Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Snubbie Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   S&W 340 M&P "No Lock" (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285742)

WhiteCoyote 11-17-2010 22:46

S&W 340 M&P "No Lock"
 
Picked up this S&W 340 M&P, .357 mag. today. It's a Scandium Alloy frame revolver. Weight 13.7 oz on my scale, S&W claims 13.3 oz. Front sight is XS Sight 24/7 Tritium Night sight. The most interesting thing about the 340 M&P is "NO LOCK"!!!
This should be fun to shoot.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
http://i51.tinypic.com/2iicw9z.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/311kgud.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/rj1w7q.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/okwnzm.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/28i7qyw.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2dtooj4.gif

Maine 11-18-2010 00:48

That's a great looking gun. Let us know what you think after shooting. If I could find one locally, priced reasonably Id probably buy it.

G19aps 11-19-2010 07:59

I've got one that I bought in 07 but it has a lock. That's not why it's not fun to shoot though ;)

I wish they would put that front sight and u-notch rear on the 642. It should be $150-$200 less and most folks don't shoot .357 out of these anyway.

jamaicanj 11-22-2010 19:21

Congrats.

This has been on my wish list and I'm glad that I held off as I've been hoping that the day would come for the 340 without the lock

den888 11-23-2010 22:09

Congrats !

fastbolt 11-26-2010 12:17

Congrats.

I like my early production M&P 340 quite a bit.

Is the SKU for your no-lock M&P 340 #103072?

Cooks128 11-26-2010 12:28

I love my early model 340....it's not a range gun my any means but mine has seen some use.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...DSC_0001-1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...SN850491_2.jpg

Wade-19 12-02-2010 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by G19aps (Post 16324367)
I've got one that I bought in 07 but it has a lock. That's not why it's not fun to shoot though ;)

I wish they would put that front sight and u-notch rear on the 642. It should be $150-$200 less and most folks don't shoot .357 out of these anyway.

IMHO they would sell a ton of 642s so equiped. I HATED shootimg my old 360.

2740dmx 12-24-2010 06:12

Man....

I am wanting one of these no-lock 340 M&P so badly..

I am considering changing my carry weapon from a Glock 27 to an M&P340 AND a 442!

One on the belt and one in the pocket (at night) and just one of the j-frames during the day, or when carrying in places where I do not want the added weapon on my person.

(and I wanted to bump this thread up to the top...since I look at it and drool every day :embarassed:)

OP: If you are reading this.... how about some reviews, more pics, carry methods, etc...?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Cooks128 12-24-2010 07:38

I'm actually going to try to pick up a second J-Frame, either a 642 or 442...Vances in Columbus ohio has them on sale for 349.99 through the end of the year...plus the 50.00 S&W rebate....300.00 for a S&W is a steal. I know of a few guys (including my father) that carry two jframes.

tpr7304 12-24-2010 10:44

Have you shot it yet? A range report would be great.

the perfesser 12-24-2010 17:16

Cooks128,

$299 + tax for a 442/642 qualifies as Grand Theft where I live. Go buy it on the 27th, hear?

G27Chief 12-25-2010 04:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooks128 (Post 16515261)
I'm actually going to try to pick up a second J-Frame, either a 642 or 442...Vances in Columbus ohio has them on sale for 349.99 through the end of the year...plus the 50.00 S&W rebate....300.00 for a S&W is a steal. I know of a few guys (including my father) that carry two jframes.

Dang that is cheap. I hate to see this when I think of what I paid for my 342 Ti!

jamaicanj 12-25-2010 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooks128 (Post 16515261)
I'm actually going to try to pick up a second J-Frame, either a 642 or 442...Vances in Columbus ohio has them on sale for 349.99 through the end of the year...plus the 50.00 S&W rebate....300.00 for a S&W is a steal. I know of a few guys (including my father) that carry two jframes.

Do you have the contact info for Vance's?

Ganesh 12-26-2010 16:42

I own an M&P 340 also. It replaced my G-27 also. Loved the little 27, and loved it at the range much more so than the little 340, hehe. But I wont give up my little "Sheila". thinkin about gettin her a sister tho. Was lookin at those Ruger LCR's, the little 38s are sweet, and im kinda glad i didnt try one before i bought the 340, cuz they really do have a nice trigger and shot really nice with em. But now they got em in .357! So I may have to pick one of those up as the back up to the 340, heh.

2740dmx 12-26-2010 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganesh (Post 16527872)
I own an M&P 340 also. It replaced my G-27 also. Loved the little 27, and loved it at the range much more so than the little 340, hehe. But I wont give up my little "Sheila". thinkin about gettin her a sister tho. Was lookin at those Ruger LCR's, the little 38s are sweet, and im kinda glad i didnt try one before i bought the 340, cuz they really do have a nice trigger and shot really nice with em. But now they got em in .357! So I may have to pick one of those up as the back up to the 340, heh.

How does the 340 carry compared to the G27?
I carry IWB with the 27, and would mostly carry a j-frame on belt, with occasional pocket carry.

I realize the G27 is easier to shoot, and my tactics and mindset will change accordingly.

Any info about holsters you use, loads you use, etc.. would be much appreciated.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsxr22 12-26-2010 19:46

That is awesome, congrats

Cooks128 12-27-2010 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2740dmx (Post 16528375)
How does the 340 carry compared to the G27?
I carry IWB with the 27, and would mostly carry a j-frame on belt, with occasional pocket carry.

I realize the G27 is easier to shoot, and my tactics and mindset will change accordingly.

Any info about holsters you use, loads you use, etc.. would be much appreciated.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The 340 and my G33 carry just about the same for IWB carry, where I believe the 340 has it's advantages is with pocket carry when Im wearing cargo shorts in the summer using a pocket holster or shoving shoving it in a jacket pocket for quick trips out of the house. My carry ammo of choice is Speer Gold dots in .357, that or carry Ranger T .38+P.

kgwld1 12-28-2010 09:41

I have a 340 m&p that i have shot 2100 rounds of .357 through. I bought the gun to shoot .357 and thats what i do with it if you don't shoot .357 then save your money and go with the 642 or 442. Nice 340 by the way.

2740dmx 12-31-2010 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgwld1 (Post 16536591)
I have a 340 m&p that i have shot 2100 rounds of .357 through. I bought the gun to shoot .357 and thats what i do with it if you don't shoot .357 then save your money and go with the 642 or 442. Nice 340 by the way.

It is nice that the 340 is chambered for .357, but what I especially like is the finish (looks the same, but is more durable than the 442's finish) and especially the xs night sight!
So... even if you were "only" going to shoot .38+P in a 340.... for some, it is worth the extra cost!

I've gotta get one soon, so I can quit obsessing about it!

do you carry yours alot, and is the finish holding up well?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2740dmx 11-10-2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2740dmx (Post 16514960)
Man....

I am wanting one of these no-lock 340 M&P so badly..

I am considering changing my carry weapon from a Glock 27 to an M&P340 AND a 442!

One on the belt and one in the pocket (at night) and just one of the j-frames during the day, or when carrying in places where I do not want the added weapon on my person.

(and I wanted to bump this thread up to the top...since I look at it and drool every day :embarassed:)

OP: If you are reading this.... how about some reviews, more pics, carry methods, etc...?
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>

I was just re-reading my post...and realized that I have been wanting a no lock 340 M&P for awhile...
And now I have one! :supergrin:
Just recieved mine a couple days ago..
no range report yet, due to wife having her appendix removed recently, but soon!
Full pics and report to follow soon, but for now: excellent fit and finish, and decent trigger pull (for a j-frame)
It might be a bear to shoot, with the lighweight frame, but for carry...this thing rules! why pocket carry a semi auto .380 when you can carry 5 shots of .357mag or .38+P?

fastbolt 11-10-2011 16:50

I'd forgotten about this thread.

Since I last posted in it I picked up another M&P 340, this time the new variation without the ILS.

I still carry and use my original M&P 340 with the ILS, for both range and carry. It's just that I liked it enough to want another one, and decided the no-ILS difference was enough to justify ordering a second one.

Besides, I have a pair of 642-1's, as well. ;)

2740dmx 11-12-2011 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastbolt (Post 18146962)
I'd forgotten about this thread.

Since I last posted in it I picked up another M&P 340, this time the new variation without the ILS.

I still carry and use my original M&P 340 with the ILS, for both range and carry. It's just that I liked it enough to want another one, and decided the no-ILS difference was enough to justify ordering a second one.

Besides, I have a pair of 642-1's, as well. ;)

Hey Fastbolt,
Yeah, I already knew that you picked up a NO LOCK 340...:cool:
I keep up with your writings, via this and at least one other forum (can't remember which...)
You are one of the primary reasons that I trusted that the 340 would be a worthy weapon...
Now my concealed carry is down to revolver only: a S&W 66 snub and the 340 M&P.
Now that it is cooler here in Vermont, I am usually carrying the 66 OWB (under an untucked shirt) and after giving it a range workout...will IWB and pocket carry the 340 (for social occasions when the large K-frame is too hard to conceal)

I need to hurry up and post some pics and range report....but it will happen in good time, so keep checking the snub sub-forum (gets lonely in here)

Thanks!

fastbolt 11-12-2011 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2740dmx (Post 18152025)
Hey Fastbolt,
Yeah, I already knew that you picked up a NO LOCK 340...:cool:
I keep up with your writings, via this and at least one other forum (can't remember which...)
You are one of the primary reasons that I trusted that the 340 would be a worthy weapon...
Now my concealed carry is down to revolver only: a S&W 66 snub and the 340 M&P.
Now that it is cooler here in Vermont, I am usually carrying the 66 OWB (under an untucked shirt) and after giving it a range workout...will IWB and pocket carry the 340 (for social occasions when the large K-frame is too hard to conceal)

I need to hurry up and post some pics and range report....but it will happen in good time, so keep checking the snub sub-forum (gets lonely in here)

Thanks!

Hey, de nada.

A 66 would be a nice alternative to the little 5-shot M&P when you can carry a larger revolver. I picked up a decent 66 2 1/2" some time ago. After having it inspected and cleaned up a bit, and a ball-detent yoke 'lock' installed, the first time I took it to the range I remembered why I enjoyed carrying and shooting the medium-framed Magnums so many years ago. I ran a mix of different bullet weights through it, running it from 3-75yds, and it did everything I expected of it. ;)

It made me wish I'd kept some of the short-barreled Security & Speed-Sixes I used to own back in my service revolver days. They were so easily found and bought that I got lazy and traded them off now & again, and then, of course, Ruger discontinued them and moved on to the GP series. :shocked:

At least I kept a Service-Six 4" HB that I once had tuned by one of the major shops. :)

2740dmx 11-13-2011 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastbolt (Post 18152297)
Hey, de nada.

A 66 would be a nice alternative to the little 5-shot M&P when you can carry a larger revolver. I picked up a decent 66 2 1/2" some time ago. After having it inspected and cleaned up a bit, and a ball-detent yoke 'lock' installed, the first time I took it to the range I remembered why I enjoyed carrying and shooting the medium-framed Magnums so many years ago. I ran a mix of different bullet weights through it, running it from 3-75yds, and it did everything I expected of it. ;)

It made me wish I'd kept some of the short-barreled Security & Speed-Sixes I used to own back in my service revolver days. They were so easily found and bought that I got lazy and traded them off now & again, and then, of course, Ruger discontinued them and moved on to the GP series. :shocked:





At least I kept a Service-Six 4" HB that I once had tuned by one of the major shops. :)

I hear you on the Ruger Speed and Service Six models...
My very first hangun (wasn't even legal age...but good parents who "signed" for it..:whistling:) was a Speed Six snubbie.
I would take it in the back fields (had a natural earthen backstop) and practice with cheap .38 loads.
By the time I joined the Army (1984, at the tender age of 17), I had all the basics of trigger control, breathing, and stance down pat...not to mention a good ability to not flinch from recoil and muzzle blast.

Thanks again for all your valuable contributions to this forum..in the way of solid experience and advice.
Once my wife gets back on her feet...(appendix removed recently), I will post a full range report and pics of the 340 (and the 66)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.