?

IndyGunFreak 12-11-2010 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT2424 (Post 16441829)
Why not a fan of LFCD Fred?

:popcorn:

:rofl:

This is gonna turn into a 15 page thread now!

Theres some here who swear by the FCD, there's some here who despise it. There's also a few of us who use it, but aren't so irrational to think that it has to be used to produce some quality loads.

Thankfully, I'm not obsessed, so I'm in camp #3.. ;)

IGF

GioaJack 12-11-2010 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 16442043)
:popcorn:

:rofl:

This is gonna turn into a 15 page thread now!

Theres some here who swear by the FCD, there's some here who despise it. There's also a few of us who use it, but aren't so irrational to think that it has to be used to produce some quality loads.

Thankfully, I'm not obsessed, so I'm in camp #3.. ;)

IGF


Nothing worse than a fence sitter... cowboy up and pick a damn side!


Jack

JT2424 12-11-2010 16:56

I was just asking. I'm not trying to create a huge debate. I'm pretty fresh to reloading and the first set of dies I purchased for 45acp had it so I use it. I'm always open to suggestions from more seasoned reloaders. Either way back to my question would like to see some of your guys loads.

Boxerglocker 12-11-2010 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT2424 (Post 16441829)
Why not a fan of LFCD Fred?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 16442043)
:popcorn:

:rofl:

This is gonna turn into a 15 page thread now!

Theres some here who swear by the FCD, there's some here who despise it. There's also a few of us who use it, but aren't so irrational to think that it has to be used to produce some quality loads.

Thankfully, I'm not obsessed, so I'm in camp #3.. ;)

IGF

and in this corner weighing in at..... :whistling:

4.9g of WST behind a 200g Moly RHHB is my current pet load in .45ACP

XDRoX 12-11-2010 17:41

I've loaded 4.4gr of WST under a 230gr plated bullet at 1.240" OAL. It's a pretty soft load.

Oh, and I don't use a LFCD.

fredj338 12-12-2010 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT2424 (Post 16441829)
Why not a fan of LFCD Fred?

The LFCD can cause accuracy issues. Here is a test I ran w/ plated bullets. I had less issues w/ jacketed & hard cast lead, but soft plated bullets, it doesn't help accuracy. These groups are shot @ 15yds. I repeated the test on separate days to make sure it wasn't me, same results. I just don't find the LFCD required to amke accurate, reliable ammo. "A brilliant solution to a none existent problem".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...338/200PTC.jpg

JT2424 12-12-2010 02:30

Well looks like I'm going to need a taper crimp die. I appreciate the info you guys all provide. Fred it's guys like you that make the learning curve on reloading a little quicker for us noobs thank you.

GioaJack 12-12-2010 10:49

If you didn't buy a 4 die set, (separate seat/separate crimp dies) the crimp function is built into your seating die. Just adjust it to seat and crimp with one pull of the handle.


Jack

tjpet 12-12-2010 11:40

I've shot a lot of 230grn.RNs (plain lead, plated, jacketed) with 4.5grn. WST. A nice, soft, accurate load that runs well in all .45ACP pistols.

However, my everyday go-to, everything handload consists of a 200grn.LSWC w/5.0grns. WST. Superbly accurate, clean burning, easy recoiling and powerful it's only drawback is the SWC design which doesn't feed well in a lot of modern pistol designs (Glock, XD, etc.). For those I've subbed LRNFP (aka cowboy) bullets for just about the same results, slightly less accuracy.

fredj338 12-12-2010 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjpet (Post 16446750)
I've shot a lot of 230grn.RNs (plain lead, plated, jacketed) with 4.5grn. WST. A nice, soft, accurate load that runs well in all .45ACP pistols.

However, my everyday go-to, everything handload consists of a 200grn.LSWC w/5.0grns. WST. Superbly accurate, clean burning, easy recoiling and powerful it's only drawback is the SWC design which doesn't feed well in a lot of modern pistol designs (Glock, XD, etc.). For those I've subbed LRNFP (aka cowboy) bullets for just about the same results, slightly less accuracy.

Amen tj. That pretty much is my go to 45acp load; 4.9gr-5gr of WST under a 200gr something. I have moved to this bullet for all 45acps, feeds in everything & shoots pretty darn good. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../45200TCPB.jpg

EL_NinO619 12-12-2010 12:24

OT ? If you load mouse farts, can they make your POI high?

fredj338 12-12-2010 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 (Post 16447009)
OT ? If you load mouse farts, can they make your POI high?

Depends on bullet wt but generally, lighter loads will shoot slightly lower, at least at 25yds or so.

Max1775 12-12-2010 17:07

I'm using 4.7 of WST under a Hornady 230 RN-FMJ at 1.250" just like Fred has suggested (which is where I think I got my data from originally). Works flawlessly and is very accurate in my G30 even with the FCD. It is also the same charge I'm using for 9mm and 40 cal. A .57 disc in my Lee pro auto disk works great.

Glock21sf-miami 12-14-2010 19:17

My go to load is 5.0 grs of WST pushing a 200 gr Montana Gold JFP, various headstamps in brass, Winchester large pistol primers. Please note that this is a 200gr bullet, a slight departure from what the OP is asking but they are a good deal when you buy the case.

nscob 12-19-2010 12:39

Wst
 
My load of 4.7 WST 200g lee lswc (my cast)WWAC LLA @1.200-1.220 is incredible in Kimber 4 in. and Sig 220. An 8 lb'er of WST and most all my lead is dedicated to this.

Fred, your info (and suggestions) is like a book of reference all has worked for me well. Your info on WSF is all I use on 9mm and .40 also.

RustyFN 12-19-2010 14:32

Same here, 4.9 to 5 grains of WST under my own 200 grain SWC's.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.